I agree that the life span of the N9 is only a fraction of the N900. This is rather strange actually, since the N9 sold 10-20 folds even more compared with the N900.

The N9 has the design, Linux and Swipe and it is definitely a modern smartphone. The N900 was (is) more of micro sized Linux box with phone capabilities.

I have had the Lumia 8000 a couple of weeks now, and except for apps (not as good as Android, but WP has some pretty high quality games, and lots of other stuff), it is already getting old. I have had some Androids, and they have also "aged" very fast. The N8 though is almost 2 years old, and is still going strong, both as a phone, but also commercially.

Why is that? WP is easy. It is designed to be boring. It is designed for people that don't like smartphones. The problem is, people who don't like smartphones gets dumb phones, or a feature phone at the most, they don't get smartphones, I mean duh. At the same time, more and more day to day stuff are being incorporated into the smartphone (banking, tickets, payment etc), so even though lots of people don't want a smartphone, this doesn't mean their lives wouldn't get easier in a everyday practical sense with a smartphone. Still, IMO those people have no need or urge for games and apps. They only want the services, and they don't like paying loads of money for big screens, quad processors etc that are only good for games. The answer for these people is a cheap Android, not an expensive WP.

Do a bit of (polite) trolling on any WP fan site (for WP fanboys). The impression you get is that they try hard to convince themselves and others that WP is what they need and want in a practical sense. WP gets the job done. They may be right, 100% right, but WP is not what they desire. The SGS3 on the other hand gets everything done and satisfies all their desires. This is ancient knowledge actually. People chose technology based on desire, they aspire for something with lots of possibilities even though they would never use any of it. WP leaves nothing to desire.

WP is a total commercial failure. The people who have no desires for smartphones/technology walk out of the store with a cheap Android because it gets the job done. People who do desire technology/smartphones walk out with a top end Android. The rest, people with no desires and no clue about their needs, walk out with an iPhone, because it is the easy choice.

Back to N9/N900. It's essentially the WP problem. The N900 satisfies the desire for a pocketable Linux box, whether you actually need it or not. The N9 does not, even though Swipe is nice, the design is beautiful and so on. The N9 is just a phone, and not a particularly desirable one if you look past the design and Swipe.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
when i got my phone, first thing i did was seek for right way to enable rotation, then...i got surprise...aegis...ok,..but most of system apps stucked with "Landscape" < music player :| where is equaliser? :| and where the hell is super homescreen that could be on device like this?
i think that creator of this thread didn't want to say "oh i like wp/droid/symbian over n9..." nor that he's fanboy of something else than n9, it's just his frustration with lack of what he used to have on his perfect toy.
i think that we all will agree that real linux in pocket is something every company that created it should be very proud of.
yea, i don't care about quad/dual core cpu's i still have one desktop (pentium 4 2.6GHz) and i like it because of way i customized it during years (yes, years).
nokia was constantly making mistake by not listening for users - creating for us, instead to ask us to create for us and for them.
about droid...i will never like it as long as it has even part of java in it self (that means for ever )
about WP...as long as i can't drag executable to IDA and patch it to work way i want it to work+real multitasking+hardware qwerty...not for me
so, what is there for me? yes, i prefer linux over even symbian (i am symbian user since 2006.)
i just think that i will have to write few apps and replace system ones...though (home screen and messaging ui are ones that bothers me the most )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
@rafpac make the switch to android mate. I used to have the Nokia N900 then I broke it by accident and was forced to get a new phone. I got the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and couldn't believe what I was missing out on all this time. The reality of the situation is that Nokia can't meet the requirements of the new generation of mobile phone users.
The majority of consumers want shiny shiny, innovative apps in abundance and a great user experience...the only platforms that offer this at the moment (successfully) are Android and Apple iOS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathaneous For This Useful Post:
Didn't Elop declared the N9 dead on arrival? Not in those words but when he said the N9 will the one and only MeeGo phone it effectively meant the same thing. When you bought your N9 were you aware that there will be little or no support from commercial developers? Even if you can't figure that out every review you read would be screaming the same at you - MeeGo is a dead OS walking.

So don't blame the N9 for not having tons of apps and official Instagram, Whatsapp, Smart Office, etc. If you went in with your eyes opened you won't be in such a shock at the app situation now.

Having said that, I won't part with my N9 for any other phone. The community has been wonderful and I am satisfied with the apps I have now. There is no other OS whose multitasking comes close. I continue to marvel at the apps MeeGo developers put out like Easy Answer and BillBoard which are able to interface with the hardware and OS. These are apps which ios or WP7 users can only dream about and would be impractical on an Android with its fragmentation.

In fact, I'm thinking of getting a spare in case the evil Elop decides to chop off N9 production out of spite.

Originally Posted by derch View Post
Really, why did you buy this phone? Do research and don't post an ignorant thread in a forum. If you wanted new apps all the time don't buy a one phone platform, I'm sorry but if you want new app all the time and you buy a n9, your kind of an idiot.

