Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
I noticed there is a specific driver for the OMAP3 frame buffer. Maemo 5 only ships the normal "fbdev" driver. I attempted to load the omap3 driver, but when I boot the N900 it shows garbled loading dots and then shows some flashing junk and reboots over and over.

Has anyone ever tried the omap3 fb driver? Googling shows no results.

edit: I tried the omapfb driver and it gave me the same corrupted result.

Last edited by mooninite; 2010-04-01 at 23:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to mooninite For This Useful Post:
I'm very interested in this as well. I have always wondered why the scrolling is choppy and vsync doesn't seem to be honored; while investigating I noticed that Xorg is indeed using fbdev!

I'm going to take a shot at getting a real video driver up and running.

I notice the Meego 1.1 build for the n900 includes:

xorg-x11-drv-fbdev-sgx

I'll try to get it running under Maemo.

Last edited by nightfire; 2011-02-27 at 05:08.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Maemo's "fbdev" is actually == fbdev + sgx extensions, which is better than -omap3.

We call it fbdev-sgx in MeeGo as to not conflict with existing -fbdev for other systems
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Maemo's "fbdev" is actually == fbdev + sgx extensions, which is better than -omap3.

We call it fbdev-sgx in MeeGo as to not conflict with existing -fbdev for other systems
Interesting.

Well, do you know by chance what's causing what appears to be tearing (or at least jerky motion) when, for example, switching desktops?

I assumed the fbdev driver was lacking some 2d acceleration capabilities and it was just a standard bitblt or something.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
Interesting.

Well, do you know by chance what's causing what appears to be tearing (or at least jerky motion) when, for example, switching desktops?

I assumed the fbdev driver was lacking some 2d acceleration capabilities and it was just a standard bitblt or something.
Caused by lack of vsync. This exists in MeeGo 3d drivers (kernel + userspace), but is really bloody hard to backport to 2.6.28.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: