Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
75% or 3/4 reached. My guess is it will reach 80% in the weekend
Looking good! At the current pace they will make it with 10 days to spare!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
Annnnnnnnnnnnnd it works!

https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-touch-and-web-browsing/

well it's on a good path
That Could be the solution to n900 browsing: make a New web browser, simply at start but open to modification from the community

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I'd appreciate some input from anyone who knows something about different chipsets... what can we expect from the i.MX8 purism have chosen here?

In Chen's new qwerty slider concept discussion thread there was some good discussion about the relative merits of different chips:

I don't know enough to tell if the i.MX8 falls under one of the categories above, or if it's part of a completely different line of chips?

I would be interested in some informed opinions about how it compares to the competition! Obviously the point of this phone is that it's fully open, so I wouldn't expect the performance and battery life to be comparable, but it's still worth discussing.
I never used an iMx8 which is still a future product that is not yet available widely. I have however used a bit the iMx6.

It would be difficult to compare it to snapdragons and other chipsets design for smartphone as it is not their primary target (as can be seen in their documentation : https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/fact-sheet/i.MX8M-FS.pdf). They don't integrate the baseband for example (which in this case is a selling point ).
iMx is a range from Freescale (then NXP, now Qualcomm...) targeted mainly for embedded systems, they cover industrial, automotive and consumer applications in their datasheets, but I have not heard of any smartphone using one before Purism. There is nothing preventing to use it for smartphone, but you have more luck finding one in your car or some handheld device.

What is great for embedded systems is that :
* you don't need to order them by thousand, they are available in usual distributors : https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...freescale_imx6 or in modules : https://www.toradex.com/computer-on-...freescale-imx6
* They have good linux support (Toradex provides yocto layers for them for example)
* They have OpenGL capable GPU, great for fluid user interfaces
* Extended temperature range are available
* they are guaranteed to be produced for 10 to 15 years (smartphone chips change every year...)

So they are great and powerful in embedded systems. iMx6 are still on the older Cortex-A9 architecture (one to 4 cores), and iMx8 should be a lot more powerful with newer generation 4 cores Cortex-A53 (ARM-V8 64 bits, against ARM-V7 32 bits).

Here is the kind of thing you can do with them, demonstrated by Qt guys themselves : A 3D animated multi-screen car dashboard : http://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/03/03/cr...sters-with-qt/
By the way, it is a platform really well supported by Qt (so KDE plasma should be a breeze to port on it), as it is part of Qt's Device Creation offering : http://doc.qt.io/QtForDeviceCreation...platforms.html

If you compare that to the high frequency octo-cores found in Android flagships (like galaxy S8), it can be found weak, but it is the same architecture as found in the Odroid-C2 that powers a lot a Kodi 4k players without any lag...
It would be a lot faster than my Jolla 1 which I don't find lagging in daily usage.

And regarding the mainline kernel objective of Purism, it looks like a really good choice, seing how the etnaviv (open-source driver of the vivante GPU) has been integrated in the 4.8 kernel, and Mesa supports it.

About battery life, I wouldn't expect it to be worth than on android flagship, due to these chip being designed to be embedded : "Optimized for fanless operation, low thermal system cost and long battery life". We'll see, I have no hard data to compare on that.

I don't know if this answer your questions, If not, feel free to ask for more details.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
85% reached and since Zeta give some great info about the platform I decided to buy the developerkit to

Will it reach 90% before monday? Lets see

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
85% reached and since Zeta give some great info about the platform I decided to buy the developerkit to

Will it reach 90% before monday? Lets see
The way it's going i wouldn't be surprised if they made their goal Monday. Also noticed several enterprise pledges ($9999 and $17999}. Now that it's looking like it will happen, and my $599, will be charged to my account, I hope I don't end up getting my phone on Taobao! JK

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
The way it's going i wouldn't be surprised if they made their goal Monday. Also noticed several enterprise pledges ($9999 and $17999}. Now that it's looking like it will happen, and my $599, will be charged to my account, I hope I don't end up getting my phone on Taobao! JK
Indeed you got right 100% now

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Well dang... 100% after all. Can't wait to see this released.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Well dang... 100% after all. Can't wait to see this released.
Agreed.
I’ll believe it, when the first devices are in t-mo‘s Users hands.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
[...] So they are great and powerful in embedded systems. iMx6 are still on the older Cortex-A9 architecture (one to 4 cores), and iMx8 should be a lot more powerful with newer generation 4 cores Cortex-A53 (ARM-V8 64 bits, against ARM-V7 32 bits). [...]
One should not expect too much performance gain by going from a ARM's low-end 32bit core (A9) to their low-end 64bit cores (A53 & A55): This is mostly 32 vs. 64bits, e.g. allowing for 4+ GBytes of RAM.
Even though ARM also designed a class of cores below that (i.e. the very-low-end 32bit A7 and 64bit A35), their midrange cores (32bit: A12 = A17, 64bit: A57 & A73) and especially their high-end cores (32bit: A15, 64bit: A72 & A75) are way faster.
And the Vivante GPUs are definitely not anywhere near Adreno: In terms of performance (while Vivante surely suffices for a 3D-accelerated GUI, 3D gaming will be limited) and FOSS driver support (Freedreno has been in MESA releases for some time already, while Etnaviv is still on its way and currently by far not as mature as Freedreno; but supposedly that will be achieved by 2019)!

But while I wonder why many people are getting so excited about the Librems's hardware, the real conundrum to me is the software stack:
Showing out a GNU/Linux desktop on an ARM developer board is nothing new, but without a large set of "touch"-capable applications for miniature screens, this will presumably be in 2019, where Openmoko's software distributions ended (or where a "naked" Mer/Nemo is): Not really what one expects as a Smartphone, today (or in 2019).

Has anybody heard or read about specific plans for the basic software stack and for addressing the lack of "mobile" apps?

Last edited by olf; 2017-10-10 at 17:32.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
I'm tempering my expectations but hope I'm pleasantly surprised...

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: