Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
http://geekongadgets.com/2014/09/10/...osoft-windows/

It's so sad to think that Nokia, the veritable grandfather of mobiles will be simply no more. A part of me is hoping Microsoft does things in a way which allows Nokia to be reborn independently someday, but Microsoft isn't sloppy like that.

Just makes you wonder how different the market would be if Eflop hadn't sent the burning platform memo, if Nokia had kept to their plan, and Microsoft wasn't.. well, Microsoft.

Oh well, it was a blast while it lasted!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to optimaxxx For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nokia isn't done. It's the handsets unit sold to Microsoft that's done.

Microsoft got Lumia brand, so let them have it. I'm enjoying my Nokia Z Launcher on my Nexus 5, made by Nokia. The company that's still alive.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I'm actually feeling happy that junksoft finally going to let Nokia go, and I hope to see the real Nokia come back after 2016, whatever platform the real Nokia choose will be better than those windows junk anyway.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
The Nokia moniker on Windows Phone devices will be discontinued, but are those the products we're really going to miss seeing the Nokia name on? Not trying to direct hate at Microsoft/Windows Phone, but after the switch Nokia's products changed. The really great stuff came before 2011-2012, in my opinion. Their hardware has stayed top notch (especially in the imaging department), and I really wish we lived in a universe where the current Lumia line ran Meego instead of Windows, but of course that isn't the case.

The way I see it, a decade or so from now Nokia as a mobile devices company will be remembered for products like the 3310, 6820, N-Gage, N95, 808 etc. People will remember when Nokia made Lumias, but they aren't the phones that made Nokia a household name worldwide.

I also see this as a good thing. Nokia remains an independent company, it was the devices division they sold. Microsoft using the name is confusing. The Nokia Lumia 830 and other new handsets are products of Microsoft, not Nokia. Call them Lumia phones, not Nokia phones.

What sticks out to me in this article is that MS plans to depreciate the "Phone" part of "Windows Phone." That sounds like a great way to confuse customers. "It runs Windows," is that what they'll say about their mobile products? But it doesn't run Windows, not in a desktop sense, and that's what people think of when they hear "Windows." I don't understand the thought process at MS.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kapu2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Finally there would be no nokia branding in crappy devices.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
The things that finally bug me the most since I am currently still affected by it are:

-Pureview camera tech under the MS license is going to end in the deepfreezer or cryo because they obviously figure people don't need a superior camera on a smartphone or the current camera's are good enough (see the celebs be so pleased with their grainy iPhone selfies )

Nokia could have so easily swapped their unappreciated smartphone manufacturer coat for one of a innovating camera manufacturer that revolutionizes the way we take pictures and.. become the poorer man's Leica for street photography.

-Nokia failing to secure Symbian support till 2016 in the whole MSFT deal. (and being excluded from maps "for life" updates is a lowly practice)

This is certainly not the way to ever win me or the people I consult over for a future "update to the MSFT smartphone platform. Nokia nor Microsoft have cared about about the loyal Nokia customer base enough. Launching a goodbye teaser 808 PV then cut its support!

Great to see the maps of Nokia the company coming to Samdroid.
http://mobilenews4world.wordpress.co...et-nokia-maps/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Where is Lumiaman?

I thought he would be the one to start this kind of threat...

It is kind of sad to see the Nokia name be wiped away from mobile phones, but for me at least it is a relief. No matter basically where you look nowadays, you can only see the wasted opportunities that Nokia (its leadership?) managed to screw. Even the latest Apple launch managed to bring back stuff. Weren't Nokia among the first ones to really talk about wireless paying methods with phones out loud years and years ago? The famous wending machine example... Wonder where those plans were forgotten...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Forget about Lumiaman, where is the guy that said Bada was going to kill MeeGo, BBX, Windows Phone and eventually Android.

Was his name badarox?

I haven't seen him in ages.

...i miss you

I'm flattered

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
If what we heard about Nokia only selling devices division to Microsoft was correct, why is Nokia.com (US version. I am not sure about other regional sites) redirected to Microsoft's owned page?

It looks like, Microsoft did purchase the Nokia brand for ever. So anyone waiting for Nokia to reborn, it is not going to happen.

Nokia has been killed by Microsoft.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Microsoft is licking it's chops with a smile and belching out trash. Now, it's even going after Minecraft...

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/...ype=blogs&_r=0

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: