Has Nokia/Ovi completly given up on the N900/Maemo user?

I've just been onto the Ovi store, first time in about a month, and as far as I can tell there isn't a single new app available.

With retrospect, I think having an app download facility on this site has made it way too easy for Nokia to take their foot off the gas and leave it to the Maemo community to develop and support the N900.

In all, we have fewer than 600 apps available for our handsets, while other manufacurers have literally tens of thousands of support features and apps available.

Come on Nokia, sort it out!! You're the ones that benefit financially from a solid support base. Time to work for your money.

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
Has Nokia/Ovi completly given up on the N900/Maemo user?

I've just been onto the Ovi store, first time in about a month, and as far as I can tell there isn't a single new app available.

With retrospect, I think having an app download facility on this site has made it way too easy for Nokia to take their foot off the gas and leave it to the Maemo community to develop and support the N900.

In all, we have fewer than 600 apps available for our handsets, while other manufacurers have literally tens of thousands of support features and apps available.

Come on Nokia, sort it out!! You're the ones that benefit financially from a solid support base. Time to work for your money.
While your points are valid...i wouldn't add much hope to things changing in the near future.

Your gonna have to accept that Nokia has no intention in supporting N900 from an app perspective anymore. They've moved onto their 'Meego' project and developers alike have moved on from Maemo or weren't interested to begin with

The consumer base using the N900 (Maemo OS) isn't big enough for many developers to see a solid ROI, economie's of scale drive everything my friend

If i was you i would do one of these things or more...

1. Accept the N900 with its limited mainstream apps/games
2. Get an Iphone or Android handset
3. Wait for Meego and get your hands burnt by Nokia again

Thanks Nathan

Frustrating stuff, the N900 was marketed as the next best thing by Nokia a little over 12 months ago. I appreciate hardware dates pretty quickly these days, but Nokia have abandoned this phone like no developer or manufacturer has before.

For me, its going to be option 3. The eternal optimist in me says Nokia surely won't get this bored this quickly again.

The idea of becoming an isheep is very unappealing

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
Thanks Nathan

Frustrating stuff, the N900 was marketed as the next best thing by Nokia a little over 12 months ago. I appreciate hardware dates pretty quickly these days, but Nokia have abandoned this phone like no developer or manufacturer has before.

For me, its going to be option 3. The eternal optimist in me says Nokia surely won't get this bored this quickly again.

The idea of becoming an isheep is very unappealing
Haha, option 3 is my choice aswell, however only God knows when Nokia will actually release their Meego Handset. Some people are saying October, but i'm thinking more around the 'end of time'

Option 4- Pray NITdroid becomes the n900s salvation.

Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
I even don't think about OVI!

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Instead of/while waiting for MeeGo, you could try out Easy Debian.

For me at least, this turned out to be the ultimate application on the N900. On my desktop and my laptop, I run Debian, so it was particularly natural and satisfying to have that almost fully on the N900, too. OpenOffice, Gimp, CUPS, VPN, symbolic math, encrypted file systems, LATeX, and several text utilities all work surprisingly well, and I'm afraid won't as well on the N9 once the resistive screen and the stylus is gone. In fact many things work well also without stylus, my favorite applications being zim, a small desktop wiki, and geeqie, an image viewer I like better than the one from Maemo. Because of this, I don't care so much about N900 specific apps any longer.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
I wonder what applications do you think N900 is missing?

I have found awesome application's for everything. Don't you use maemo.org's repositories?

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
go to nokia, and tell them all of that.

this place is not a good idea.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
two points from reading the above posts.
12 months is a long time in the technolgical world and some people think exactly the same thing
is going to happen to n9 meego device as happened to the n900 maemo.