Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Hey Dan welcome to the future!
Thanks, man! It's all, like... glittery and prismatic and virtual and filled with flashing LED's! I kinda dig these flying cars and hoverboards! Pretty rad!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
WELP

I got a hell of a deal on a Nexus 5X last year and had been using it.

It was running 7.1.2, and its better than my previous Android experiences. But I still miss the Swipe UI on the N9, not to mention the 64GB

BUT, after just around 1 year of use, the 5X has died...

I think I got that bootloop problem.

So I am rocking the N9 again.
Doesnt seem like much is working in the way of apps. Only real thing I miss from the 5X is Dream League soccer, Google Hangouts, Drive/Sheets and Google Dialer.

We will see if they warranty it or try to charge me for something that has been plaguing many

The Following User Says Thank You to captainofiron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Previously i asked this in the wrong thread....
Is a rooted andr@id without gapps is better than sailfish?

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
Previously i asked this in the wrong thread....
Is a rooted andr@id without gapps is better than sailfish?
It's about the same in my estimation. You'll have to install via a third party App Store - Amazon isn't half bad, there's plenty of others or side load everything. The stock browser isn't all bad - better options do exist.

The built in terminal and ability to install command line utilities like Nano is a plus for Sailfish.

What do you want to do? That helps anybody in answering you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It's about the same in my estimation. You'll have to install via a third party App Store - Amazon isn't half bad, there's plenty of others or side load everything. The stock browser isn't all bad - better options do exist.

The built in terminal and ability to install command line utilities like Nano is a plus for Sailfish.

Yes, it's a bit like asking "is green better than yellow?". If you're only looking for android app compatibility, android is obviously the system they are designed for.

Edit: Whoops, submitted the post too early somehow. So:
Having installed Lineage on an old tablet today, I must say it's quite good, I just feel more comfortable around a more "linuxy" system. You can actually activate a local terminal in the developer options, but for me it's missing the nice bits like package manager and most gnu tools.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

since android (without gapps) is completely open source and sailfish is not and since sailfish is based on android drivers i think logically makes android better than sailfish. its just what i think which may be untrue. i dont know how secure sailfish is interms of spying and safety, i have used sailfish for months but i am still strange to the command line utilities, weird ui design principles, look there is black everywhere.
i am just trying to compare these two because i am finding android to be usable now (using extended aosp 7.1.1, redmi 2 prime) and my experience with android is pretty much ok but it was worse back in the day.

Originally Posted by velox View Post
Yes, it's a bit like asking "is green better than yellow?". If you're only looking for android app compatibility, android is obviously the system they are designed for.
i think i got my answer man thanks.

And getting a pure gnu open source linux os on handheld (smartphone) is impossible, buying an android tablet with intel processor and flashing pure gnu linux on it is not (my next move).

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
since android (without gapps) is completely open source and sailfish is not and since sailfish is based on android drivers i think logically makes android better than sailfish.
Just as @velox said it is like comparing green vs yellow; the systems are just different.

The fact that "sailfish is based on android drivers" does not mean anything in this context; it is just a layer of software. There is no overhead really since libhybris is just stateful translation layer.

You cannot somehow judge it worse or better than android unless you specify what is the quality you are comparing, it is like saying that a fireplace is better than a bicycle. With a fireplace you can warm your room but with a bicycle you can ride to town. totally different things, you cannot use the other for a thing natural to the other.

i dont know how secure sailfish is interms of spying and safety, i have used sailfish for months but i am still strange to the command line utilities, weird ui design principles, look there is black everywhere.
There is no "universally secure" system, all safety and security is down to the user really. Devices have different approaches and different goals to what is considered safe, but then again you need to assess your own needs and only after you can describe what is "secure" to you you can reliably compare different software environments regarding those requirements.

i am just trying to compare these two because i am finding android to be usable now (using extended aosp 7.1.1, redmi 2 prime) and my experience with android is pretty much ok but it was worse back in the day.
If you find android enough for you, then it is so for you; these matters are so subjective.

And getting a pure gnu open source linux os on handheld (smartphone) is impossible, buying an android tablet with intel processor and flashing pure gnu linux on it is not (my next move).
This is what basically nullifies the thing in android-vs-sailfish argument that you first mention above; You say that "...since android (without gapps) is completely open source..." and obviously it is not since there are always the same binary drivers down in the guts oof the system
A mer-based open implementation like nemomobile is just as open as "android without gapps" and SFOS is just some UI-icing on top of that.
(granted, some of the UI-icing bits are closed but I am not that concerned about it, if you are you can replace those with similar open bits for all I care...)

Last edited by juiceme; 2017-04-22 at 23:11.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
since android (without gapps) is completely open source...
It's not the gapps that makes it more/less open source. AOSP has always been open source. But if you want source access to all of your applications, then it's either AOSP or Mer. Sailfish is not open source by any stretch of the imagination. But Nemo is...

i dont know how secure sailfish is interms of spying and safety
I actually think this is a good question that I cannot answer. To be extremely honest, I just assume that any point of entry to the Internet is susceptible to being snooped. How much it reports on you on the actual device is a true concern. Google wants to know about you. So does Apple. So does Microsoft.

If you want truly secure, I'd suggest no device is the only true answer.

Thanks for clarifying your position though. Security on a device you "own" now is a rare thing. And we've, as customers, allowed that to happen.

Good luck on your search.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy