Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Just was thinking. Around all the excitement/fuss that has been Maemo5, there are have been very few demonstrations of the kinds of innovations that normobs (for lack of a better term) can use, nor how on a more grassroots level how the platform changes things (besides in the easier VoIP/SIP usage, which is not a concern to many).

So here's my question:
Where's the mobile wallet support?

And I don't mean that antiquated, semi-blackbook nonsense of having an application that *securly* holds your passwords and bank card information. But I mean the support within the platform (OS and device(s)) to be a mobile wallet for users to the point that it would change how they view and use a mobile device in this wise.

(a) Is there support for NFC or similar short-wave, secure protocols for doing this?

(b) Are there developers looking into building these apps, including working with Nokia and other players towards making an actual marketable effort out of this?

(c) And given that the Nokia 6216 Classic has this feature/ability, why not include such techie-ness in the platform leading device that would be the hands of these influencer-type persons?

*This isn't a knock on the platform, just a question of asking for culture-changing innovations, rather than hanging on the "better hardware/newer software" one.

nfc is the killer app i've been waiting for in a smart phone. i love the idea of contactless payment. i was hoping my next handset would support it but symbian don't list it in its spec until symbian^4 ( i think) and maemo6 is going to be an age away and there's no mention nfc will be included in that?
i don't suppose nokia would of included the nfc hardware in the n900 and not told anyone???

Tags
innovation, maemo 5, n900, ncf, normal people