After reading this article i tried to remap my russian keyboard so up\down keys works without pressing Fn key but after trying to apply new keyboard map i got loading error and replaced layout file with backup. Tried to apply keyboard mapping and got error again! Now i have no idea what to do, because if i try to reboot device it won't boot once again.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
What commands, exactly, did you run?

"setxkbmap"? "setxkbmap ru"?

What did you use to edit the xkb files? Did you edit them in a text editor on a Windows machine by any chance?

In fact after answering those, if you could post both your modified and your backup /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 files, that'd be great.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
What commands, exactly, did you run?

"setxkbmap"? "setxkbmap ru"?

What did you use to edit the xkb files? Did you edit them in a text editor on a Windows machine by any chance?

In fact after answering those, if you could post both your modified and your backup /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 files, that'd be great.
I tried both commands, result was same, text editing was done from Midnight Commander

Here's backup file: http://www.mediafire.com/?axjl94he7ppew5c
Sadly i didn't saved modified one but all i changed was:

partial hidden alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "arrows_2btns" {
// rx-51 specific arrows mapping
// normal 2nd level must not be enumerated to allow text selection with Shift key
key <DOWN> { type[Group1] = "PC_FN_LEVEL2", symbols[Group1] = [ Up, Left ] };
key <RGHT> { type[Group1] = "PC_FN_LEVEL2", symbols[Group1] = [ Down, Right ] };
};

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Okay. Well, IF I remember correctly, if you know for sure your backup file is completely unchanged from the original working one (looking it over a little it looks fine to me), then you can reboot even though setxkbmap gives an error and it'll reboot safely.

I am not 100% sure if the doom-saying on that wiki page about needing to reflash if you reboot is applicable in other situations in general - my contributions to that wiki article were primaily in the known bugs and multiple layouts areas.

At any rate, if I remember correctly, it should be safe to reboot.

After you've rebooted, this is how I would change the rx-51 file if you just want the arrow keys in the normal 4-arrow-keys layout -(change in red):

Code:
// Levels 5-8 are Russian, levels 1-4 US English, for shortcut reasons.        
partial alphanumeric_keys                                                      
xkb_symbols "ru" {                                                             
    include "nokia_vndr/rx-51(english_base)"                                   
    include "nokia_vndr/rx-51(arrows_4btns)"
BUT, you then have to remove the "<LEFT>" and "<UP>" keys from the ru mapping and as a result, you have to find a different place for the Б, Ю, and Е are mapped to those keys. Also, you'd have to find a new space for the period.