Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
oh Apple did much worse than this. Remember the last update that put a lot of iPhones in 'coma' mode. I'll chose the open n900 over the closed rotten Apples.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
Does the N900 resume downloads, as I did an OTA update and it looked like it was about to finish and then came up with an error message, so I hit update again and instead of downloading the 90Mb it downloaded 276kb and then ran the full update

I would say that most of the issues are multiple posts of the same issues by different users and as others have said its those who used NSU and had extras-testing

I only got the phone last night so what I think might be an issue on mine might be a bug already present

ie I noticed that when plugged into the USB in Mass Storage Mode on my Laptop the wireless disconnected on the N900, but that could be normal but then it didnt do it after the update
Over the air updates should resume as the standard apt/aptitude behaviour is to do this.

... Update went fine for me...

First time I hit update on a phone and felt comfortable enough to leave to run errands. Came back and it was finished and running fine and happy!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm one of those Apple iPhone owners that got hit with update problems with 2.2, 3.0 and 3.1 - each time the update done on an Apple Mac via the most updated iTunes and still bricked the living daylights out of my iPhone.

And I wasn't the only one [ read here ] - that's just one out of many. Updates can be a mixed bag, some good, some bad may come out of it.

I will say one thing though... I'm not fully sure what was added beyond stability and a few aspects that are not ready for primetime yet - such as the portrait mode in the browser.

But no. Apple didn't do this... and Engadget and even my own blog picked this up last night OP. But I'm glad to see cooler heads prevail.

i did OTA update while it was charging. it downloaded and started installing but when it said it was going to restart it justwent black and the orange charging lignt continued to flash. had to take out the battery and turn it back on, it continued and finished the update. everything looks good so far. wished they would fix the media player widget bug though.

I installed the Maemo 5 update Over the air and everything went fine. It restarted once and I haven't needed to restart my device since.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
Chill, will ya?
Mine worked like a charm.
I'm sure most people can say the same.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West London, UK
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
Does the N900 resume downloads, as I did an OTA update and it looked like it was about to finish and then came up with an error message, so I hit update again and instead of downloading the 90Mb it downloaded 276kb and then ran the full update
The exact same thing happened to me. I can only assume that one package didn't download correctly and the package manager just grabbed that one again (since the error message implied my update was "corrupted" I assumed it'd download it all again) though my apt knowledge is limited.

Oh, and yes, the update worked fine and I've had no issues since.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
my battery is almost full at 4.00 , because of this update and my phone is usable- problem with n900 is quality control , i am happy with the update as it fixed my big bugs- others are unhappy . hopefully update 1.2 will fix all the issues and come soon

I'm a bit dissapointed aswell. The device got a bit snappier and drains a bit less battery under heavy load. Calendar and musicplayer widgets still consume too much cpu-cycles (28%). Phone app got a bit laggier and scrolling still is a bit of a pain. It even might have gone worse.
I was under the assumption that there'd be new features like portrait mode and mms in this update, but no. I'm beggining to worry that we're not going to see them until maemo 6 via a new device