Who cares what your friends think, if you do ask to see their multitasking, their social integration, their always on screen saver that you can hack and tweak, their clock app, their emulator apps, their way to close apps, their UI/UX. Everyone that sees my phone is amazed, but that not why I have my phone. I am secure in my choice of what I buy for me, not them. If you are worried about what people think go buy an iphone, lace armstrong braclet, smoke a american spirit and think you are a good person.

The n9 isn't a successor to the n900. When nokia had the Feb 11th announcement in the budget there was a sliver for "disruptive devices" That is what our n9 is. Its for nokia to learn from (kinda like the pureview). They had this n9 that wasn't going foward but lots of nice UI designs. So put it out, get your feedback and data and use that for either s40, or windows phone. We are beta testers, thats it. I am happy to be one.

Going back to apps, we have some great ones or good ones that get the job done. Do you really think instagram would put out a meego app, when they just now did android, no windows phone, no symbian, no blackberry. That would be stupid of them. Games we have emumaster, qneptunia is great for twitter, we have some nice facebook options. We have meecast other os's eat your heart out. We have more podcast options than symbian, more spotify options than symbian. We have more comic book reader clients than symbian. There might be some apps I would like but before I bought my n9 I made sure it had the apps that I needed to get by. It did so I bought it. I'm not expecting more new apps because I did my research before I put my money down. I was responsible for my decision so I wouldn't have to go on a forum and blame someone else for my buyers remorse. I suggest you do the same in the future.

Sorry for being a dick but sometimes you have to look in the mirror.
Sorry if I upset you, this was not really a blame someone thread but there is frustration in me for some of the things Nokia did or didnt do, and if you fail to see it then you dont realize that Nokia did make mistakes and now they are getting bought out.

Anyways I liked your reply the most and made more sense to reply to. First the reason I posted this topic is because I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings with other MeeGo fans.

Secondly my argument was that The N9 was not as cool like the N900 which if you aren't aware of was supposed to be a successor to the N900 as stated by Nokia (Now do your own research). Also the N9 does not have half the practical app library the N900 had or even other competing OSs. I really dont want 4 or 5 comic book readers by the way there is like only 1 that runs CBZ and CBR both. Other devices have one and thats enough. There are emulators on other Oss as well if you didnt know, EmuMaster isn't the first emulator for a phone. I am not into podcasting but I am surprised you are (because you feel that other people's opinion should not really be shared when you didnt wait a second before you let yours known...very objecctive) but I am sure other devices have podcasting abilities as well. So you told me the name of apps you thought were cool but again they are not exclusive to the N9. I told you names of mainstream apps but really I couldn't care less for apps like whatssapp, four square, instagram etc. But now let me tell you apps I do care about and should be very basic in today's smart phone technology:

1. Blue Maemo very useful tool developed by valerio for the N900 even he said it was impossible on the N9 because of Aegis.
2. Grooveshark....I am sorry but I don't live in the US and thus do not have privilege of spotify. I need grooveshark and guess what even a dumb phone like the iphone has one.
3. Shazam a very basic software but completely useful for people of all interests. Everyone likes music.
4. Temple run and other popular games..... yeah I know I shouldn't care about what my friends play but I want to play a game where I can compete with my friends. I have been tapping away on Dalton which is an excellent game and show my score to other people but they dont have the game so they dont get it.
5. Skype video call.
6. H.264 playback....seriously I want the convenience of of putting almost any type of media files or atleast the popular ones into my phone memory and play it back with no glitches.
7. A VNC client to access my computer.

Now tell me these apps arent practical? You know what android devices have all these apps and functions. What else do you want me to say I am a Maemo fanboy and it hurts me to say this but it is true. I am sorry but the list of features I gave for the N9 in my original post is better than the list of generic apps you mentioned except for podcasting I have no idea about. The smart phone is capable of so much more than this.

I did my research....I did my research of empty promises made by Nokia. I have researched this phone since there were rumours on the grapevine. I was such a happy N900 customer I blindly bought the phone. Who better to give you insight on a device than a person who has used it extensively. For people it is enlightening to can take back something from this, for people who just love the phone with whatever it has and don't need more then can say they are happy with it.

I care to show off my phone is because it is important to keep this platform alive. When my friends had an Iphone and I had an N900 they would run up to me and say hey look this is google maps...and I would say look this is skype video call, look this is me streaming videos of all websites, look this is me downloading and sharing files using bluetooth and any file format. Linux is capable of so much...and they were impressed considered getting one but didnt cause it lacked capacitive multi touch screen. So I thought wait till the N9 comes they will get it...but wait now they had skype video calls and I didnt, they had all media capability and I didnt, and like usual they came upto me and said look temple run and I had nothing to say back. I am sorry but if I cant impress my friends then they wont want linux phones, and that is why Nokia never gave a damn about it, because people arent aware of its cool capabilities, it is a dying breed.

