Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
oh my the feeling of the White N9 is such a gift!

I bought Used Nokia N9 white.

The Following User Says Thank You to lolloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
So whats the consensus on protecting this baby? I dont believe in cases as they add too much bulk and hide the beauty, but I've barely used the N9 so far in case I scratch it (my 4 month old black Lumia 800 is hammered up just from normal use).
Already the silver part at the back is scratched just from placing it on the table. Someone mentioned using varnish so I have to try and find the guide for that.
Not heard much good about the ZAGG shield, it has an orange peel affect and swipes can become unresponsive, also its expensive.
Any one tried this IPG shield? Im not sure it covers the top and bottom.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IPG-Nokia-...item19cc112102
Another option is the skinomi shield but I cant tell if that is better or worse than ZAGG.
GadgetShieldz seem to have a full body cover for a good price:
http://www.gadgetshieldz.com/nokia-n...s-shields.html If I cant find anything better I might buy this, or just keep the N9 naked and replace the housing 6 months down the line...
Any other options?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bret hart For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bret hart View Post
http://www.gadgetshieldz.com/nokia-n...s-shields.html If I cant find anything better I might buy this, or just keep the N9 naked and replace the housing 6 months down the line...
Any other options?
7.99 with free shipping is a great price, at that I'm going to take the chance, if it isn't great I won't feel bad removing it again. Thanks for the find.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Already the silver part at the back is scratched just from placing it on the table. Someone mentioned using varnish so I have to try and find the guide for that.
I suggested using clear varnish, and here are the 'comparable' results - mind you, the black one has been in use for 3+ months while the unicorn edition has been with me for just a month and I probably was a bit more careful with it than my girlfriend with the black one tho I didn't hesitate to put it on a table or whatnot.

Also, images taken free-hand under poor lighting with the N900's camera so don't expect great amount of details, but the difference is pretty much obvious: https://picasaweb.google.com/sxdesig...eat=directlink

What is not shown on the images is that the white one has a small scratch as well (visible only under intense light at extreme angles) that will have a tendency to flake in the future - it's not a scratch on the metal plate itself but on the clear varnish coat on top - once those scratches become more prominent the fix will be easy - just remove the clear coat and re-apply it again. When it comes to the visual appearance, the reflectivity is pretty much the same, although the 'varnished' one appears a tad bit darker and milkier (barely noticeable, tho - you need another pristine N9 side-by-side to see the difference).

As for how to do it - you don't need any special guide, the process is dead simple:
  1. Clean the plate thoroughly with soapy water and a cloth that leaves no fibers
  2. Dry it really well (I used a hair dryer)
  3. Mask everything else with tape
  4. Mask the lens really well (I used several layers of tape and a small cotton ball at the bottom)
  5. Spray evenly with uniform side-to-side motion about 2/10 mm of clear varnish on top of it (depends on the spray nozzle and how fast you move it should be about 2-3 passes)
  6. Wait about 5 minutes and spray another coating layer to even it out
  7. Wait at least an hour for it to settle down and cure (this, of course, depends on the varnish you used)
  8. If it somehow got to the places you didn't want (look at an extreme angle with powerful lighting will show it), remove the varnish carefully with some acetone or other mild thinners that can act as a solvent for the varnish you used

That's pretty much it. I used a clear varnish that I use to fix my rims after I curb them, but any varnish that doesn't affect the color and doesn't affect the reflectivity all that much should do. Don't use wood-only varnishes, tho, as they might not stick to the plate (it's extremely polished so even metal/plastic varnishes hardly stick to it). Also, the coating can make it appear even worse if it's already scratched - you might want to polish it with some mild abrasive polish paste first.

And, of course, do this at your own risk, it worked for me but I cannot guarantee it will work for everyone.

Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Finally got my white n9! I keep looking at and thinking "damn youre beautiful!"

The Following User Says Thank You to mohannad For This Useful Post:
http://www.gadgetshieldz.com/nokia-n...s-shields.html
Managed to find this on the gadgetsheildz full body protection for the N9, some nice clear pics...

http://meegocrusader.blogspot.co.uk/...dz-for-n9.html

So clearly the front screen protector is not quite edge to edge which has put me off, that would be a true feast for my OCDs!

Looks good for the price though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tetlee For This Useful Post:
yay!! i got me mine it's so pwetty...but I can't seem to add ANY account to it...wtf

Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
yay!! i got me mine it's so pwetty...but I can't seem to add ANY account to it...wtf
What type of account, email or Nokia store? If the latter you could have problems, my previous black 64gb N9 had to be returned as couldn't log in or create a new Nokia account. No amount of reflashing or updating helped.

I feel like selling this phone, i have problems with pretty much everything. I got my accounts to add but it was a hassle. This phone is buggy beyond relief. I probably will let someone take it off my hands for around 450 US. Mint condition

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
I feel like selling this phone, i have problems with pretty much everything. I got my accounts to add but it was a hassle. This phone is buggy beyond relief. I probably will let someone take it off my hands for around 450 US. Mint condition
If you want to sell you device, can I see some photos ?

Is there a way you can send it to France ?

A++

Tags
dinosaur bones, much ado, unicorn