Active Topics

I would not recommend the solio charger. Yes I know it may be enticing and all with the ''power from the sun'' marketing spiel, but the bottom line is, you're better off charging it through an outlet. I live in Southern California and it took 3 days for this thing to fully charge in full sun! 3 days!!! So I would suggest save your money and buy something less expensive.

Originally Posted by jibanes View Post
There you go:

-loop <number>
Loops movie playback <number> times. 0 means forever.
hmmm... where?

I tried mediaplayer-ui -loop 0 file.avi in an xterm but that didnt seem to work.

Where can I find the man page for mediaplayer command line opts?

Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
I tried mediaplayer-ui -loop 0 file.avi in an xterm but that didnt seem to work.
mediaplayer-ui is a different program from mplayer, mplayer -loop is what you want.

Originally Posted by dblank View Post
mediaplayer-ui is a different program from mplayer, mplayer -loop is what you want.
doh! I thought mplayer was the default player (bear in mind I only got my n800 6 days ago )

So, mplayer isn't pathed and find / -name mplayer -print is borking on system files. Is mplayer installed by default in os2008 or do I have to install it? I don't see it in Application Manager.

This is what I use http://www.tekkeon.com/site/products-mypowergo.php even comes with a connector that works with with my 770 which i believe is same as the N800. I use 2500 mha AA batteries with it and was able to easily get 10 plus hours out of my 770 watching movies. And even then the AA has 50% of life left while the 770 battery was still fully charged. And it was a nice price, under $20.

But it should be noted that it doesn't actually charge my 770, I don't think there is enough current to do so, but works great as a supplement power supply.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
Try either doing a search here with the words ' proporta battery' or just go to Proportas web page. I currently have one of these on order from them. It is external and does , of course, have a wire that connects to your power input port since it comes with Nokia adapters. It will probably easily power your n810 for the 10 hours you need.
And I think the price is quite reasonable as well. It is costing me $64 including shipping from the UK to Seattle, WA, USA. It is quite versatile since that price buys you the battery, plus a power charge cable that has a USB end that can be plugged into your computer or a car power adapter, or a universal AC power adapter. ( both of these supplied with the product)
Check out youtube for video on this product.
My experience was that they seem to only sell direct rather than through other dealers.

Hope this helps.
Neil
I have a proporta charger and really recommend it. I use it all the time for my N95 for when I go on a photo project.

It has 3400 mah of storage, that should be 2 full recharges for a tablet.

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05...725&t_mode=des

I had an Energizer AA battery charger. I didnt like it.

Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
This is what I use http://www.tekkeon.com/site/products-mypowergo.php even comes with a connector that works with with my 770 which i believe is same as the N800.
Looks like that is discontinued.

I think this is the new model:

TekCharge MP1550

Compatibility list is here:

myCharger Compatibility

I see the old one mentioned MP1500 mentioned as being specifically n800/n810 compatible but no mention of the new MP1550.

Update: ordered one

Last edited by petergunn; 2008-01-01 at 02:45.

Indeed very interesting thread, I'm somewhat suspicious of the advertised specs of the mp1500, but considering it (or should) provide 1500mAh and the Nokia (pretty much all the Nxx0) are using 1000mAh it makes sense that this would provide 1.5 hence 1h30mn of external power source. For $30, it's pretty good (+ few bucks for the batteries).

Now, nobody said we couldn't put "bigger" batteries in the mp1500, such as these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-2500-Rech...9157240&sr=8-1
or better:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Battery-C...9157763&sr=8-1

That might get interesting, a whooping 2.5 hours of lifetime for a few bucks, this ain't bad. This obviously assumes that the discharge characteristics of Ni-Mh batteries allow the mp1500 to provide a solid 5v, talking about batteries, is the Nxx0 using a Li-ion or Ni-Mh internally?

Petergunn, would you be able to let us know what sort of battery lifetime you get out of the MP1500 whenever you receive it, under different load patters obviously.

Thanks! (and a happy 2008)

Originally Posted by jibanes View Post
Petergunn, would you be able to let us know what sort of battery lifetime you get out of the MP1500 whenever you receive it, under different load patters obviously.
Sure, I ordered 4xAA 2000mah Sanyo Eneloops so I should be able to compare the MP1550@8000mah with the generic Soshine unit I got from dealextreme (BeOne@3600mah on cheapo soshine NiMH AAAs).

Have to wait until it turns up next year or course, and I get a break from work etc., but I'll post when I get some info.

BTW I see 2700mah NiMH AAs on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-NiMH-Rec.../dp/B000IV413S

Anyway, still need a nice easy stress test to do the compare. I don't seem to have mplayer and its not in any of my current os2008 repos.

In the meantime - happy new year! (55mins to go for me but I'm on the Whisky already (just the Irish stuff for now )).

Well, thanks a lot, your findings will be quite valuable for the entire community. I've been waiting for a long time for "the perfect pda", but how good is a pda when its battery is dead? Well, thanks to you, we might have a solution there.

(3hours 45mns to go before 2008 on the west coast, time to open some bottles)