Notices

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Hello folks,
this thread was created specifically for the project "Homeworld", which will focus on bringing this classical space rts, awarded by PC Gamer and IGN "Game of the year - 1999", to the Nokia N900 and Maemo 5 OS. Below you will find all the details regarding this idea which I came up with, knowing the N900 needs and deserves a quality game like this. If Quake 3 was ported, this will be as well.

Game Info
Homeworld is a real-time strategy computer game released on September 28, 1999, developed by Relic Entertainment and published by Sierra Entertainment. It is best known for its full three-dimensional movement, engrossing storyline and unique soundtrack. Homeworld was followed by Homeworld 2 in 2003.

Opening Cutscene (Movie & In-Game):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrW4jkQdmjI

Some Gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqjd_IlJbrQ

System Requirements

Minimum:
* Pentium II 233 processor
* 32-MB RAM
* 80 MB HD Space (plus 50 MB permanent Swap File)
* 4 MB PCI Video Card

Recommended:
* Pentium II 350+
* 64 MB RAM
* 600 MB HD Space (For Full Installation)
* 12 MB+ Accelerated Video Card

What we have available...
* Homeworld Retail - Linux Version
* Homeworld SDK Source-code
* Maemo 5 SDK
* Nokia N900
* Bunch of software

Possible challenges ahead
* Choosing the optimal rendering method: Software/OpenGL/Direct3D (The game offers all three)
* Adapting the renderer to be compatible with the N900
* Remapping the controls
* Reconfiguring game settings and menu options schemes
* Compressing textures
* Compressing video files
* Compressing audio files
* Resolution lock: 800x480 (Native N900 resolution)
* Optimizing the performance
* Do not fry the CPU

Setting up a Team...
* Producer (Me)
* Lead Coder
* Coders (2+)
* Textures
* Audio/Video
* Testers & QA (3+)
* PR/Marketing

All in all having 10 members working on the project would be ideal.

Ideal Timeline
* November 2009 - Start working
* December 2009 (Christmas) - Early build (test demo)
* February 2010 - Alpha
* April 2010 - Beta
* May 2010 - Last tweaks, Pre-Final
* June 2010 - Final version, release

Contact details
* PM via Maemo.org
* Email: jackoneill123 (at) gmail (dot) com

Timezone Details
Jack6428 (Producer) - GMT+1

Want to help and join?
* Have interest in this project
* Speak English
* Know how to code
* Have skills with textures/recompiling
* Contact me either by replying here or by using contacts listed above
* Don't worry, be happy!

I hope this idea will be welcome and if anyone can help in any way, please do so. This was a great game and still has a great fan-base even today. Let's take the mothership out to the streets, onto the N900 and show the iPhone real gaming!

Thank you !

Last edited by Jack6428; 2009-10-16 at 00:50.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
This looks really organised start and looks like (for me at least) that you know your stuff. BUT I have to say something I read earlier considering Homeworld and N900... Homeworld on N900 sized screen?? You think it would be easily playable?

I loved Homeworld and Homeworld2 so I am not against this idea, not at all, I'd love to see playable N900 version of the game. I hope this project is feasible, I really do.
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
I agree.
Jack, mind if I borrow your layout - I've got a caper in mind and I've been told I don't show roadmaps

also, i'll keep an eye on this thread and see if i can help with making things faster

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
@Soulfarmer: Thanks for the reply. Nice to see a fellow Homeworld fan. I thought about the screen size, yes, and it isn't the biggest, but should be very doable. Look at the PSP, that has a 3,5'' too, but gaming on it is without problems. I'm sure this won't be much of an issue.

@lcuk: Thx for replying. How much would you borrow ? By the way, thank you for your help, would be appreciated.

Jack
just the flow i need to write up an outline and present it properly, you certainly did that.

I enjoy gaming and want the best experience.
JavisPedro is the hacker you would be beneficial to seek guidance from.
He ported one of the emulators and has been doing some groundwork on implementing opengles from scratch.

I have liqbase available which may also provide a possible rendering surface, though looking at the game preview doubt it.
It looks like we are getting 3d drivers for the n8x0 as well, so if optimized enough could be for those devices too

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
According to Wikipedia entry it is already ported to Linux. Probably x86-32 though. That'd be a starting point. I also wonder about the license of the source code. You see, Quake1/2/3 is GPL.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I also wonder about the license of the source code.
you make a good point

"Specifically, the LICENSEE hereby assigns all right, title and interest
arising out of any such MODIFIED SOFTWARE to RELIC [...]"

source

i don't like the sound of that...

but i would very much appreciate a port of one of my all-time favourites, so i hereby offer my services as a Tester should this really take shape.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
As someone that's worked as a producer in both cell phone gaming and console gaming, I'm going to need to bring some of your ideas back down to earth a bit.

First, unless the source for Homeworld itself (or a suitable clone) already exists, this project isn't getting off the ground unless a ton of Maemo programmers are huge Homeworld fans or you are hiring them.

Secondly, your timeline - in the best case scenario that Homeworld source is already available - is already WAY too aggressive. If that source code does not exist and you want to create your own clone specific for the N900, your timeline couldn't be achieved even with 50 programmers working on it 80 hours a week. It's completely unrealistic.

Porting is a very difficult proposition. It's not something that you can do in the snap of a finger like most game players seem to think when they hear the word "port". Often times the port ends up being much harder to achieve than the original product.

I want to see something like this achieved, but thinking that you'll have it all complete and finished with 10 people who are not being paid and working on their free time before the end of 2010 is delusional.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Homeworld 1 is open-sourced.