Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
unfortunatley I have to report AIS switcher blows. The idea is genius, I love it.

The problem is prior to installation I have around 450-600 hardware wakeups/second. After installation I see around 1400 hardware wakeups/second. I can consistantly do this.

This butt****s my batterylife.

Does this program poll the hardware or somthing?
async d-bus, no polling by itself.

edit: forgot about checking WiFi signal strength, so every 5 seconds it makes d-bus call, when connected.

edit2: for me powertop shows 3.2-5.5/s

Last edited by 412b; 2011-06-02 at 05:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to 412b For This Useful Post:
As the current roadmap is almost done: default interface state (when applet starts up, what interfaces should be on and what should off) and portrait is left, feel free to post feature requests for 0.3.9 version (version 0.3.8 would be just a stable release with bugfixes if needed).

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Russia, Moscow
Feature request for 0.3.9:

create a configuration option with a checkbox to load patched wifi drivers and an input field for the path to them

I still can't manage to load them on boot automatically, so I keep modified versions of /usr/bin/advifsw_wlan*

The Following User Says Thank You to Bad_Habit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bad_Habit View Post
Feature request for 0.3.9:

create a configuration option with a checkbox to load patched wifi drivers and an input field for the path to them

I still can't manage to load them on boot automatically, so I keep modified versions of /usr/bin/advifsw_wlan*
what's the module name for bleeding edge drivers? )

Originally Posted by 412b View Post
what's the module name for bleeding edge drivers? )
No, It's not that easy. The original thread is here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67554

These drivers work on kernel-power only and conflict with the stock drivers. Module names partially match, so people just keep them in separate directory and load them with insmod.

No, It's not that easy. The original thread is here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67554

These drivers work on kernel-power only and conflict with the stock drivers. Module names partially match, so people just keep them in separate directory and load them with insmod.
I've already read that thread. It's not that hard in fact
Using kp, conflicts with wl12xx is not AIS deal.

Originally Posted by 412b View Post
I've already read that thread. It's not that hard in fact
Using kp, conflicts with wl12xx is not AIS deal.
I thought you'd accept this feature request just like you've merged 3g/2g mode selection applet functionality into AIS

Such a status applet has been announced today: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73682

I'm sure It won't work with AIS, haven't even tried.

I just want bleeding edge drivers to load transparently and wlan to be controlled from a status applet - that's the point.

I thought you'd accept this feature request just like you've merged 3g/2g mode selection applet functionality into AIS
It is accepted
And yes there will be such a switcher for switching between Stock/Bleeding Edge

Such a status applet has been announced today: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73682

I'm sure It won't work with AIS, haven't even tried.
But AIS probably will work with that applet I mean at the moment message "WLAN: On/Off" when load/unload stock driver should be shown, but I didn't test it.

I just want bleeding edge drivers to load transparently and wlan to be controlled from a status applet - that's the point.
Yep, control on a tip of fingers

I really don't think it would be hard to implement, just need a dive into it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 412b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
My suggestion on the driver thing is to wait a little bit, and see if anyone (*Cough*I've been meaning to tinker around to that effect*cough*) figures out how to get the kernel to use the 'bleeding edge' wifi drivers by default.

Because if that happens, that will likely become popular semi quickly and AIS will probably benefit from being able to detect if the N900 its on is configured to load wl12xx by default, or both wl1251-spi and wl1251.

*Shrug* Just a thought. On the other hand, given the slowness I have in getting around to doing anything, it's likely that these status-menu applets are going to become the norm and people will be happy with just that.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
My suggestion on the driver thing is to wait a little bit, and see if anyone (*Cough*I've been meaning to tinker around to that effect*cough*) figures out how to get the kernel to use the 'bleeding edge' wifi drivers by default.
Currently it's not critical, AIS can figure out by itself if driver is loaded and what driver is loaded. I'm planning to take a look at deb packages for driver and load/unload scripts. Moreover, I'm thinking of supporting only deb installs.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Because if that happens, that will likely become popular semi quickly and AIS will probably benefit from being able to detect if the N900 its on is configured to load wl12xx by default, or both wl1251-spi and wl1251.

*Shrug* Just a thought. On the other hand, given the slowness I have in getting around to doing anything, it's likely that these status-menu applets are going to become the norm and people will be happy with just that.
We'll see... It's OSS so it's users' choice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 412b For This Useful Post: