Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by belgadro View Post
what kernel? All I can find on getting exfat to work is fuse-exfat, but can't find any proof that it works.
https://gist.github.com/sourenaraya/6402692

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
I am interested too in dual booting maemo with Kali Linux, but I don't know if I have the knowledge to do this :P

For the xz file, after a little search, I found out this:
unxz file.xz

and I am doing it right now and it seems to work...(but it is really slow!)

Edit: I tried it on my pc(Kali Linux) but it didn't work:
unxz: kali-linux-1.0.5-armel.img: Write error: File too large

Last edited by bill_klpd; 2013-12-18 at 13:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to bill_klpd For This Useful Post:
Hey guys have you tried to do this:
Install backupmenu, connect your phone with your computer via usb, make a partition on gparted of the emmc, dd the image(after extracted on the hard drive of the pc) to this partition...

I think that it works(I did it), but I don't know what am I supposed to do with uboot to get it work! What else should I do and what should I write to the .item file to get it working?

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ lebanon
Is there a pro out there that can help us port kali linux to the n900 step by step? We really need it..
Thnx in advance

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mony123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
I have it running in chroot similar to EasyDebian by following the instructions on the Kali Linux website and mixing that with some of the EasyDebian scripts. I'm not sure what Kali Linux will give me that I don't already have on the native maemo system though...

Most of the good apps are already ported or just work already on Maemo, or the n900 is just not powerful enough to run properly anyway.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
I know that it is possible to have it running in chroot, just like Backtrack....
What I/we want to do is to make it work in dual boot, with uboot or multiboot. In this way it will run faster and better(I think) in comparison with the chroot.

Well, that will be much harder, since you will have to either get the Kali-Linux system running with the older kernel that Fremantle uses, or try to get the hardware to work completely with a 3.x version of the kernel.

At least that's my understanding of what will need to be done to truly boot a Kali Linux system and have things work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Just an update, I have Kali working pretty well on my n900 in chroot (using the Easy Debian scripts just modified to not interfere with Easy Debian). LXDE works well.

Metasploit works fairly well with postgresql, but the metasploit service pretty much brings the n900 to a crawl.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
Just an update, I have Kali working pretty well on my n900 in chroot (using the Easy Debian scripts just modified to not interfere with Easy Debian). LXDE works well.

Metasploit works fairly well with postgresql, but the metasploit service pretty much brings the n900 to a crawl.
What about a dual boot? Have you tried anything like this?

No, and I won't... too much effort involved there for me, sorry.

But I would have to ask why? It won't speed things up appreciably... to get some speed-up over the loop mounted file system, you can actually use a specific partition with chroot instead (see the forum posts about doing that with Easy Debian.)

If you want a more recent kernel, etc... see the many forum posts about the difficulties involved with that and why it's not likely to happen anytime soon (maybe the Neo900 crew and related Fremantle Porting Crew will deliver it.)

The Following User Says Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post: