Active Topics

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by tanago View Post
Its a very long procedure to reflash - reinstalling programs, copying media to and from the PC - 2-3 hours. Nevermind I made my own .bashrc and .profile and now its working
u can reflash rootfs only

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
You will do well to mark this as solved.
Otherwise they were right who told you nothing of value is in /root. Maybe you meant /

Its a very long procedure to reflash - reinstalling programs, copying media to and from the PC - 2-3 hours. Nevermind I made my own .bashrc and .profile and now its working
Best way IMO. Start off with an "out of the box" device but only restore contacts and communications settings.
Any other settings could be corrupted and take you back to square one before the reflash.

Doesn't take too long if you restore your apps over WifI anyway.

Posts: 215 | Thanked: 448 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Burgas, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by qhubekela View Post
You will do well to mark this as solved.
Otherwise they were right who told you nothing of value is in /root. Maybe you meant /
No I didn't mean / , I meant /root ! When you open Xterm the directory 'cd'-ed is /home/user/ when you execute "root/rush/sudo gainroot" it cd-es to /root folder and I deleted its contents. And you are wrong, THERE IS value in its contents

and yes I want to mark this as solved.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
No I didn't mean / , I meant /root ! When you open Xterm the directory 'cd'-ed is /home/user/ when you execute "root/rush/sudo gainroot" it cd-es to /root folder and I deleted its contents. And you are wrong, THERE IS value in its contents

and yes I want to mark this as solved.
The PATH is originally set in /etc/profile, but that doesn't include the "root only" directories (/sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/sbin). It doesn't cost much to add those in /etc/profile, plus you get the benefit of some programs being accessible by user "user" (given the complete lack of security in Maemo5 thanks to abusing passwordless sudo, you can always chmod +s whatever you want to run "as root" being "user").