Hello!
So after more than a week, finally my contact synchronization app got through the QA (i feared it wouldnt make it).

In short, it is a command line python app that let you download (for the moment the synchronization is only one way) your contacts from multiple gmail accounts, and even filter for contact groups.

so, if you have say two accounts, john.doe@gmail.com and john.doe.work@gmail.com, you can finally get on your phone the contacts from both, overcoming the limitation of only one MfE account for contacts.
You can also filter by groups using a syntax like +grouptoinclude1+...+grouptoincludeN-grouptoexclude1-...-grouptoexcludeN. Check the details on the description page.

about MfE: i havent investigated possible interactions at all, so to be sure, if you use syncgcontacts, you should disable MfE contact syncing. If you dont, it's at your own risk.

finally: i used this app for quite a while now, and it works great for me, but i take no responsibility if it does some mess for you.
In theory, if you have MfE disable, even in the worst case it wont mess up your contacts on the gmail server side, so you can always revert (delete everything, and resync with syncgcontacts or remove syncgcontacts and put back MfE)

For synchronizing the other way i've been thinking already of a couple of ways to do it, but im not sure when i will have the time for that.
For the moment you have to add contacts on gmail in some other way (e.g., manually through the web interface)

Ovi store
Website

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to paoletto For This Useful Post:
Maintenance update: now the contact fields are almost all syncronized, and with proper types

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to paoletto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Hi paoletto,

Thank you for your app.
It seems to have some problems with my account tough.
(I am using the OVI store version)

First i tried to add my account with -n :
Code:
Configuring account  user.name,dbsajpasswordndajs
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/syncgcontacts/launcher.py", line 44, in appLogic
  File "/tmp/syncgcontacts/syncgcontacts.py", line 127, in execute
After that i remembered the message
Code:
No configured accounts found!
Please create a configuration file containing simply <username> <password> 
for each account you want to import contacts from, and place it in the directory ~/.config/syncgcontacts/accounts/with the name <username>
Did that and it worked.

But syncing failed too, i got trough some contacts and stopped with
Code:
NoPhoto for this contact entry!  Master Windu
Adding Contact Master   Windu
NoPhoto for this contact entry!  'NoneType' object has no attribute 'full_name'
I would be happy if you could fix that. if you need me to test something, just ask. I have programming experience, but no time at the moment to look trough your code.

The Following User Says Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
hi,
thanks this works great! im not missing the back-syncing at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to positionhigh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
Hi paoletto,

Thank you for your app.
It seems to have some problems with my account tough.
(I am using the OVI store version)

First i tried to add my account with -n :
Code:
Configuring account  user.name,dbsajpasswordndajs
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/syncgcontacts/launcher.py", line 44, in appLogic
  File "/tmp/syncgcontacts/syncgcontacts.py", line 127, in execute
After that i remembered the message
Code:
No configured accounts found!
Please create a configuration file containing simply <username> <password> 
for each account you want to import contacts from, and place it in the directory ~/.config/syncgcontacts/accounts/with the name <username>
Did that and it worked.

But syncing failed too, i got trough some contacts and stopped with
Code:
NoPhoto for this contact entry!  Master Windu
Adding Contact Master   Windu
NoPhoto for this contact entry!  'NoneType' object has no attribute 'full_name'
I would be happy if you could fix that. if you need me to test something, just ask. I have programming experience, but no time at the moment to look trough your code.

Hi Marcos, so for the first problem the right syntax is -n yourusername:yourpassword with the colon, not the comma.

regarding the second problem, i am not fully sure I understand what is the problem that you have.
You could make a couple of experiments, though.
for example, you could try to add all of your contacts to a new group, say TestGroup,
and then download them with -d -a youraccount+TestGroup

If this fails, i guess i need a better explanation of what is your contact setup, and things like these

Finally, just wanted to add that I worked on some initial commit features, which does not mean syncing, but means that we will be able to upload contacts created on the phone directly, with the aid of certain custom tags that have to be added in the "additional notes" field (for example, to what account to add the contact).
However, this will take some time, because im really short of time right now, and i have to work on my other project as well

Last edited by paoletto; 2013-04-19 at 11:48.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paoletto For This Useful Post:
You are right, first problem was in front of the computer.

The group trick couldn't solve the second one.
Interesting is, that after adding contacts to the group and doing other things more contacts started to sync. Still less than 20% of the approximately 135 belonging "Meine Kontakte" the standart group in Gmail. Surprisingly more contacts are synced with -a account than with -a account+testgroup where testgroup is the group I added all my contacts too. I also wont work adding 3 important contacts to a group and using that group. No one of them which wasn't synced before gets synced that way.

Explanation of my contacts setup? Hm, what can I say. I have 135 Contacts+ 332 under "Weitere" (which means additional, the group at the very bottom)
The 135 contacs belong to different groups, some to multiple ones, some to none.
The information which belongs to each contact varies widely. From a single mail without a name to name+multiple mail addresses+multiple phone numbers+address+notes

I know this is hard to debug without access to the problem set. The only hint is the message which appears at the end of each sync:
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'given_name'

Hello,

it might actually be that i have some sanity checks in the code to verify a certain number of basic information (name might be one of them)

I will try to check this out.

In any case, the way i use this tool is to add all the contacts that at some point i might want to have on the phone to a group, say Phone.

This means that a lot of the crap that google sneaks into the contacts (like emails of someone you write only once or something like that) stays in "My Contacts" but never gets into the phone.
Plus additional groups, that allow fine grained filtering.

I was also planning to let the user program the way + and - work (like the boolean logic behind).
I will probably do that, at some point, maybe when i will add presets too

The Following User Says Thank You to paoletto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
You are right, first problem was in front of the computer.

The group trick couldn't solve the second one.
Interesting is, that after adding contacts to the group and doing other things more contacts started to sync. Still less than 20% of the approximately 135 belonging "Meine Kontakte" the standart group in Gmail. Surprisingly more contacts are synced with -a account than with -a account+testgroup where testgroup is the group I added all my contacts too. I also wont work adding 3 important contacts to a group and using that group. No one of them which wasn't synced before gets synced that way.

Explanation of my contacts setup? Hm, what can I say. I have 135 Contacts+ 332 under "Weitere" (which means additional, the group at the very bottom)
The 135 contacs belong to different groups, some to multiple ones, some to none.
The information which belongs to each contact varies widely. From a single mail without a name to name+multiple mail addresses+multiple phone numbers+address+notes

I know this is hard to debug without access to the problem set. The only hint is the message which appears at the end of each sync:
you could try this version here , it tells how many contacts are fetched from one account before insertion. So this will tell whether your contacts are not fetched properly, or fetched but not inserted. I could not find anything that would prevent a contact without a name to be inserted

The Following User Says Thank You to paoletto For This Useful Post:
Tested it. Output now reads as follows:
Code:
libqtcontacts-tracker: initializing libqtcontacts-tracker 4.19.2-1+0m8 for /usr/bin/python2.6 [15258]
libqtcontacts-tracker: engine.cpp:1591: Not cleaning up obsolete resources for nao:hasTag property since the property's range is too generic (rdfs:Resource).
The -d option is set
Fetched  534 contacts from account roger.roesch . Now filtering and adding.
Adding Contact Name1 Surname1
Adding Contact Name39  Surname39
Saving photo
534 is the correct number.
The contacts which get stored seem semi random. Its a whole class from my Gymnasium(High school) + a teacher from the same time+some forum contacts+random people I dont know anymore. They could even be the first contacts I ever added into gmail.

Looking forward to the sync back feature... !

The Following User Says Thank You to KTy For This Useful Post: