Is it just me or are there too many ways to zoom the browser. the tap and the spin are both fine, so why does the browser have to hi-jack the volume buttons as well? I listen to iplayer quite a lot and it's driving me nuts to hace to drop out of the browser to change volume levels.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
Is it just me or are there too many ways to zoom the browser. the tap and the spin are both fine, so why does the browser have to hi-jack the volume buttons as well? I listen to iplayer quite a lot and it's driving me nuts to hace to drop out of the browser to change volume levels.
There are a few posts already on this - and i think there seems to be 2 camps in the debate some who like the rocker keys doing the zoom function and some who don't (Me included)...

I suppose from the Microsoft school of thinking, the more ways the merrier, and that can help.
i can't even get the double tap working properly - so the spiral is my friend

@noobmonkey

The double tap can be a it baffling, here are some thoughts that might help.

1. Double tap with the tip of your finger tip can be a bit of a hit and miss, if you double tap with the tip of your finger nail it works really nice. i think the browser is trying to deal with too many use cases when it sees a big touch blob.

2. Double tap quickly

3. Double tab inside a block of text will cause the browser to zoom into that block of text and fit it exactly to the screen. To zoom back out double tap on the same block of text.

4. If you double tap on a blank area in the browser, the browser will try and figure out what bit you want to zoom in on, which might not quite what you are after. Hence double tap on a block of text works better.

I also like the zoom buttons to zoom right out to a small view(so you get grey areas on the side of the web page). You can then scroll very quickly up and down a long web page by scrolling in the grey area (avoids accidental clicks on links,. Get to the point you want and then double tap on the area you are interested in to zoom in.

Clicking on small links can be hit and miss. In this case double tap on the link, this zooms in , then click the link.

I find the browser very responsive and fast, as long as you use the edge of your finger nail, does not need a lot of pressure. this way you can flick up down and side to side by rotating your finger slightly

PHEW.

Last edited by mikec; 2009-12-13 at 10:55.