Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I'm confused now. Does the CSSU include the OfflineIMAP program?

I thought the "Offline IMAP" option in modest relates to activating the e-mail caching (provided by Tinymail). Basically this involves two patches (one in modest, one in tinymail).

But then I see these mentions of offlineimap.org, which is a completely different thing, as (1) is a separate program, (2) needs a client with Maildir support, (3) which modest doesn't have, so it requires (4) a local IMAP server.

None of that is AFAIK included with the CSSU. At least I have seen no mention of it.

So please somebody clarify this. Otherwise the "documentation" (at least the wiki) will be spreading misinformation.
Modest does provide support for maildir.

https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/wik...ls&id=9&type=g

My understanding of offlineIMAP is that it is a mail server program as well as a client. The changes to modest that were implemented would allow modest to be used as a client for that program.

In Tinymail we handle two types of "server accounts", that are important in !Modest:
  • Store accounts: represent storages of messages. !Modest uses !Tinymail implementations for !IMAP, !POP, and !Maildir storage. The storages keep references to the folders where messages are stored.
http://mat.exon.name/modest/

After reading the above link I am not sure that it is support for offlineIMAP. Without knowing the date of that page and the buglink page is 404, what he is referring to. Do you have the offline button in your account settings unpatched modest?

Perhaps this is just full support for IMAP protocol? If it is idk why it would have been labeled "offline"

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2012-01-17 at 16:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by inean View Post
As a developer, I would love to get CSSU on every N900 because of Qt 4.7.4 (kudos to freemangodon). Unfortunately, If I add a dependence on my software to Qt 4.7.4 features (mainly QtQuick 1.1 and an usable opengl graphics system), that work would never reach extras repository. :/
There are already dozens of applications waiting in Extras Testing, most of the interesting stuff is only in Extras Devel. Let's face it nobody gives a sh*t about the three layers repositories, so I don't see any problem in applications not able to be promoted.

We need to turn Maemo into a meritocracy, now it's a bureaucracy (and the administrator of the system, paid by Nokia is MIA).

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
BTW, the link http://mat.exon.name/modest/ is alive and working.
Whoa! I've been trying that link for days, never could get through. Hmm, wonder what I was doing wrong...

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I don't care about people not willing to upgrade to CSSU or KP or BusyBox power...

To all the kind developers that are keeping this little bastard alive and kicking, please don't care about complaints or FUD, just code. We (a number of us in here at least) do really appreciate your effort and will support you in the best way everyone can.

Please don't get stalled in the many administration problems we are facing. There is no way to promote applications? just push them to devel, there is no way to add anew maintainer to CSSU-T, just open a new repo with a common user/password shared between all CSSU developers and call ir CSSU-D.

Move ahead, don't look to the past!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
Modest does provide support for maildir.

My understanding of offlineIMAP is that it is a mail server program as well as a client. The changes to modest that were implemented would allow modest to be used as a client for that program.
Yes, Modest can support maildir, and yes, the "offlineimap" application is based around maildir, but no, they aren't working with each other. Support for downloading messages from IMAP folders is indeed built-in to Camel, and this patch (or, in fact, these patches -- I still have to check out the tinymail patch) seems to simply enable that ability.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yes, Modest can support maildir, and yes, the "offlineimap" application is based around maildir, but no, they aren't working with each other. Support for downloading messages from IMAP folders is indeed built-in to Camel, and this patch (or, in fact, these patches -- I still have to check out the tinymail patch) seems to simply enable that ability.

It is indeed mattews_exon patch which is really just the ability to download full messages instead of just headers.

http://forums.internettablettalk.com...t=55771&page=4

edit I took "offlineIMAP" at face value and assumed it was support for offlineIMAP

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2012-01-17 at 16:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
After reading through the thread in my last post it states that by default offline email is stored in opt. As one user pointed out their email was 1g which would definitively cause problems. I add a note to the wiki

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
There are already dozens of applications waiting in Extras Testing, most of the interesting stuff is only in Extras Devel. Let's face it nobody gives a sh*t about the three layers repositories, so I don't see any problem in applications not able to be promoted.

We need to turn Maemo into a meritocracy, now it's a bureaucracy (and the administrator of the system, paid by Nokia is MIA).
Well, I do care that updates don't break applications that are out there, since it is difficult to revert if things go wrong. I do agree that the rather poor support for promotions makes it difficult to get proper updates without having to go onto Extras Devel, but I'd rather there be a repositiory where we know something is stable so that we have something to fall back on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
After reading through the thread in my last post it states that by default offline email is stored in opt. As one user pointed out their email was 1g which would definitively cause problems. I add a note to the wiki
Thank you!

Yeah, wow, now that I look at it, this patch (a) puts a non-human-readable button into your account settings, (b) doesn't actually download all your messages when you check it unless you do some magic by manually deleting your cache file, (c) can't be applied to individual accounts or folders -- it's either all or nothing, and (d) can cause serious harm to your machine because it downloads all the mail to the /opt directory.

I've checked, and this patch is actually in the "stable" branch of CSSU. I think maybe it should remain only in the "testing" branch, until it gets a little more loving -- in particular, some work to ensure that it doesn't fill up all the space in /opt, or for that matter, wherever it deposits the mail. (I'm not sure I'd be able to fit all the e-mail in my various folders onto my SD card, let alone the /opt directory...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
To answer post #1
I have installed it before, but I did before there was a stable version, reflashed the device a couple times since then and didn't bother to try for fear to break a dependable device..... thank you for reminding me of it... I am installing it again, I admit I have not looked at it close enough... will come back with impressions

The Following User Says Thank You to nakia For This Useful Post: