While trying to find what could be the 4th level could be, i found this weird behavior when you use fn+ctrl to put down two consecutive symbols, where the keyboard becomes unresponsive except for return, which still adds lines. It happens in both nokia Conversation and also Leafpad, so its not the program capturing the keypresses for something else, not sure what's up with that. Some sort of ctrl-lock? not sure how to test it

I'm also trying to find how to adjust the keyboard, notably fn + directions for ^<>, but unsure how to skip the shift+direction designation to keep text selection.

Seeing how you guys are having trouble i'll probably back down for now (i somehow managed to get it to fail to boot, stuck on the .... booting screen from messing with rx-51, forced to flash), wait for someone to figure out exactly what's going on

I'm not thrilled with the symbols vkb being inconsistant for entry for signs that could be used for accents (tilde and whatnot, where you need to hit space after tapping it to enter the symbol, whereas stuff like copyright are entered on tap)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by IcyAirs View Post
I'm also trying to find how to adjust the keyboard, notably fn + directions for ^<>, but unsure how to skip the shift+direction designation to keep text selection.
Please see my post above where I actually show how to do this (using only two levels instead of four). You need to use "PC_FN_LEVEL2" on the arrow keys.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Complete reading failure there, thanks for pointing it out... I somehow only managed to notice the issues you guys were having getting keymaps to stick, nothing about what you guys were actually succeeding at doing.

Any ideas why editing /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 with vi might cause my device to fail to boot? I would imagine that worst case would just get me a nonfunctional keyboard, and needing to revert to the older version to fix it, but this is the second time I've edited rx-51 and caused the device to stall at the loading dots. Just trying to get an idea what could be system critical elements in a keyboard configuration file.

Edit: nevermind, I tried editing the file bit by bit this time and nothing blew up in my face, no idea what I could have done that caused system failure, though.

Last edited by IcyAirs; 2009-12-04 at 04:31.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
I have the following keys working with only modifying the rx-51 file and rebooting:
fn+z=>tilde
fn+c=>pipe
fn+left=>escape
fn+right=>tab

The only two keys that don't seem to work are:
fn+up=>page up
fn+down=>page down

The lines that don't seem to work for those entries are:

key <UP> { type[Group1] = "PC_FN_LEVEL2", symbols[Group1] = [ Up, PageUp ] };
key <DOWN> { type[Group1] = "PC_FN_LEVEL2", symbols[Group1] = [ Down, PageDown ] };

Anyone have any suggestions? I also tried PgDown/PgUp, but that didn't work either.
Thanks very much for your work here! I've used it to set my keys up with the following mappings:

sterling -> | (bar)
euro -> ` (grave)
fn+backspace -> delete
fn+right -> > (greater)
fn+left -> < (less)
fn+up-> ^ (asciicircum)
fn+down-> % (percent)

which together with tab, esc, [, ], {, }, and ~ in the xterm key bar gives me more or less everything I need, I think.

After editing the rx-51 file, I found the command setxkbmap with no params was enough to get the keys loaded.

By way of return, I think you want Page_Up and Page_Down (with underscores) for your mappings on the fn+up and fn+down. I did try Page_Up in the fn+up slot and it seemed to work for me.

One curiosity of my own: I tried to map shift+space to Tab in the second column for SPCE in the english_base section (tried "tab" as well as "Tab") but with no luck. Pressing the shifted space did nothing (didn't even get a space out of it). However when I put (randomly) "colon" in the place of "Tab", shifted space got me a colon no problems... Something odd about tab in that position? I don't know.

If anyone wants to replicate or investigate this setup, the xterm bar commands (run as user) are

Code:
 gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/keys -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Escape,bracketleft,bracketright,braceleft,braceright,asciitilde]"

gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/key_labels -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Esc,\[,\],\{,\},~]"
and my /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 file is attached.

Edit: if you try using the rx-51 file, results may depend on the regional settings of your n900, judging by the file itself!

Further Edit: Of course, you can get tab in the kb with ctrl-i in any case.. but still!
Attached Files
File Type: gz rx-51-kwotski.gz (4.0 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by kwotski; 2009-12-04 at 23:53.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
So, here is my layout for the brave few! DVORAK

The layout of the keys is:

| Ctr/Sym | :;1 | w 2 | v 3 | p 4 | y 5 | f 6 | g 7 | c 8 | r 9 | l 0 | .,= ....| DEL ..|
| FN......| a * | o + | e # | u - | i _ | d ! | h ? | t & | n < | s > | UP ` ...| RET ..|
| Shift...| z ~ | q $ | j / | k ( | x ) | b " | m ' | SPC/@.... | LEFT| DOWN bar| RIGHT |

Still a WIP with maybe minor changes to come.

Thanks everyone, especially qole, da man, for help...
Attached Files
File Type: gz rx-51.shiroikuma.gz (4.1 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by 白い熊; 2009-12-08 at 13:07.

Just a quick note here,

I was also using shift+space for tab and found it works everywhere else other than xterm... but the important thing for me was that changing shift+space breaks the page up functionality in browser. I currently have tab set to fn+backspace (shift for delete) and it works fine for me, reverted shift space to allow for pageup.

Thanks for the setxkbmap trick! I was using kill hildon-input-method for it to reload the maps, this way is much more reliable and safer

Last edited by IcyAirs; 2009-12-08 at 19:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to IcyAirs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
I used qole's xev from here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=21

It works. It's a little clumsy, since every window is full screen on the N900, so you have to click back and forth, but you can determine key codes this way.

This xmodmap is a bugger though, I've never met a problem with it of this kind on any device, so am thinking what could be causing it, especially since I compiled it natively, not even in scratchbox...

I'm kinda surprised negativelly a little by the N900's non-readiness to be used by a GNU/Linux poweruser, seems it's gonna take a lotta effort to get it into a useable state...
Seems like a broken XFree86 in the current version of Fremantle. Command xmodmap uses XChangeKeyboardMapping API which seems to be broken; keeps setting the keymap to random values (mostly zeros). These zeros are the reason why the key becomes "dead".
I have tried running xmodmap (and another simple C prog using above mentioned API) on a Ubuntu box against the $DISPLAY of the N900. And the result? Broken, Broken :-/

Someone can confirm this? Any developer understanding the issue is reading us?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikeos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by kwotski View Post
By way of return, I think you want Page_Up and Page_Down (with underscores) for your mappings on the fn+up and fn+down. I did try Page_Up in the fn+up slot and it seemed to work for me.
Worked great! Thanks!

Originally Posted by mikeos View Post
Seems like a broken XFree86 in the current version of Fremantle. Command xmodmap uses XChangeKeyboardMapping API which seems to be broken;
I filed a bug report,

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8695

Could you add your test case to it?

--denis

The Following User Says Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
thanks delaroca for filing the bug report, your test case enough represents the issue for being fully reproduced