Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by NOMOS View Post
Guys, I do not know where to go with this, but there is a small bug I see in the video's... Every time a notification comes in while we are in an app, for a split second the lockscreen appears on the screen, then goes away. Seems like the notification in the top bar also triggers the homescreen to show itself for some reason. I have seen it three times now, every time when a notification comes in.....
were it a bug, the proper place to go would be bugs.meego.com. however, if you dont actually have the device in your hands i dont think it is appropriate to file a bug. keep in mind that the software is still in beta at this point as well.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
N9 retail box?

And great N950 and harmattan UI video.
I believe this was Eflops preferred choice:

My website

GitHub

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
The N9 is over rated. The E6 is Da Man This is written on my E6

So far my experience with the E6 is an exceptionally cool device for exceptionally cool dudes.
Thats good to hear, i will be picking mine up soon.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I believe this was Eflops preferred choice:

I'd be fine with this. Then, when I kill myself after listening to everyone complain about the later lack of support, I'd have something to be buried in

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FranzDages For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
N9 retail box?

[/URL]
Great presentation, just put the open box in a glass case in CPW or whatever big store is in your country, and people will be drooling over it.

On a side note, ive just realised theres a drop down menu, didnt see that before.

Last edited by dansus; 2011-07-01 at 00:08.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
On the first part i agree with you 100%
Nokia failed big time, first with tablets then with Maemo in general.

As for the N9, let me be clear, i won't get it, its just not for me. Whether its the keyboard or the UI or the lack of a coffee maker doesn't matter, i have already said my share on the subject but as a device on its own the N9 is great overall, the only flaw it might have is 5 capital letters on the top - NOKIA.

If the same device had a fruit on its behind, my bet is that it would sell like hotcakes, probably surpassing any device on the market so far.
That might be because the fruit of that loom tends to support their products better--pre-purchase, purchase and post-purchase as well as their ecosystem, their maintenance (even if it's a rip-off, at least they WILL fix/replace your stuff instantly), their point-of-presence, etc. Nokia hasn't made a fractional attempt to do ANY of what Apple does--and I don't even like Apple but I can admire what they HAVE done right.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if iFixit or similar work-out a "safe" way to dismantle it, so we can do battery replacements ourselves etc.
Keyb's a bit harder to rectify, & removable storage would be impossible to rectify.
I would be surprised if they even recognized that Nokia made an N9.

Originally Posted by scapegoat845 View Post
I'm here in the U.S. Will i still be able to buy this device unlocked ?
Originally Posted by xalted13 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I don't want to go into the nokia store in NYC and buy it with taxes; its already and arm and a leg. I purchased my n900 on newegg . I don't want to go through some online site and buy the thing in euro's either because it will be hella expensive. I hope online retailers in the U.S. sell it. If I can't buy it through an american retailer I might not buy it until the price drops.

At the same time I really want this phone and knowing Nokia might not make that many of them i'm a little worried
Don't worry; don't buy it.

Let me pretend I'm someone from Nokia speaking to you, the American consumer:

No. Go away.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Oh and....
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-in-the-us.ars
For the folks that say emulating the iPhone (to some extent) is a horrid thing
Then again there's prolly another recent study that says exactly the opposite.
The iPhone itself isn't remarkable. Emulating it, competing with its hardware isn't actually all that hard anymore. The problem with Nokia emulating the hardware is that they failed to be BETTER in most regards, and failed in EVERY regards to the iPhone business itself--applications, support and point of presence with stores are all COMPLETELY botched at Nokia. It's not enough to just build a piece of plastic junk that makes phone calls and lacks the horsepower of most of its competitors AND lacks the FEATURES of most of its competitors. Insult to injury is how Nokia treats its customers and vendors, and how they lack the ability or will to do the rights things to keep their brand name looking good in the eyes of their consumers.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The iPhone itself isn't remarkable. Emulating it, competing with its hardware isn't actually all that hard anymore. The problem with Nokia emulating the hardware is that they failed to be BETTER in most regards, and failed in EVERY regards to the iPhone business itself--applications, support and point of presence with stores are all COMPLETELY botched at Nokia.
The hardware tops that of the iphone, imo. Which does not seem to be that easy to do, because other manufacturers fail to do so. The OS and UI is a step up from iOS, what's missing though is functionality and apps. If the price is right, its going to be a good alternative. Pricing is key here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I would be surprised if they even recognized that Nokia made an N9.
Why is that? They dismantle plenty of brands other than Apple:
http://www.ifixit.com/Contribute
Just because sites like Engadget only ever link to iFixit's latest teardown of the iPod, doesn't mean they're rabid Apple only fanboys.