And if I have offended you by pointing fingers at Nokia...well I am sorry but it is true, Nokia is going to be bought out, they ruined a perfectly good device i waited so long for...and thus I vent.

And for people telling me it is my mistake to move away, well then give me reasons you think why I shouldn't go to a competitor. I have given you 5 reasons for my debate.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rafpac For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dared View Post
Maybe for you, and that's fair enough, you're entitled to have your own opinion. But the N9, for me, can do a lot more than say the Lumia range of phones can do - and they're supposed to be the flagship devices.

Social media integration is excellent for my needs, and pretty much all the apps i need are available, so, i am one very satisfied customer
Hey man if you've met your needs then thats great no arguments there, but there are a few who haven't and might be interested to know there are other devices with their features in mind.

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
this is the umpteenth time such a thread has been started and erupted into a feature comparison war....

for heaven's sake if you're not happy with the n9 get rid of it and mention it in threads that exist instead of starting new ones. those whining of the lack of whatever or how it was marketed in their country even though they are old members of this forum and knew exactly the situation with the n9 pls avoid such discussion.

this forum will have more fanboys than haters both of which the general populace disapproves of but these kind of threads usually end up in those two having a flame war. for the general populace we know what is the situation with the n9 and it gets frustrating seeing more of the same old same old.
Not my purpose to start flame wars man. I have to admit I jumped the gun by starting a new topic there are other threads already open my apologies for that. But I guess I opened up a new thread because its true it was like a realization that hit me cause I loved this phone so much. Anyways man I am not opening anymore topics anymore anyways so just allow me this one.

The Following User Says Thank You to rafpac For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rafpac View Post
Hey man if you've met your needs then thats great no arguments there, but there are a few who haven't and might be interested to know there are other devices with their features in mind.
i think implicitly the N9 overshadows the Lumia
where i live the N9 16GB is a few bucks more expensive then the L800 (of comparable colors & all)
the N9 64GB Black, even though not publicly sold can be obtained if asked for and cost 150 bucks more then the L900 (either color)

one can appreciate that 64GB cost (a lot) more then 16GB, but for the 16GB models?
why would the N9 be a few bucks more expensive then the L800 if not to set it as the "top device"?

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Didn't Elop declared the N9 dead on arrival? Not in those words but when he said the N9 will the one and only MeeGo phone it effectively meant the same thing. When you bought your N9 were you aware that there will be little or no support from commercial developers? Even if you can't figure that out every review you read would be screaming the same at you - MeeGo is a dead OS walking.

So don't blame the N9 for not having tons of apps and official Instagram, Whatsapp, Smart Office, etc. If you went in with your eyes opened you won't be in such a shock at the app situation now.

Having said that, I won't part with my N9 for any other phone. The community has been wonderful and I am satisfied with the apps I have now. There is no other OS whose multitasking comes close. I continue to marvel at the apps MeeGo developers put out like Easy Answer and BillBoard which are able to interface with the hardware and OS. These are apps which ios or WP7 users can only dream about and would be impractical on an Android with its fragmentation.

In fact, I'm thinking of getting a spare in case the evil Elop decides to chop off N9 production out of spite.
I don't know where you are from, but in Europe in the countries the N9 was sold, Nokia had to officially proclaim that they would support MeeGo in the future. They did this because of all the rumors of death. IMO all these local Nokia officials did this in good faith. To be fair, Nokia has not said that they will not continue supporting the N9. I don't think the problem lies thereeither, the problem is that the N9 don't sell, the same problem the Lumia 800 has.

There is no other OS whose multitasking comes close
Nonsense. iOS and WP are not even close. Bada 2.0 and Belle are definitely close with full copy and paste between open apps and so on, but the implementation in Swipe is a bit more elegant. ICS is also close, but farther away than Belle and Bada.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
I don't know where you are from, but in Europe in the countries the N9 was sold, Nokia had to officially proclaim that they would support MeeGo in the future. They did this because of all the rumors of death. IMO all these local Nokia officials did this in good faith. To be fair, Nokia has not said that they will not continue supporting the N9. I don't think the problem lies thereeither, the problem is that the N9 don't sell, the same problem the Lumia 800 has.
I'm talking about app support, not OS support.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Nonsense. iOS and WP are not even close. Bada 2.0 and Belle are definitely close with full copy and paste between open apps and so on, but the implementation in Swipe is a bit more elegant. ICS is also close, but farther away than Belle and Bada.
I'm not sure if Bada 2.0 and Belle have real multitasking or not but switching between apps is definitely ahead for MeeGo. Bada 1.2 did not have real multitasking, only the fake suspended type. Copy and paste is another matter, not directly a multitasking issue. It can also be implemented between suspended apps.

Tags
disappointment, lack of apps, specc=ericsson, tizen is savior