Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by veeall View Post
I've come to conclusion that i don't like Jollas push into tablets area.
Their second device should have been a phone with better 'state of art' screen, more RAM, better CPU, with the same size as Jolla 1 and compatible with TOH-s. Coupled with few really useful TOHs, be it keyboard TOH, powerTOH or any other, just no more ******** desktop wallpaper changers.
I cannot see how marketing a tablet could improve native app situation for jolla phone. App development is largely stalled for phone, and i don't see it would be any better with tablet.
Totally agree.
In fact, in with the Jolla "the first one" I do already own a (mini) tablet with Sailfish OS, 3G and excellent battery life.

The Jolla tablet will bring me more of the same functionality

- minus the option to make phone calls with it by inserting a SIM card
+ extra joy reading comics and watching pictures

At the set price level of the Jolla tablet I don't expect any improvement in camera, speakers and general hardware quality over the Jolla phone, on the contrary.

I don't need either, Just supporting Jola hopefully rebuilding what's left of my dream.

Marketing wise I think I can help Jolla to promote their brand with the tablet better than with the phone.
I have a lot of experience with nobody being interested in the Jolla phone whatsoever.
Tablets are more common good than a phone which is being considered more private, sometimes laying around, self inviting people to try it.
Tablets are more exposed to public eyes than phones because they are bigger and are being used for longer reading sessions.
Exposure including fancy Sailfish moves such as true touch controlled full multitasking (now temporarily postponed by faulty out of memory task killer) and touch control of the minimized tasks might just attract some curiosity.
For explaining Sailfish to iOS / Android addicts, it helps that the screen is big.

Maybe Jolla should have started with the cheap tablet and the move to the ultimate smartphone. Nokia's NIT's only got 3G / Voice throughout step 4 of 5

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by veeall View Post
Their second device should have been a phone with better 'state of art' screen, more RAM, better CPU, with the same size as Jolla 1 and compatible with TOH-s.
Hmm. Being that it's a tablet and not a phone means that (a) it's less expensive, and (b) it's available in the US; which for me, means that it's the first Jolla device I can get. I'm sorry to see the OH concept starting to disappear already; but, given that Jolla seems to have no control at all over their hardware(*), I can't imagine them being able to hang on to any truly unique features.

However, the tablet does have USB OTG -- shouldn't this open up a host of possibilities for external keyboards, hard drives, or other peripherals?

I cannot see how marketing a tablet could improve native app situation for jolla phone.
Well, in one very small way, it'll improve -- I stopped developing my own apps for Sailfish once I realized I had no good way of actually acquiring a Sailfish device for myself (and nobody else in North America would have one either). Now, I will finally be getting one, so I'm starting up my Sailfish SDK once again.

(*) Unfortunate quote from the recent Jolla Crowdsourcing blog:

Finally, a reminder that Jolla is mainly a software company, which means that we need to rely on our partners developing hardware for us. This will cause some unfortunate limitations as we have limited possibilities to add new hardware features to our products. In practice this means that for our upcoming, very first Jolla tablet, we are likely no longer able to add new hardware features. We had to make our choice quickly about the platform in order to get it kicked off into development.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I absolutely hate GIMP.
What a coincidence! I absolutely love GIMP.

Why should it be gone? See the campaign info about timeframe for splitscreen feature release.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Jolla sold 7,200 rookie tablets!

score 30 vs 14...seems that only 30 was sold to TMO-members
Did you count me in that 30? I ordered one.

Earlier this week I even succumbed and bought a Jolla phone. I originally planned to wait until I could compare Sailfish / Ubuntu / Tizen but I got bored of waiting.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Out of interest, were you lucky enough to get the VIP box?

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Did you count me in that 30? I ordered one.

Earlier this week I even succumbed and bought a Jolla phone. I originally planned to wait until I could compare Sailfish / Ubuntu / Tizen but I got bored of waiting.

I ordered a tablet too and am sure that I'm not in those 30.

To come back to the earlier discussion, with this tablet I'm also planning on helping devs to make qt apps for sailfish, things that I was not going to do just two months from now.

I also bought one

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Did you count me in that 30?
That was just Dave's way of trying to entice more TMO members to vote in his narcistic poll. By voting in it, you can count yourself. I see currently 51 members did.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Nobody can ignore US. It's a big country

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund