Guide me through it and I'll try it later today.. should be about on #maemo.

Its possible to port harmattan to our N900?

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by PartyboyXP View Post
How much of Harmattan do you want? IIRC, the N900 can't run thumb-2 instructions, which the closed binaries that Harmattan are compiled for. However, you may get some of the UI working with meegotouch.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
If we achieve to "run" Meego Harmattan we can have a lot of advantages...
With "run" I mean like an Hackintosh can run iOS, where with every update we have to fix the libraries that hangs the OS to let it run again..
The advantages could be:
1) A supported OS ("unofficially" because we take N9 updates and port them to our N900)
2) A Nokia tested OS (with these words I'm not destroying the great Meego Community Edition, I'm just comparing two views of the same OS)

If we can achieve to run Harmattan edition, we can put our efforts in "mixing" the two editions (Meego CE and Meego Harmattan) in a new OS that is a Hybrid of the two editions.
(I'm dreaming about a Meego Harmattan Edition with all the closed-source libraries replaced by the Meego CE libraries...a Full Open-Source OS...)

This could bring to a very Powerful OS I think ...

Last edited by blackjack4it; 2011-07-10 at 12:47.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by PartyboyXP View Post
n900CE Is more like Harmattan than Maemo5. Means less porting issues in Meego N900CE than Maemo 5.

But if you mean swipeUI its closed part.

But apps written in qt(quick) and components UI yes (as long as they dont accces n9 related HW):

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ick-components

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-07-10 at 14:22.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by blackjack4it View Post
If we achieve to "run" Meego Harmattan we can have a lot of advantages...
With "run" I mean like an Hackintosh can run iOS, where with every update we have to fix the libraries that hangs the OS to let it run again..
The advantages could be:
1) A supported OS ("unofficially" because we take N9 updates and port them to our N900)
2) A Nokia tested OS (with these words I'm not destroying the great Meego Community Edition, I'm just comparing two views of the same OS)

If we can achieve to run Harmattan edition, we can put our efforts in "mixing" the two editions (Meego CE and Meego Harmattan) in a new OS that is a Hybrid of the two editions.
(I'm dreaming about a Meego Harmattan Edition with all the closed-source libraries replaced by the Meego CE libraries...a Full Open-Source OS...)

This could bring to a very Powerful OS I think ...
Yes, it's like Hackintosh. However, think of the N900 being a SSE2 processor, and the N9/50 being a SSE3-capable processor. We might need to hack up some closed-source pieces of Harmattan, should running the binaries on MeeGo CE be insufficient.

Anyways, I was playing with a friend's Nokia 8800 Sapphire Arte ($1000 S40 brick, I hope I was kidding) - and the screen shows you a clock when locked if you double-tap the screen hard. It also goes into silent profile if you put the phone face down. And it's not a touchscreen phone. Somebody definitely needs to sniff the accelerometer data from the N900.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-07-11 at 09:13.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 410 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Fife, Scotland.
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Somebody definitely needs to sniff the accelerometer data from the N900.
The n900 accelerometer supports double-tap detection in hardware.
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_accelerometer
This is not implemented properly in the driver.
Though - run some program using the accelerometer, tap the phone, and you can see the appropriate IRQ (341) increment.

Last edited by SpeedEvil; 2011-07-12 at 20:58. Reason: Can't spell

The Following User Says Thank You to SpeedEvil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
Any good news about porting? Is there something that we could do to help the porting?

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
How much of Harmattan do you want? IIRC, the N900 can't run thumb-2 instructions, which the closed binaries that Harmattan are compiled for. However, you may get some of the UI working with meegotouch.
No N900 does have thumb-2 support and can run thumb-2 instructions. It's just currently too buggy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
The OMAP 3430 consists of:

ARM Cortex A8 processor running at 600Mhz: designed in 65-nm CMOS process
Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX530 GPU: supports OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0, OpenVG 1.1, OpenGL 2.0/3.0, DirectX 9/10.1 and OpenCL (
TMS320C64x DSP/ISP: Digital/Image Signal Processor running at 430 Mhz. A technical overview is available here. A product bulletin is available here
IVA 2+ accelerator: as described on TI web site, a second generation power-optimized version of the imaging video and audio accelerator used in TI's DaVinci technology. Enables multi-standard (MPEG-4, H.264, WMV) encode and decode at DVD up to HD resolutions. IVA 2+ provides H.264-based video at greater than CIF resolutions.

A 6 pages product bulletin is available here if you are interested by additional details. There is also an interesting presentation of Cortex A8 Processor here

Below is what Linux kernel reports for the processor:

oslo:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 249.96
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x1
CPU part : 0xc08
CPU revision : 3

Hardware : Nokia RX-51 board
Revision : 2101
Serial : 0000000000000000

oslo:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
600000 550000 500000 250000

The BogoMIPS value reported above corresponds to the one matching the current frequency at which the processor is running. Here, 250MHz. Below is the list of frequencies reported by the device:

arno@oslo:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
600000 550000 500000 250000

Regarding the features reported by the processor:

swp: XXX
half: XXX
thumb: the processor in fact supports thumb-2, which is an extension of thumb
fastmult: XXX
edsp: XXX
neon: supports the NEON instruction set. There are interesting information on the way it can be used by gcc on http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard
vfp: VFP (Vector Floating Point) technology is a coprocessor extension to the ARM architecture. It provides low-cost single-precision and double-precision floating-point computation.
vfpv3: the ARM 3430 supports VFPv3 floating point instruction set, used for single/double precision scalar operations. This is used by gcc for C floating point operations on float and double.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index....ex-A8_Features

Last edited by Radicalz38; 2011-07-14 at 13:17.

Tags
harmattan, meego