Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Hello,

I have been reading some useless posts/threads for the past couple of days that I got this idea out of that..

Maemo.org forums should add a "Useless!" or similar button next to the "Thanks!" for the useless, (maybe EXTREMELY repeated post/information.. etc) posts, and what it does it gives a -1 "Thanks" to the person..

Even if the person is new or has 0 Thanks.. it would go to negative.. This way.. maybe.. just maybe they will start using the search more and stop posting useless posts/threads.. And also people would quickly know that this person might post something useless, if they see that he has -"thanks"...

This is just a thought.. and I hope it get taken into consideration.. In hopes that the forums of Maemo.org will be even better and better.. <3

Last edited by bandora; 2009-11-12 at 06:19.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Useless post :-)

While I welcome ideas to increase signal to noise and remove clutter I think the above scheme would make this place very unfriendly for newbies. They already have to endure unfriendly answers from older forum members like: the solution to your problem is known just google it; or this thread from 2007 answers your question why did you not find it yourself before posting.
But your idea of improving the forum quality / search-ability in general is a good one, and maybe people should just click the thank you button more often to make the good posts stand out in a positive way.

Last edited by rocketscientist; 2009-11-12 at 07:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rocketscientist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Here is a similar idea, somewhat presented less abrasively (read: better).

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33168
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Hmmm... Then i think a simple "+ and -" would do the trick.. Just like engadget.. The more the post gets a plus the more it will be visible.. And the more the post gets a minus.. The more it will be less visible... The plus could be as a thanks too... Or it could be just for making the post stand out more.. And the minus will only make the post less visible and won't affect the karma system..

Last edited by bandora; 2009-11-12 at 07:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
...Although there are a few peoples' faces, whom I'd like to staple a note with the word 'useless' to... it would instigate flame wars and be generally disruptive and be used for petty reasons.

Additionally I would like to point out that you can "Rate this thread" (at the top) to give a thread a star-based rating.

It shouldn't take too long on this forum to [personally] determine who is contributing, who is spreading misinformation ,and who is just along for the ride.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
...Although there are a few peoples' faces, whom I'd like to staple a note with the word 'useless' to... it would instigate flame wars and be generally disruptive and be used for petty reasons.

Additionally I would like to point out that you can "Rate this thread" (at the top) to give a thread a star-based rating.

It shouldn't take too long on this forum to [personally] determine who is contributing, who is spreading misinformation ,and who is just along for the ride.
Lol! And i did notice the rate the thread... Which is great! But what about the individual posts within the threads.. You know?

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
NOOO!!!! No one will know what they are talking about!!!
haha.. lol