Active Topics

It is the second time that it happened to me so i though maybe it is nice to share it with you

yesterday i went to a vodafone shop here in holland, because i want a new sim card because my N900 seems to disconnect from my sim now and then. Sometimes i just get the pincode screen again, sometimes i have to reboot and a few times i really have to take out the complete sim and put it back in to get my sim working again.. Dont know if anybody has that problem but i thought just get a brand new sim and see if that fixes it.

So i walked into the vodafone shop and i asked can i have a new sim because this happens sometime, i took my N900 out of my pocket and the guy that did help me "Whoooo is that the N900??? Can i hold it? Can i play with it?" (its not in the voda stores yet over here)
This kind of reactions makes my nerd in me proud

before we knew it we where playing for at least 15+ minutes with it i showing him the browser, the applications manager, how to navigate around. He was constantly showing it of to his co workers showing what he had in his hand

Finally when i got my N900 back (yes, with a new sim card, we didnt forget that) his last words where "i know what my next phone will be"

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jcompagner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
shame my reaction wasnt the same. Too small imo - screen seems tiny for a device like that. hm

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Another happy story made possible by the Nokia N900

That was awesome man, think the same will happen to me when I return to the states. Even though a lot of us here had issues getting them due to them being out of stock and what not, many ppl still have yet to see it... Obviously this guy works at a cell phone store so he had a great appreciation for it, which is always nice. Its a bit more popular then most would give it credit for, I bet that last part about him knowing what his next phone would be gave you the warm fuzzies inside lol... my inner nerd got em' just from reading it

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
happened the same with me...

yesterday, main topic was about the phone and how many things it can do...

i even tricked grandpa. some xmas music playing on radio and i put ratm from time to time with the fm transmitter... he didnt believe phones could do that.

it is a really cool toy indeed. other guys from family also work with software and were asking loads of questions about it.

Last edited by HangLoose; 2009-12-25 at 13:12.

I have had this reaction a ton myself.

It's really a shame that those that don't like the device tend be the more vocal of the crowd.

Hopefully Nokia notices sales, and gets the right message!

The N900 is a win despite it's software based problems. (which will be fixed)

2d

Here in Italy the N900 is not known, so when I show it to my friends the typical reaction is "What the hell is that kind of weird device???" or something like that... Even attendants working in mobile phone shops do not know this magical device! What a pity! But I'd enjoy a reaction like the one you described!

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Went into Phones4U in the UK a few days ago to look for a phone for my wife for Christmas (she's big on photos, so was planning to get her a Pixon 12). The guy in the shop asked me what phone I had and when I told him his eyes lit up and he asked if he could play on it. While he let me look at the Pixon, he grilled me about the Maemo OS and I answered as best I could. He absolutely loved the browser on the phone. He told me that a lot of people had been coming in the shop and asking about the N900.

Anyhow, just goes to show there is interest out there for this supposedly niche device..

i have had similar experiences here in the USA, brought mine into the t mobile store to get a fresh sim and try to fit a case for it. had it out for a couple minutes before i got bum rushed by a tmo employee asking me "is that what i think it is"?? . its like i own a unicorn or something. apparently im the only guy on Oahu who has one of these.

The Following User Says Thank You to phreck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by phreck View Post
its like i own a unicorn or something. apparently im the only guy on Oahu who has one of these.
Everyone loves unicorns... and n900s

The Following User Says Thank You to matthewcc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Can't wait to have my n900 out and people asking me what kinda phone is that