Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Dear lazyweb, have they ever explained why they start "selling" it before there's a chance to download it? I mean... why would anybody pay on Sept. 27th if I can as well pay on Oct 11th?
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
From Jolla's perspective, <snip>
Precisely! Whenever you have a doubt about something, try to see it from the other side's perspective.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Many will be paying out of tablet refunds, others will be eager out of excitement or just to avoid issues on the 11th.

From Jolla's perspective, aside from getting money in early, they can deal with any issues on the payment side asap.
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Precisely! Whenever you have a doubt about something, try to see it from the other side's perspective.
Yes, sure, it might make sense for Jolla (although not much, I guess) if it really works.

But I really wonder if anybody will pay in advance after the tabletgate and in a situation where paying in advance doesn't give you any advantage (that I know of).

Very strange. I'm not getting it. I'll use my credit card on Oct. 11th after I've read the first user stories.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Yeah, they could do an `early bird` special price.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
seems like we won't be buying it tomorrow

Sailfish X: new flashing tool and new sales start day
Thanks again for your interest in Sailfish X and for subscribing to our mailing list!

There has been some very recent technical changes to the installation process of Sailfish X to Sony Xperia X. Sony has presented a new way of flashing software on their devices, which will bring us (and you) new opportunities for the installation, e.g. Windows flashing. Process-wise we need to take some time to test everything properly.

Because of the recent developments and testing needs, we have decided to change the Sailfish X sales start date by one week from September 27 to October 4. The postponing of the sales start does not change the target software release date, which remains at October 11.

We will provide you with more details closer to the sales start!

Kind Regards,
Jolla Team

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to olympus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
Windows flashing
How embarassing. Using Windows to flash Linux. So people struggle to get a phone with Linux that hardly works, but can't bother to use Linux on the desktop, that is free, works any day to install on a PC, can be used for anything (no problem with bluetooth or double-tapping or anything). Give me a break. Why do people need the phone so bad when they ALSO could have all those wonders on the desktop.

Ok, I'm not evil. Let the poor bastards have it....

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by jukk View Post
How embarassing. Using Windows to flash Linux. So people struggle to get a phone with Linux that hardly works, but can't bother to use Linux on the desktop, that is free, works any day to install on a PC, can be used for anything (no problem with bluetooth or double-tapping or anything). Give me a break. Why do people need the phone so bad when they ALSO could have all those wonders on the desktop.

Ok, I'm not evil. Let the poor bastards have it....

Right there with you. If you can't be arsed to try, then you shouldn't expect a reliable alternative platform.

This day and age, there is literally no excuse for not having a Linux box if you're even the least bit interested in the prospect of something like Sailfish OS. Just makes good sense.

Edit: not to mention, it's actually easier to unlock the bootloader and prep the device in even a basic Linux distribution like Ubuntu. I tried the procedure in Windows 10, and it was a nightmare. Went through 6 different driver revisions before fastboot detected my F5121. Went to my primary workstation (Arch Linux) and it worked immediately, without nonsense.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
But I really wonder if anybody will pay in advance after the tabletgate and in a situation where paying in advance doesn't give you any advantage (that I know of).
May i remind, there is a 20% discount so maybe they will sort those in the first week until delivery?

For all of you former Community Device Program members we offer a 20% discount,i.e. the price for you is 39.90€ (including VAT). We’ll let you know how you can claim this discount closer to the sales start.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Having windows support is great!!! The more inclusive this process is the better it will be for more people For example I love Linux but sadly at home my laptop (work owned) as PC is windows based due to work And having this option is quite good with people in similar position to me.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Having windows support is great!!! The more inclusive this process is the better it will be for more people For example I love Linux but sadly at home my laptop (work owned) as PC is windows based due to work And having this option is quite good with people in similar position to me.
Windows costs ~$100, Linux is free. Not costing a huge amount of money seems more inclusive to me, especially since the linked Sony tool *only* runs on Windows.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to purrcatian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
So, there is a fresh post at blog.jolla.com: https://blog.jolla.com/sailfish-x-new-sales-start-day/
1. However - following the link "new way of flashing": https://developer.sonymobile.com/ope...es/flash-tool/ ,
we can learn that the flash tool Emma is usable only in Windows and according to the linked there website, Xperia X is not supported by Emma at all...
2. The blog post also states that: "Please subscribe to the Sailfish X email list if you wish to receive updates directly." I have been subscribed to the Sailfish X email list since the start of the project "Sailfish X" but have not recieved any updates directly...
3. If it does not postpone the release of the software, then what is the idea of delaying the sales???

So, either Jolla is again failing in communication or it just smells a fish...

And no, I'm not going to buy a Windows computer to get a Linux based frontend to a Android phone...

Last edited by acrux; 2017-09-26 at 18:24.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x