Active Topics

I just went to charge my N810 and instead of seeing the charging screen, it said "Not Charging." I have only had this battery for a about a month and it is a new OEM battery. The battery charged just fine last night and I only used the tablet for a little bit today and when I went to use it, I found that it was dead. Confused, I thought I might have had left the wi-fi on with it on a heavy flash page or something. Anyways, I go to plug it into the charger and it displayed that screen. The only thing I can think of is that I recently got one of those usb to 2.5mm chargers.

Is this a case of premature death of the battery? Or is there anything I can do to revive it?

Thanks

The AC charger gives out 890mA, USB will only happily give out 500mA..... try an AC charger

be careful which AC charger you use - my sister's cheap nokia phone (i dunno the model number) came with a charger that only puts out 300mA or somthing but uses the same plug size

Last edited by overfloat; 2009-09-20 at 03:50.

I am away from home so I won't have the chance to try out the official charger although the voltage output from the USB port is 5V, the same as the wall charger, so I don't think there was any overvolting done to the battery.

power = Volts x mA

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
power = Volts x mA
or PIE

Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
or PIE
I remembered it by P=IV... as in ivy

So the 5V 500mA from the USB port shouldn't have damaged the battery since it is less than wall charger at 5V 890mA. I've never heard of a battery being damaged from the lower amperage.

Right - so it probably just isn't getting the power it needs to charge... try unplugging all your other USB devices. I have a lot of problems with underpowered USB ports too... However - low quality power supply can damage the battery

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
Right - so it probably just isn't getting the power it needs to charge... try unplugging all your other USB devices. I have a lot of problems with underpowered USB ports too... However - low quality power supply can damage the battery
I concur. Years back the USB drivers for Blackberries failed to properly charge the BBs on our Dell docking stations. Over time the drivers/handheld OS have improved as the same docks eventually did work. They also got smart and now pop up a message on the BB to let you know this is the case (just as the tablet shows a Not Charging message), but for your NIT and as a general practice, go as direct into your lappy as possible- not through a daisy-chained hub or other peripheral with extra ports on it.

Interesting.... I would have thought going through a powered USB hub would give it a more stable and consistent power stream as opposed to straight into the computer's port (assuming the hub isn't filled with other devices already).

Tags
not charging, usb