Active Topics

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Vlaardingen, Netherlands
hmm, same version as I have (3.8.0-1) but I am on CSSU (21.2011.38-Tmaemo9.1+thumb1 (testing)). Could that have something to do with the problem?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whispering Weasel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yes, mine too.
So I would suspect the locale LC-NUMERIC=en_US is not working on his device.
Did you purge some locales? If so purging en_US (and your country) locale is always a bad idea.
If not try to edit the file /usr/share/orrery/orbitalElements/mercuryElements and exchange the dots with comma (backup!).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Looks like the suspicion is correct .The error message now is:
Wrong number (1) of numbers found on line 1 of /usr/share/orrery//orbitalElements/venusElements

I did not purge anything that I know of. Perhaps the locale setting was changed to Dutch when the device shut down and rebooted due to empty battery ( I usually set it to English, In Dutch locale the , is used instead of . for decimal separation and the locale is set to Dutch now). It has been a long time since it was reflashed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Whispering Weasel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Whispering Weasel View Post
Looks like the suspicion is correct .The error message now is:
Wrong number (1) of numbers found on line 1 of /usr/share/orrery//orbitalElements/venusElements

I did not purge anything that I know of. Perhaps the locale setting was changed to Dutch when the device shut down and rebooted due to empty battery ( I usually set it to English, In Dutch locale the , is used instead of . for decimal separation and the locale is set to Dutch now). It has been a long time since it was reflashed.
Thanks for noticing this, and taking the time to post it. Other users had problems with this years ago, and frankly I had thought I cured this "." vs "," problem a long while ago. This weekend I'll switch my scratchbox environment to Dutch, and try to find a more robust solution. Maybe I should just convert all the files to binary, rather than ASCII.

It's been a LONG time since I pushed out a new version of orrery. I started doing a Solar Eclipse page, and I just never brought it to conclusion. Doing a nice job on Solar Eclipses will be hard.

I'm very pleased that there are still people using my little app!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Of course we are using it still.
My kids love it.
And I am still impressed and learning.

Thanks for that nice piece of SW!

--
And it should work the way you worked around it.
Weasel's version seemed to work also, as he posted. So what did Weasel do to let orrery not recognize the numeric locale?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-07-18 at 22:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Ah, I like this app, handy to see sunrise and sunset times, when seasons start etc.etc. .
I thought maybe something got corrupted on a reboot or shutdown or something since it was working before but I got it running again by setting the device locale to English_US :-) (and changing back the , to . again in the mercuryElements file)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Whispering Weasel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Yes, 5 years later ... I'm using orrery, and it correctly predicted the lunar eclipse tonight.

Did the code for solar eclipse get finished? I can imagine that for many, fremantle/n900 is obsolete. I don't know about you @Ken-Young. If you still have the code for that laying around somewhere, please post it somewhere, even if it's considered 'dirty' yet.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
If you still have the code for that laying around somewhere, please post it somewhere, even if it's considered 'dirty' yet.
Beside the source code in the repository, there is a github place for the code. But I don't know if it is the latest version.

On github the changelog is missing and the NEWS file reporting version 3.2.3. Where as the version from repository is 3.8.0 but has the same news file.

On the wiki it says:

The source code is hosted on this github repository. The version there may not have gone through the Maemo Community QA testing. The most recent version which has been vetted by the community is available in the Maemo Extras catalog.source code is hosted on this github repository. The version there may not have gone through the Maemo Community QA testing. The most recent version which has been vetted by the community is available in the Maemo Extras catalog.
This statement lets assume that this github version could be newer.
However the files are from 28.10.2012 as well the latest commit. So I guess they are the same but I didn't checked.

Source from the repository:

orrery_3.8.0.orig.tar.gz
orrery_3.8.0-1.debian.tar.gz

So maybe Ken has something newer locally.

Last edited by Halftux; 2019-07-17 at 09:53. Reason: Removed typos

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
So maybe Ken has something newer locally.
The github version is the most recent. Sadly, I never got the solar eclipse part done. It was going to be a massive amount of work. I'm very very pleased to hear that there is still some interest in this program, however. I haven't fired up one of my N900s in months, I'm ashamed to say, but if there are orrery bug fixes or new features that people want, I could try to get development going again. I haven't fired up the development environment in *years*.

If I see any good comets coming up, I'll at least make an orrery-compatible ephemeris file.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, orrery