Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by lexik View Post
Neo900 is not HighEnd. 1Ghz CPU / 512 M - RAM compared with SGS IV or new iPhone? No. This is not a good idea.
(...)
If you want to create comparison table, compare it with N900, N9 and maybe GTA* devices.
That's what he meant, he clearly wrote "make it n900 vs Neo900", so N900 vs Neo900 comparison table I think there's no need to compare Neo900 to N9, as we know even N900 tops N9 feature-wise - I mean, who needs a bit faster cpu when the software is locked up? Seriously though, Neo900 and N9 are quite remotely different, the comparison between N900 and Neo900 would be superb and useful. So, who hase time to create wiki page?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ rochester
I mean the other problem for me wanting to dump 600$ cash in to this is simply because we are at an apex with portable devices.

why should we all rush out to spend 600$ when you could hunt down a sweet umpc?

If everyone main concerns are for features this starts to look like a great idea. unfortunately the only problem is the GSM

http://www.technologyke.co.uk/oursho...-Computer.html

This one even comes with a GSM dont know if i you can get it in the states.
http://97.74.230.88/Videos/2010-8/22...-tech-com.html

Last edited by PWN900; 2013-09-11 at 14:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to PWN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
The lock slider on my n900 wore out years go so today I tried to superglue a small piece of plastic onto it and suprise suprise managed to glue the lock slider solid.

I have lived without it for ages and have been using timenow. My question is - could the lock slider be replaced with something far more interesting? I've no idea what though. Just a thought.

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by king Ralphred View Post
My question is - could the lock slider be replaced with something far more interesting? I've no idea what though. Just a thought.
Try this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90460

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I have been thinking about Neo900 a lot last days and in the light of recent NSA this and that it came to me that the price for Neo900 is not for the hardware or the software as it is old and rusty but still sufficent for linux use. The price is for freedome. Now taking this under consideration the decision is even less harder because what is 1000 USD for freedome? Nothing! We are talking about freedome. The problem is when you don't have that money. Life is sometimes *****.

Last edited by fw190; 2013-09-11 at 21:11.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Is the bluetooth and FM rx/tx on one chip again?
What are the possibilities of getting
1-Bluetooth-4 (g-shock bluetooth)
2-a more powerful FM tx amp, of course attenuated in software for CE/FCC but easy enough for someone to open up and at least reach the stereo anywhere in a car or dorm room.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by PWN900 View Post
I mean the other problem for me wanting to dump 600$ cash in to this is simply because we are at an apex with portable devices.

If everyone main concerns are for features this starts to look like a great idea. unfortunately the only problem is the GSM

http://www.technologyke.co.uk/oursho...-Computer.html

This one even comes with a GSM dont know if i you can get it in the states.
http://97.74.230.88/Videos/2010-8/22...-tech-com.html
I highly suggest reading ALL the posts before commenting about what the neo900 will be able to do....let them suss it out concerning what the device will be able to handle when they have a working model and the proto is ready. THEN comment.

Posting disappointment when no one knows yet what will or won't be possible in the device is jumping the gun. Aiming at the oqo...looks nice...yup... (have a friend with one ...wishes he had my n900...hehe) but I like the direction open source and hardware wise that the boys are going for here...maybe the latest oqo since(e2) it's asian takeover has lte or cdma capability ( my friend's old oqo e2 was gsm too....sorry...error in my memory...I remember now playing with it and poking around in it's guts and he had EDGE ...not gsm on it).. ...if not you are SOL again there...not to mention the most recent versions of the oqo will be very pricey compared to the e2 beater for sale for 299 pounds....as well , since the company folded and it was bought by another and the latest model never got shipped...good luck finding it's successor as well as any community or help. As far as the T-MNB-501 you had better have more than $600 dollars in hand for that one! If you can find one....And the same issues we ALL know will be present...what can it really do? Is there concrete support? How open is it?...Is it going to collect dust in a drawer in a year or two from now because the latest shiny thing comes out? etc...etc...

Regardless ...posting an alternative device as a solution (prematurely too ...I believe ) should belong perhaps in the competitive device section.

Concerning gsm ....read joerg's, estel's or mine (brief blurb ....still filling my brain and reading up on the gtm609...gadzooks! I love it...) concerning gsm, lte, and cdma potential in the neo900

post # 320, #333, #337

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-09-11 at 21:59. Reason: oopsie

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PWN900 View Post
Think rather about 700 EUR than 600 USD

As for why - because "sweet" UMPC, at idle with screen on, consumes 1500 mA, while N900 (and most likely, Neo900 too) at same circumstances eats 150 mA. Thats leaving other things, like weight, size, closed chipsets, and active fans for cooling. Not to mention lack of possibility for usage as real main phone. Trust me (tm), been there, seen that, evaluated this

BTW, as per this thread, Neo900 is going to have features unavailable even for UMPCs - for now, it looks like complete heaven for mobile computer with phone functionality.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
oOOo Iv got one! can we get CPU with thermometer readout, that would really make me feel a hole lot better about overclocking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PWN900 For This Useful Post:
Thank you all for your opinion. And im sorry but the thread has been growing and iv been having trouble keeping up aside from famlling asleep trying to read it after work. You both have wondefull points and make me want this even more. Im on board i voated for 350 but am now willing to change that choice to 650€/$ what ever exchange rate. Would be even more happy if we could get temp readout on new cpu.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PWN900 For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!