Active Topics

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Sydney
Chaps,

I'm a bit perplexed : what is the difference between "Soft PowerOff" and letting the device go into standby? Or "Lock screen and keypad" for that matter?

I understand the difference in how you enter those modes and how you come out of them, but what is the effect on power consumption, particularly if Opera is still running?

My feeling is that "Soft PowerOff" uses less power than just letting the device go into standby, but what have other people found ?

TIA

-- Ian

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by waimate01 View Post
Chaps,

I'm a bit perplexed : what is the difference between "Soft PowerOff" and letting the device go into standby? Or "Lock screen and keypad" for that matter?

I understand the difference in how you enter those modes and how you come out of them, but what is the effect on power consumption, particularly if Opera is still running?

My feeling is that "Soft PowerOff" uses less power than just letting the device go into standby, but what have other people found ?

TIA

-- Ian
Since Nokia's latest "update" of the N800 firmware, softpoweroff no longer automatically locks keys and screens. This "improvement" has made the softpoweroff setting next to useless.

I do get the distinct impression that softpoweroff (which I used before Nokia s-c-r-e-w-e-d it up) tended to consume less battery juice than the "lock screen and keys" option, which I'm forced to use now (and which I think is identical to letting the device go into standby on itself).

Still, it could very well be that my blind hatred towards the Nokia software "engineers" has clouded my powers of guesstimation.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Since Nokia's latest "update" of the N800 firmware, softpoweroff no longer automatically locks keys and screens. This "improvement" has made the softpoweroff setting next to useless.

I do get the distinct impression that softpoweroff (which I used before Nokia s-c-r-e-w-e-d it up) tended to consume less battery juice than the "lock screen and keys" option, which I'm forced to use now (and which I think is identical to letting the device go into standby on itself).

Still, it could very well be that my blind hatred towards the Nokia software "engineers" has clouded my powers of guesstimation.
Did I miss a firmware update? I'm running 10-7, and softpoweroff does the same thing for me now that it did before 10-7, which is turn off the screen and lock the screen/keys.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Did I miss a firmware update? I'm running 10-7, and softpoweroff does the same thing for me now that it did before 10-7, which is turn off the screen and lock the screen/keys.
Yes, me too, still works as expected.

As for power saving I guess it is almost identical to locked keys except that both touchscreen and key controllers can be turned off completely (power key itself is wired to different chip due to obvious reason - it needs to turn device on from the real off state) so maybe just maybe there are more power savings. With just keys locked, keys still need to work and even touchscreen is not turned off completely as it was seen in previous firmware.

Otherwise it is almost same. Radio chips are still working, programs run.

I'm using it because it is simpler to lock and unlock the device as I have soft poweroff set to longer power key press.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
I have linked softpoweroff to longkeypress on the power switch. With the original N800 firmware, this would also lock screen and keys, even if I hadn't selected that option in Control Panel. A longkeypress would bring the N800 immediately back to operation, with screen and keys enabled.

After upgrading to the new firmware, longkeypress would no longer lock screen and keys, unless I checked that option in Control Panel. If I now longpress to turn the N800 back on, I still have to go through the shortpress power switch and shortpress Enter key to reactivate screen and keys. This kinda makes the whole idea of a quick on-and-off routine moot.

So maybe it works as expected to some, it sure doesn't to me.

I have linked softpoweroff to longkeypress on the power switch. With the original N800 firmware, this would also lock screen and keys, even if I hadn't selected that option in Control Panel. A longkeypress would bring the N800 immediately back to operation, with screen and keys enabled.
Yes, this is exactly how it works for me even with latest firmware now. One long press = locked/off, another press = unlocked/on.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Yes, this is exactly how it works for me even with latest firmware now. One long press = locked/off, another press = unlocked/on.
What did you do??!!??!!

What did you do??!!??!!
Not sure, nothing special, modified /etc/mce.ini like in previous firmware. Don't have device now. I have more unrelated modifications there too, will post full file when I get the device. Apart from softpoweroff action set to medium power key press I have also reduced home and power key timeouts and switched Home key long and short press actions to be like in IT2006 (short press goes to desktops screen).

After upgrading to the new firmware, longkeypress would no longer lock screen and keys, unless I checked that option in Control Panel. If I now longpress to turn the N800 back on, I still have to go through the shortpress power switch and shortpress Enter key to reactivate screen and keys. This kinda makes the whole idea of a quick on-and-off routine moot.

So maybe it works as expected to some, it sure doesn't to me.
I'm not sure if it matters, but I have longkeypress mapped to "menu" and shortkeypress mapped to "softpoweroff", so I only have to tap the power button to go into softpoweroff mode. To get out of softpoweroff mode, though, I have to hold the power button down (but I don't hav to do the short-plus-enter-key combo).

Okay, I have no idea what just happened, but for fun's sake I decided to open up mce.ini (with mc), just to have a looksie at it. I didn't change anything, didn't even save the file (couldn't have anyway, as I hadn't rooted myself). I then opened Control Panel and, in a hunch, unchecked the "lock screen and keys" option and played with the different values for dimming and shutting off the screen a bit, finally resetting them back to the values of two minutes each, where they've been since I got NaB00.

Then I tried the longkeypress on the power switch again and my N800 went into standby mode with the screen and keys locked, just as it did many moons ago! (sorry about the colour, but it conveys perfectly how freaked out I am)

This is now officially scary! Does NaB00 read my posts? Does it reconfigure itself, just to make me look stupid? Am I paranoid enough yet?