The iPhone itself isn't remarkable. Emulating it, competing with its hardware isn't actually all that hard anymore. The problem with Nokia emulating the hardware is that they failed to be BETTER in most regards, and failed in EVERY regards to the iPhone business itself--applications, support and point of presence with stores are all COMPLETELY botched at Nokia. .
I wasn't referring to exactly "emulating" the hardware, or even software...
I was referring to offering a unique "overall feel/experience", a far less tangible thing than hardware/software, & something that Apple consistently does well.
Harmatten seems to on-balance offer excellent usability & "built-in" functionality, the latter of which -until recently- has been a sore point, even for iOS.

But since you're referring specifically to the hardware....
Yes it's true it should've been much stronger, as even though overall it looks slightly better than the iP4, the iP5 is almost certainly likely to surpass it.
And with the release of iOS5+iP5 possibly around the same time, it's going to be extremely hard to compete for mind-share, even if it's priced better.*
Not to mention the fact that it "seems" Nokia has no real plans for the platform, from an end-user perspective anyway!

It's too soon to write-off QT applications, you need to wait until final elements are rolled out in that regard, & people actually start buying more & more QT phones.
The framework's there to leverage everything that's dev'd in Meego/Symbian/S40/OSS user-land, or to easily port from other platforms etc.
A critical element would be if alien dalvik was available to N9 or Symbian phones,** but prior news was that Myriad has no intention to make it available for end-users

I don't see how point of presence w/stores is critical, it's more of a consolidation thing when you already have a strong hold on the market.
It doesn't make sense when your hold is minuscule or contracting...
Even if their marketshare were strong, a case can still be made for them not going down the "bricks & mortar" route ala Apple.

It's not enough to just build a piece of plastic junk that makes phone calls and lacks the horsepower of most of its competitors AND lacks the FEATURES of most of its competitors.
C'mon now, you know it's not reasonable to characterise it as that.
Most of it's actual hardware components are mediocre, but the way it's all put together is arguably 2nd-to-none right now.
Even some of the components are right up there:

(1) 1GB RAM:
Plenty of much higher specced phones have this, but not too many equally specced ones.
And harmatten by virtue of it's overall architecture is far better placed than any android device to make maximum use of it, whilst not compromising on UI/usability.
(2) Camera:
No phone in this form-factor comes close.
(3) Display:
It's actually as good (if not better) than some of it's higher-specced brethren, by virtue of augmentations Nokia's done to it.
Res. at it's current dimensions is already quite respectable...
Yes it could be larger & have an accompanying res. bump, but I personally don't want anything bigger than 4", so the only bump I'd want is res.

To name some...
Then there's there's the trump card, the whole OS/UX, which seemingly won't be given much of a chance by Nokia

Insult to injury is how Nokia treats its customers and vendors, and how they lack the ability or will to do the rights things to keep their brand name looking good in the eyes of their consumers
Bit vague, not sure what you mean exactly here...
How have they treated customers/vendors?
How have they lacked ability/will to do the "right things" to keep their brand looking good?

I feel that they've been shocking in delivery time-after-time for the past 2+ years.
But personally I'm ready to give them a chance with the N9.
If they really are able to transfer all the best qualities of it to the WP7, then I'll be prepared to give them a shot there to.
But only of the end-game is to head back to their own "relatively open" software platform in the LT.
I'm not interest in a Nokia that's a glorified Windows OEM...

*Android devices already surpass it hw-wise in many ways, but android itself (barring the myriad of apps) seems notably inferior overall IMO.
So it's not so straight forward yet which is the most compelling buy IMO: top-end android with latest android OS, or N9 + harmatten goodness.
**I don't think it'd be possible for it to work on S40 phones, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-01 at 17:04.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Please notice:

"This is a worldwide offer and I will guarantee free delivery of this phone anywhere in the world by the 19th of September or your money back!"

It's just probably either a scam or a way to "loan" money with 0% interest.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ministeri For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????