Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Reeby View Post
Cheers!

That'd be cool! Also (sorry, haven't been checking the tickets lately) I've noticed that of all GPS aps I have on my device the only one that allows me to easily save my current position as a POI is.....Sygic. I mean - just one click and you're at the input menu to enter, say a "Treasure chest location" ))) But seriously - just one-click action to pinpoint your position would be nice, wouldn't it?
This will be a part of the planned POI functionality, current position should be just one of many possibilities for adding new POI.
But a good point with the single click position adding, that could be also a nice and practical feature. It could work like this:
  • "enable single click POI" somewhere in the POI menu
  • a new button on the map screen shows up called "position as POI"
  • when you press the button, name + description input menu pops up

Originally Posted by zombiepig View Post
Searching in google maps for "pizza near -37.83582, 144.88190" works, but I don't get these results in modrana. Is there a debug mode I can enable to get a log or something?
I dragged the map all the way to those coordinates (Australia, BTW ) and also no results. Ill try to find what is causing it.

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
search for beer instead.
Searching for custom queries is planed.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
It could work like this:
  • "enable single click POI" somewhere in the POI menu
  • a new button on the map screen shows up called "position as POI"
  • when you press the button, name + description input menu pops up
Yeah, that's the thing - quick adding. When you're driving by a place you think you'll need in your database then you wanna pinpoint it on the fly.
Now, back to bugs:
Spent some 40 mins yesterday downloading tiles around my position. Put everything on Max. Then went offline - Nothing. In fact what I get is a white screen this time )) This morning I couldn't even find myself....
(observation - when I hit "start" to download tiles, the icon hadn't been changed and showed START all the time while downloading)

Last edited by Reeby; 2010-08-13 at 04:28.

[QUOTE=Reeby;784906]
Now, back to bugs:
Spent some 40 mins yesterday downloading tiles around my position. Put everything on Max. Then went offline - Nothing. In fact what I get is a white screen this time )) This morning I couldn't even find myself....
[QUOTE=Reeby;784906]
What exactly went wrong ?
  • white screen some time after starting batch download ?
  • white screen after starting modRana again after a batch download ?
  • batch download caused the position indicator to disappear ?
Just to clarify.

(observation - when I hit "start" to download tiles, the icon hadn't been changed and showed START all the time while downloading)
This should be fixed in 13-3 which I pushed a while ago.
13-3 Changelog:
  • batch download and size estimation can be now properly stopped from the menu
  • refresh the screen even when centering is off
    (this means, that even when centering is disabled, your position and other information on screen gets updated periodically even without interacting with the screen)

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
This should be fixed in 13-3 which I pushed a while ago.
13-3 Changelog:
  • batch download and size estimation can be now properly stopped from the menu
  • refresh the screen even when centering is off
    (this means, that even when centering is disabled, your position and other information on screen gets updated periodically even without interacting with the screen)
Version 13-3 has some unfortunate problems which prevent the package from being updated.
chmod OpenStreetMap: useless but as soon as I created empty directory OpenStreetMap, the problem went away
chmod II: No such file or directory: where do you look for it and why?
Strangely, the directories like II/14/... correspond exactly to existing directories in OpenStreetMap\ II/14/....

Maybe, you have forgotten \ while writing the path to tiles: in commands, it should be OpenStreetMap\ II?
Fix it as soon as possible, then! It shouldn't be difficult.
Best wishes.

Edit: In fact, modRana 13-3 was successfully installed, despite the App Manager's message. Problems in postinst script haven't cancelled the update.

Edit: In order to be able to log a track, I had to type again
chmod 0777 -R /opt/modrana
otherwise modRana would notify that log couldn't be saved.

Great work! Thanks again!

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-08-14 at 11:39.

Just to clarify.
Clarifying: TILES GONE! I did downloaded them and it showed some 7.6 mb done...but...this morning it started to eat my traffic again just to show me my position. Not to mention the area around. It's like I never did the batch download. Frustrating!

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Connect N900 with USB cable in mass storage mode and find the place where the tiles are situated. In normal case, they are in folder
.maps/OpenStreetMap II/

If they are in .modRana_tiles/OSM/ then just move them to .maps/OpenStreetMap II/

It should look like
.maps/OpenStreetMap II/ZoomLevelNumber/XNumber/YNumber.png

I don't know whether it helps because I have never used download function of modRana: I downloaded tiles through PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I don't know whether it helps because I have never used download function of modRana: I downloaded tiles through PC.
Thanks, will do that.
Speaking of PC. There've been some aps mentioned here. Wanna try them. Could you tell me - in case of pc downloading, I just do the same procedure - move whatever I'd downloaded to the specified folder - .maps ? I mean, no other manual work or do I have to sort them somehow?

Thanks, will do that.
Speaking of PC. There've been some aps mentioned here. Wanna try them. Could you tell me - in case of pc downloading, I just do the same procedure - move whatever I'd downloaded to the specified folder - .maps ? I mean, no other manual work or do I have to sort them somehow?
Instructions for OpenStreetMap tiles (I do it without an app, manually).
All tiles should be saved in folder
.maps\OpenStreetMap II\
in the following way:

open page
http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Browse/tile/1/1/1/
and save all the images you want to see in ModRana, like:

http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Tiles/tile/1/1/0.png
goes to
.maps\OpenStreetMap II\1\1\0.png

http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Tiles/tile/6/36/18.png
goes to
.maps\OpenStreetMap II\6\36\18.png

and so on.

Thus, ModRana uses the same folder tree as OpenStreetMap, and there should be no difficulties with any app downloading tiles of OpenStreetMap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Project status update:
Just got back from a short vacation, that was combined with field testing modRana and OSM mapping (BTW, OSM2go is really good for this ).

I am currently working on Turn-by-Turn navigation, initial implementation will show up in next release, which should be coming shortly. Then I'll do the POI upgrade + other various fixes, new features, etc.

So thats it for now.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Project status update:
Just got back from a short vacation, that was combined with field testing modRana and OSM mapping (BTW, OSM2go is really good for this ).

I am currently working on Turn-by-Turn navigation, initial implementation will show up in next release, which should be coming shortly. Then I'll do the POI upgrade + other various fixes, new features, etc.

So thats it for now.
I'm dumb, does turn by turn navigation mean voice navigation?

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps