Active Topics

I wonder if KDE has any ideas about putting telephony up for this ?
nothing I see on the horizon yet...

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
i see two blobs in South Africa! how much to get this device there?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Holly smoke!! That video of it running all kinda of software has made me excited about even more about this device!!!! Could this be the device that replace most of n900? The part that Maemo can't do you can just boot another OS that does. or maybe run a VM .

Sadly Maemo is finally starting to cause me problem with syncing to newer software.

x

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Could this be the device that replace most of n900? The part that Maemo can't do you can just boot another OS that does. or maybe run a VM .
As far as I can tell they basically use the same technique for these other OSes like Easy Debian did: chroot into the userland of some GNU/Linux with a desktop.

So they're technically not "booting" another OS. It's still the Android kernel booting, even if you see a Debian Desktop.
This is also why you'll eventually run into this problem on the Gemini too:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Sadly Maemo is finally starting to cause me problem with syncing to newer software.
There will come a point where the Android kernel won't be upgraded anymore, and because Android isn't truly FLOSS, you won't be able to do it on your own.
Then there will come the point where the outdated Android kernel won't be compatible with then up-to-date GNU/Linux userlands and you'll be stuck with old software you can't do anything about.

Sounds familiar? This "vision of the future" is exactly what made me ask those questions in my first post of this thread.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Some great points sulu. And this is one of the reason I haven't bought into the android extra kernel thing. I feel like it nice but simply help android in the end continue to dominate and gives no incentives to device manufacturers to take real changes.

x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
As far as I can tell they basically use the same technique for these other OSes like Easy Debian did: chroot into the userland of some GNU/Linux with a desktop.

So they're technically not "booting" another OS. It's still the Android kernel booting, even if you see a Debian Desktop.
This is also why you'll eventually run into this problem on the Gemini too:

There will come a point where the Android kernel won't be upgraded anymore, and because Android isn't truly FLOSS, you won't be able to do it on your own.
Then there will come the point where the outdated Android kernel won't be compatible with then up-to-date GNU/Linux userlands and you'll be stuck with old software you can't do anything about.

Sounds familiar? This "vision of the future" is exactly what made me ask those questions in my first post of this thread.
This should be printed and stickied somewhere
to remind those of us who get distracted by such ventures that
the Android highway forever only ever descends.

Thank you for this well-composed perspective.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:

Tags
gemini pda