Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'd be more reassured if the money that didn't go into marketing goes into quality products and process.
There do exist some amazing things
that lack any credible marketing effort
Not sure why that happens,
but occasionally there are some really nice products to be found
if the time spent browsing the tech fairs is diligent.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I'd be more reassured if the money that didn't go into marketing goes into quality products and process.
In the absence of the proof to the contrary, I keep an open mind.
Moreover, in case of GPD, there is already a previous quality product in existence proving that they can deliver..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
In the absence of the proof to the contrary, I keep an open mind.
Moreover, in case of GPD, there is already a previous quality product in existence proving that they can deliver..
Wait, you took my comment in the absolutely wrong direction. Allow me to clarify and then let's see if you say the same thing - which, you very well may!

With that said, it's not about GPD in regards to their overall fit and finish. It's when people say that a company is a "techy" company and do not invest into proper marketing; I rarely see how that pays off in the long-term in regards to their fit, finish and quality. It doesn't mean that there aren't companies out there that do not produce quality equipment without the majority of their budget being used for marketing; I just find it more fitting whenever a company actually invests into the device more than the marketing.

And unfortunately, "techy" companies tend to not to do so well in that one regard. Counter examples do exist; but my experience with GPD has been minimal yet not entirely favorable.

My reassurance would come from a company that actually ensures that we receive a well designed, thought out product that's not too dependent on the stock and supply of an OEM/ODM that just wants to get a product out of the door as soon and as fast as possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
They've made a video of the current prototype they call "T1".
As far as I can tell, there's no 3D printed placeholders anymore and it looks nice enough. The demonstrated 4k video does look a bit (only a bit) stuttery, but good enough for my taste. Also, they demonstrate opening a 50MB photoshop file, which is the website we had a bit of fun about. Still no linux demonstration included.

I can't wait tasting that chocolate keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49o4yco9cyY

I must say, from a communication standpoint, it's one of the best crowdfunding projects I've seen (even if it's really mostly a pre-ordering kind of deal). Almost every backer comment is answered, and while there's an obvious language barrier, they really seem to try their best at answering.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by velox View Post
I must say, from a communication standpoint, it's one of the best crowdfunding projects I've seen (even if it's really mostly a pre-ordering kind of deal). Almost every backer comment is answered, and while there's an obvious language barrier, they really seem to try their best at answering.
That was the same for the GPD Win, but the shipping was horrible gone wrong people who ordered from other webshops, got their GPD's earlier, then any backer out there...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
That was the same for the GPD Win, but the shipping was horrible gone wrong people who ordered from other webshops, got their GPD's earlier, then any backer out there...
So... like Jolla the First One, isn't it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjFiJb6TERw
It lives!
Watching him slide that into his jeans pocket was worth the view.

Try that with your 8inch tablets, haha!

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You know... I actually am excited to see this thing come together nicely. I was quite skeptical, but it looks like a solid piece of kit.

Although... I wouldn't buy the Win10 version. This looks like a serious contender for a "pocket" Linux device first.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Although... I wouldn't buy the Win10 version. This looks like a serious contender for a "pocket" Linux device first.
I sincerely hope they haven't bit more than they can chew with that one – answering requests for videos showing the ubuntu version before the campain ends (which it has) went from "we hope to be able to" to "soon™" and "well, we'll at least ship them at the same time as the others".
Some people in the comments seem to have discovered upstream support for the intel graphics, at least. But there was no answer exactly which components need new drivers, to begin with.
That said, I'd be okay with manually rotating the screen (xrandr) as people on the GPD Win have done and the accelerometer wouldn't be essential for me, as well. I'd guess most other components will be quite standard and supported anyways.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post: