Notices

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@Amboss,

The kernel is stored in one of the MTD partitions. The rootfs is another one of the MTD partitions.

Don't know if you can simply read/write to any of those partitions (except the rootfs which has a file system).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Don't know if you can simply read/write to any of those partitions (except the rootfs which has a file system).
You can't that why we need flasher (on both kernel installation from repos, and flashing locally), over plain cp or untar.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

@Estel,

Yup, but perhaps something like:

# cat bzImage > /dev/mtd3

might work to easily flash a new kernel.
However I get "Error: Insufficient balls"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
You can try to use dd: dd if=bzImage of=/dev/mtd3

But it is better to use flasher.
There is a N900's version so you can flash from phone itself (using flasher + softupd) which the same method used by multiboot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
@Fabry,

Have *YOU* tried to flash the kernel with dd?
If yes, did it work?

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
No I didn't try it

The Following User Says Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom, Huddersfield
I had a quick skim through this thread, but I couldn't see anything related to my issue, I have the stable flavour of CSSU installed:

I can't seem to install any of the dependencies (debs posted in this thread) that backupmenu-multiboot requires, I upgraded multiboot to 0.2.11 fine, but i cant install i2c-tools or mtd-utils, it says "incompatible package"

I have tried installing i2c-tools from the repo itself, but still no joy. Anyone else had this issue?

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
which files should i install as i have nitdroid and multiboot installed. i dont want to lose any of my entry in multiboot. now i have three entries in multiboot. they are kernel49, maemo kernel and nitdroid. which files should i install and do i have to remove old multiboot please help.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by AliasXZ View Post
I had a quick skim through this thread, but I couldn't see anything related to my issue, I have the stable flavour of CSSU installed:

I can't seem to install any of the dependencies (debs posted in this thread) that backupmenu-multiboot requires, I upgraded multiboot to 0.2.11 fine, but i cant install i2c-tools or mtd-utils, it says "incompatible package"

I have tried installing i2c-tools from the repo itself, but still no joy. Anyone else had this issue?
You need to install them via dpkg/apt-get on the command line - App Manager refuses to install these packages as they're not tagged as user packages.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom, Huddersfield
Originally Posted by Rob1n
You need to install them via dpkg/apt-get on the command line - App Manager refuses to install these packages as they're not tagged as user packages.
OK, cheers for that, makes sense.

I always just click on them to see if my phone "approves" of them, but thanks ill install via dpkg

The Following User Says Thank You to AliasXZ For This Useful Post: