Active Topics

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
I would like to hear more about the gps receiver. Does it have a much better "cold start" time than the N810?
what do you mean with cold start? the time it needs to activate or the time to get a fix? the time to get a fix does not really depend on the GPS reciever used as most recievers are fast in calculations but the satellites list download takes up to 12minutes no matter what GPS device you use! A-GPS gets it in seconds, as you download the list via data connection from a nearby stationary GPS reciever.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
what do you mean with cold start? the time it needs to activate or the time to get a fix? the time to get a fix does not really depend on the GPS reciever used as most recievers are fast in calculations but the satellites list download takes up to 12minutes no matter what GPS device you use! A-GPS gets it in seconds, as you download the list via data connection from a nearby stationary GPS reciever.
My understanding of "cold start" is when you attempt to get a "fix" in a location that may be hundreds of miles from where you got your last "fix". For instance, if I drive 50 miles from where I got my last "fix", and then started my bluetooth gps, my N800 will typically show location in less than 60 seconds (cold start). If I turn my gps "off" wait a few minutes and then turn it "on" my N800 will typically show my location in about 20 seconds (warm start). I also understand that there are many circumstances that affects a fix so that at certain times even my $700 Garmin gps can have trouble getting a fix.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Not in my experience, no.
I had a terrible experience with my N810 GPS -- I think I only got the internal GPS to work properly twice (both outdoors). the AGPS on the N900 gave me a fix from cold start in perhaps a minute, and this was a couple of metres (sorry -- about six feet ) away from the nearest (closed) window.
Might be my positive karma though...

PS: Cold start = first time I used the GPS.

The Following User Says Thank You to convulted For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by convulted View Post
I had a terrible experience with my N810 GPS -- I think I only got the internal GPS to work properly twice (both outdoors). the AGPS on the N900 gave me a fix from cold start in perhaps a minute, and this was a couple of metres (sorry -- about six feet ) away from the nearest (closed) window.
Might be my positive karma though...

PS: Cold start = first time I used the GPS.
I have found advantages of using an external bluetooth gps. For example, when on an airplane, in the past I had to hold my handheld Garmin gps receiver at the window to get a fix. Now I just put my bluetooth gps (about the size of a lighter) near the window and can sit away from the window with my N800. Also, I get a quicker fix by laying it on the dashboard of a car, while my N800 can be anywhere in the car.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden, Stockholm
First, congrats on your new phone. And second, i would like to know about the firmware version of your N900

Wow, didn't expect there to be a person with a production version of N900 this week. Congratulations, indeed!

For those wondering about a decent turn-by-turn voice navigation solution for the N900, there is a company called Sygic (www.sygic.com) that say they'll have a solution for Maemo by the end of the year.

Unfortunately, my experiences with Ovi Maps, from v1 all the way to v3, has been pretty terrible so that solution isn't even on my radar. The turn instructions are always a hit and miss for me. Granted, I've used Ovi Maps in the US so it may be the case where Ovi Maps is better optimized for navigating in Europe. It's somewhat ironic though, considering the map sourcing is from Navteq which is a US company.

Can anybody comment on the quality of Sygic's solutions on WinMo, Symbian and/or the iPhone? I've been using Garmin Mobile XT and this app along with one of my S60 phones is honestly the only reason I was contemplating carry a second device with the N900. If Sygic is comparable or better, that would be awesome.

Originally Posted by zico View Post
First, congrats on your new phone. And second, i would like to know about the firmware version of your N900
The retrail version comes with 2.2009.42-11. This has been confirmed by early "recievers".

The Following User Says Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
hey grats on your phone

i would like to know if you noticed any or much lagg when multitasking or opening alot of windows. what have some thigns youve done with the phone that you never did with your regular phone, and are you on a 3G connection? if so hows the signal/speed..

also what exactly is AGPS?

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
hard to get a screen protector man. If it was so easy then I would not complaint. I'm living in a country (NEW ZEALAND) that the device was not announced as a "RELEASE ZONE" for N900. Therefore the only way for me to get one is to either get it Import from USA or UK. Else will have to wish and hope that It will come out in ASIA. Until then there is no way to get a screen protector in NZ.
I live in New Zealand and have order a screen protector no problem.

Anyone gone from a N97 to the N900. I've got my N900 on order and would be interested to know what your thoughts are on the differences between the two.

Last edited by jstockda; 2009-11-18 at 22:04.

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny