Active Topics

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 505 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Israel
I am doing a small POC to check something out.

Basically I want:
1) To login to my user on my Harmattan device from a host using 'ssh -X'
2) Run an application from the phone and see it on my Linux desktop

Step 1 is done easily by 3 steps:
1.1) Modify /etc/passwd from 'user:!' to 'user:*'
1.2) Change /etc/ssh/sshd_config and uncomment "AuthorizedKeysFile %h/.ssh/authorized_keys"
1.3) Generate an rsa key on the host and add its content to /home/user/.ssh/authorized_keys

Step 2 is the problem.
I tried modifying the X11 forwarding settings, manually setting the DISPLAY, etc...
The closest I got was by setting the DISPLAY to 127.0.0.1:10 but then I can see the applications runnning for a second and then they crash with
Code:
QEglContext::chooseConfig(): Could not find a suitable EGL configuration 
Requested: "type=es2 rgba=0,0,0,0 surface-type=window" 
Available: 
QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current
QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current
QEgl::display(): Falling back to EGL_DEFAULT_DISPLAY
and also a lot of
Code:
 QML QDeclarativeImage_QML_51: Failed to get image from provider: image://....
Any ideas?

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
just use VNC and you dont need to do any tricks.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I never had any problem running desktop Linux apps on my N900 using X display back. However, it never worked the other way around. Just like you said, the X11 forwarding doesn't do the trick when trying to run the Maemo applications on a desktop client.

The problem lies in the fact that most Maemo apps are written expecting a very specific OpenGL ES compatible display driver. I think it's a matter of the code being overly optimized.

Sometimes I can catch an error on the display like this:
Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":2.0".

Basically, the full X11 display on the Linux desktop is missing a component that the Maemo apps need to run on that framebuffer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Surprise! It turns out that what Harmattan uses is hardly X11 any more.
(Well, not a surprise for me..)

A suggestion is to try something like "-graphicssystem raster". Google around for more information.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
I never had any problem running desktop Linux apps on my N900 using X display back. However, it never worked the other way around. Just like you said, the X11 forwarding doesn't do the trick when trying to run the Maemo applications on a desktop client.
Most probably you are not actually passing the DISPLAY var to the proper program, because running Fremantle's Gtk+ apps is actually quite easy.

Remember that on Maemo most binaries are just wrappers around maemo-launcher. Thus they inherit the environment from the maemo-launcher instance, and not the one from the current shell. Using maemo-invoker might help there.

You also need to run the theme daemon (which iirc is not mandatory on Harmattan, but it is on Fremantle).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Remember that on Maemo most binaries are just wrappers around maemo-launcher. Thus they inherit the environment from the maemo-launcher instance, and not the one from the current shell.
Wow, I'm actually shocked that this never occurred to me. But of course that makes the display errors we've seen make perfect sense.

Thanks!

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 505 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Israel
Thanks everyone.
My target goal is to xembed the running applications on the desktop when the phone is in "dock" mode.

I have a broader goal which is awesome but its too early to widespread.

Since X11 seems to be a troublesome angle, I will try to take the vnc road.

Originally Posted by damagedspline View Post
Thanks everyone.
My target goal is to xembed the running applications on the desktop when the phone is in "dock" mode.

I have a broader goal which is awesome but its too early to widespread.
It is doable (see the displaylink thread) but most Maemo (both Fremantle & Harmattan) applications often resize very poorly if at all.

So quite hard to do, unless you want to run desktop applications.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: