a plastic water cup exploded in my backpack and the n810 got soaked, like it was dripping. and its protective "sock" was soaked as well, i'd squeeze the water out of it. after letting it dry for one night, i had to snap the keyboard open so the water droplets inside would come out, the touch screen was dirty from the inside...
..in two days it worked as if nothing happened
nothing is malfunctioning or even with reduced performance, no keyboard button dowsn't work or area in the touch screen unresponsive, wireless and bluetooth just fine, gps too[though that was always weak].
i certainly love my n810 now a couple more notches.

just wanted to share.

The Following User Says Thank You to sevenhundred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
I remember a couple of years ago when I had my Phillips Savvy (Great phone by the way)
One day, while I was taking a shower, the phone fallen down in the water (I was so in love with this phone that i was carrying it everywhere even on shower)
First I was panicked (just thinking that it would not work anymore)
I pulled of the battery and put them in a bowl of rice (Not cooked of course)
One day staying there and when I put the baterry, the phone turned on as if nothing happened. It was the first time i experienced such a thing. but at the end, everything was fine.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
if it was actually waterproof you could get it wet whilst using it

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It reminds me of my dive in a swimming pool with my T39. It lasted a year and a half after that...

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by sevenhundred View Post
a plastic water cup exploded in my backpack and the n810 got soaked, like it was dripping. and its protective "sock" was soaked as well, i'd squeeze the water out of it. after letting it dry for one night, i had to snap the keyboard open so the water droplets inside would come out, the touch screen was dirty from the inside...
..in two days it worked as if nothing happened
nothing is malfunctioning or even with reduced performance, no keyboard button dowsn't work or area in the touch screen unresponsive, wireless and bluetooth just fine, gps too[though that was always weak].
i certainly love my n810 now a couple more notches.

just wanted to share.
I drenched my brand new Sony Vaio (VGN-BX297XP - google it and swoon at the screen) the day I got it in white wine. I was in tears as I held it over the bath to drain it (having whipped the battery out straight away). Three days later, after stripping it down, cleaning it and putting it back together, it showed no form of life. I was ready to phone my insurance company when it occured to me I was using the wrong Vaio PSU (my older machine was 15v whereas this was 19.5v).

Tried the correct one and it booted no problem. The only reminder I have is a chassis where the plastic is slightly proud where a plastic gromit had snapped and big smudge on the screen where some wine had got inside.

3 years later, works fine apart from XBOX360-esque fan noises (regular hoovering solves that issues but I hate Sony for their terrible airflow design - albeit praise for having the audacity to jammed a desktop-class CPU inside the unit).

- Edit -

Scratch that last paragraph above. While my previous Vaio was desktop class (P4 2.4), this one is a Centrino M 2.0.

Last edited by gregoranderson; 2011-08-12 at 10:28. Reason: Got my CPU wrong

Banned | Posts: 32 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Aug 2011
my n900 is chocolate milk proof

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Finland
My former N810 wasn't as lucky as yours, but it too survived a dip in Baltic Sea. The device itself works perfectly fine, but it randomly loses power if you bump it into something /just/ right. Most of the time I can't reproduce it when I try to, but sometimes all it takes is sliding the keyboard back in.

Originally Posted by wnd View Post
My former N810 wasn't as lucky as yours, but it too survived a dip in Baltic Sea. The device itself works perfectly fine, but it randomly loses power if you bump it into something /just/ right. Most of the time I can't reproduce it when I try to, but sometimes all it takes is sliding the keyboard back in.
When I experienced your situation, I found that the contacts of the battery where not resilient enough to clamp firmly the battery contacts on the board. ( the device was dropped). I used a really fine needle to push the contacts of the battery together and that seemed to resolve the issue for good.

The Following User Says Thank You to nakia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
my n900 is seattle,washington Mt. Si mud puddle proof... even after trying to turn it on 20 times...

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nakia View Post
I found that the contacts of the battery where not resilient enough to clamp firmly the battery contacts on the board. ( the device was dropped). I used a really fine needle to push the contacts of the battery together and that seemed to resolve the issue for good.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've done this several times in the past but it makes little difference. Perhaps our devices come from a different production batch or I simply haven't applied enough force. :-)