i get following error in terminal

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

and i cant either download/install via Ovi Store ...

is there something i can do? i tried rebooting but no luck...

Reflash man same thing happened to me. Happy new year.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
As root:
rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

thanks! will try that in moment, reflashing isnt really option and i dont wanna use backup, if there are some commands id rather use them to fix the system.

Last edited by Lovsan; 2011-12-31 at 19:07.

If you want to investigate it further, it should be relatively easy to check whether the process that created the lock file is still running or not (the lock file should contain the PID of the process that is using it). It's just Linux, no black magic involved.

i dont have much experience with linux, i have always used windows. im considering to install linux tho.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Lovsan View Post
and not running that code btw :P removing the lock file?
You should. I've done that many times without issues and it has solved this kind of problems.

Sometimes it has been because an application I have installed. Uninstalling said application has resolved the problem. But even in those situations removing the lock file could have worked, I just haven't tried.

Anyway removing the lock file should be safe if you know there is no application updates going on.

This lock file should be removed automatically when you are finished installing stuff. You were probably installing something, and the installer crashed before it finished - that's why the lock file is still present. Now when you try to run the installer again again, it sees the lock file and thinks "hey! installation is already running" and that's why it shows that error and won't let you install anything. In that case you will have to remove the lock file manually.

the weird thing is that it doesnt let me download anyting from store. i can click download buttong but nothing happens, really weird

i will report later on, im now watching finland - czech u20 game via stream and dont want anything to interrupt

happy new year every and thanks for the help !

Oh yeah, I can totally understand that. Go Czech!