Notices

I wish they would all just federate, at least for text only messages. I know they probably have their own custom extensions for other media besides text, but underneath it is pretty obvious that they are all using xmpp.

So far we have:

ping chat
groupme
kik
ebuddy xms
whatsapp
imessage
chaton
facebook
google talk
who knows what else

What facebook or gtalk should really do is implement user aliases to mobile number and just take away all the whatsapp and kik and other ones. And yes, federate!

Edit, OH, now I see msn is using some xmpp too:

http://www.liveside.net/2011/09/14/m...mail-calendar/

Last edited by quipper8; 2012-01-23 at 15:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...om-an-apk-file

i found this it is about extracting code from .apk
hope this may help

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amrarcher For This Useful Post:
That would be a killer idea

Java decompiler: jd-gui
Search whatsapp_s40 jar file and decompile it. Now you have the API and "only" need to create a client.

EDIT: Sorry, duplicated post.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I might be wrong, but so far my imperssion is Whatsapp trying to be proprietary and make money from selling the app, unlike other IM, especially those from big guys, are quite open and cooperative.
I kinda feel bad that it got popular but not other more open IM.

All data has to go thru their servers and they are selling the service, I doubt you can make a free app without being blocked by them sooner or later.

They are charging people for file transferes i think nothing more !

One more question , any open source IM plugin for N900 ? it would be more easy to edit an existing one than to start from scratch !

Here's the souce of WA and source of a telepathy module (gabble) . a workaround might get this going through .
authentication / online-offline / send and receive .. sounds pretty easy ... wonder what a mess i would be !

http://www.4shared.com/rar/C3VN9BnV/whatsapp.html

Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
I might be wrong, but so far my imperssion is Whatsapp trying to be proprietary and make money from selling the app, unlike other IM, especially those from big guys, are quite open and cooperative.
I kinda feel bad that it got popular but not other more open IM.

All data has to go thru their servers and they are selling the service, I doubt you can make a free app without being blocked by them sooner or later.
And when you conect to msn with pidgin or any other free software you connect always thru microsoft servers, other thing is the protocol they use is free, in this case xmpp, so you can get access to their network, and microsoft doesn't like this much because they frecuently modify the protocol a little to **** up with people like us who donīt want tu use the original msn messenger program.

To see whattsapp protocol you can do with a MITM atack, and then analizing the capture in detail with wireshark, once you have a conversation captured in wireshark it will be in theory easy replicate the protocol.

The Following User Says Thank You to -Tyler- For This Useful Post: