Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Does that "almost everyone" come from the set of active posters on t.m.o, or from the larger set of N900 owners, an unknown number of which have never heard of maemo.org?

Users already here have an avenue for support when a broken package winds up in Extras. Those not aware of this community will be at the mercy of local shops that likely don't even remember the N900 and Nokia Cares, who probably can offer no suggestion other than a reflash.

I'd prefer an approach that attempts to minimize potential harm.
That almost everyone refers to developers that now don't even care about the whole QA mechanism, because their applications will stay in Testing for ages.

So, as you say, all those users that don't know about TMO and only see the Extras repository think that there are only about 740 applications for their phones while there are far more working and usable applications that won't ever be promoted.

On the other hand, users that find about TMO, enable Devel without the required knowledge and break their systems continuously, just to install an application that might have been promoted long ago.

Of course we shouldn't allow broken packages to be promoted but not having any mechanism for promoting orphaned applications is a nonsense. You don't want it to be automatic? OK, but there should be a way for testers to promote applications.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@X-Fade, are you aware that the bug with kernel-power packages not appearing in fremantle extras-devel web interface is still not solved https://bugs.maemo.org/12284? I am posting here as noone has commented on the bugtracker since the bug has been reopened and both me and Pali were not able to reach you through IRC.

Do you have any idea what's wrong, is it that kernel-power build scripts somehow provoke autobuilder/whatever to go nuts or there is another problem? Any help on that will be appreciated.
Eagerly waiting for answer about that. Yes, this post is a kind of bump - I think, that it shouldn't be ignored. Also, at least brief explanation why X-Fade wasn't contactable *again* would be appropriate.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
One thing preventing unlocked packages getting stuck in testing would be removal from testing if the maintainer hasn't promoted it in a month or something. Should be enough time to react.

This would also be a way to clean the queue now unless there are clear cases of packages that should be promoted. Anyway, I'd put the packages that have been in the queue and unlocked for a long time under a microscope and reject them even for small issues since most likely those packages will not receive fixes anymore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Fortunately, no one was "rejecting" such orphaned and abandoned package like kernel-power (which was left without fixes for a looong time), so Pali and - little later - freemangordon could come in, and take over maintainership. which would be problem-less, if only infrastructure would work like it should (package interface problems).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
so Pali and - little later - freemangordon could come in, and take over maintainership. which would be problem-less, if only infrastructure would work like it should (package interface problems).
AIUI, notwithstanding weird bugs about kernel-power specifically, the infrastructure is working "like it should". The current design allows a third party to request taking over maintainership. The current maintainer can approve that.

That packages are orphaned is a separate problem which could be addressed through a similar mechanism, but it obviously requires additional safeguards; don't you agree?

(Or were you referring to something else?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Currently I'm curious to see whether built-in QA in the client helps with the lack of testers. QA will be made more prominent in the client if you have enabled the staging repository.
I find really nice - you can just have the client open, browse for new apps in testing, install them & launch them from a single place. Then once you're done with testing, you just switch back to the client and fill in the QA form - nice & easy !

I've recently QAed most of the new apps in staging like this during a single evening.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
AIUI, notwithstanding weird bugs about kernel-power specifically, the infrastructure is working "like it should".
Heh. I wouldn't quite say that, having managed to "hijack" maintainership of a package accidentally (and with the corresponding bug report not even acknowledged almost two years later). Not that said "maintainership" is worth much, since others have managed to upload newer versions of the same package just fine anyway.

Just saying...

(Note also the bogus "latest", versionless instance on the package overview page - there was not even a build that month - but why bother reporting it?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
10 April at 16:00 UTC
At #mer-meeting. I'll be there.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
[/URL]... accidentally (and with the corresponding bug report ...
I'd say it's working as it should be if I understood correctly (please correct me if I didn't) what you did - took package from diablo and made it available for fremantle thus making you the package's maintainer for fremantle.

Anyway, I agree all these communication problems need to be resolved somehow. I don't need to see heads on plates or people punished. I'm mainly interested in getting results that work. Stating things like "do this and that or we will go and setup our own community with blackjack and..." doesn't lead to constructive discussion. People usually repond more likely when not being insulted. State the problem from you pow and offer a solution and accept the fact that others will have different opinions and solution proposals.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Anyway, I agree all these communication problems need to be resolved somehow. I don't need to see heads on plates or people punished. I'm mainly interested in getting results that work.
But of course, that is what those of us who are just ignored when having problems with repos etc are eager for. On the other hand the lack of accountability is unacceptable. This does not mean someone wants heads on plates or punishment, a little cooperation will be pretty enough AIUI. A single "damn, I have NFC what exactly is screwed up in the DB, lets chase it together" will be enough most of the time. The silence is not. Ignoring the questions over and over again is simply rude.

Stating things like "do this and that or we will go and setup our own community with blackjack and..." doesn't lead to constructive discussion. People usually repond more likely when not being insulted. State the problem from you pow and offer a solution and accept the fact that others will have different opinions and solution proposals.
And who exactly do you cite in the the context of the repository problems? Will you point to a single statement made by me that classify into the above category or could be considered as insulting, so I got the prise of being put into the X-Fade's ignorelist. Or it is because we don't know each-other's first names and I wasn't here in the glorious days when maemo.org was established, summits were held, etc., so I could be easily ignored as some kind of interloper? Come on, lets name the things with their true names.

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-04-05 at 07:53. Reason: typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post: