Active Topics

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
I lifted this from the thread about step 4 because it has only very loose relevance to that subject.

Anyways, there's been some people (myself included), who are a bit perplexed with how little space was given to the n900. Now I thought that rather than simply sitting around and complaining, it would be nice to actually do something.

FACT: The N900 has already created quite a buzz, but could probably do well with an extra push (what device couldn't)
FACT: Nokia do have A LOT of phones to focus on so I at least can forgive hem for not making all their marketing about this one in perticular.

So my proposal is that we create an "open-marketing" campaign where everyone can contribute ideas, strategies etc. and we could thus create an executable campaign from the community for the launch of the device.

In order for this to be executable however we need to keep in mind that it should probably not be too time-consuming, and not require any money on the part of the people involved. It should of course also be legal, both regarding the individual countries and Maemo/Nokia wise.

So far my suggestion of shouting "Maemo on Nokia" from a window has been replaced with the, probably, much more effective idea of people involved changing the status on their social network to include the link http://bit.ly/4uqsTe (maemo.nokia.com/n900), submited by joshua.maverick.

More input please!?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freppas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
well, certainly...everyone can post to other boards they are registered at...with links, signatures, avatars, news..regarding the N900... like for a month..that could help for sure...and also spread the word among friends too...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Personal advertising like that only works if the person isn't a fanboy. Tunnelvision fanboys that insists their singular worldview applies to everyone else will only be a turn off to whatever it is you're pushing for.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
I dont think it matters if its from a fanboy or tech fan or nokia themselves. The point is getting the word out and enabling the public to decide for themselves after visiting the website. Simply putting a link to maemo.nokia.com won't make you fanboy.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
fanboys are a pain... look at the macheads with their iphones and macbooks.

but i think i have converted at least my wife... i talked so much, saw so many videos that she said that she wants to buy one already :P she didnt even see the device yet.

but dunno how good will it be for her cos she isnt a geek and she wont have the same usage as geek... i am trying to tell her not to buy it full price (like me) and wait for some operator (if ever) will give it with a plan.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
I think everyone has raised some very valid points.

Although posting links and talking to friends for a month would definitely get the message out there, people tend to get annoyed if they're badgered about something repeatedly.

Also the comparison to mac fanboys is interesting, despite (or perhaps because of) their presistence mac is now considered the cool thing to own.

I think it might be more effectful to have a shorter campaign and try to get more people involved (3 guys posting for 30 days vs. 30 guys posting for 3).

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Interesting thread, thanks! Can someone move it to the Community forum?

After Nokia World the next big stop is the Maemo Summit. What about a campaign assuming that you have at least 300 Maemo lovers in one place and many more elsewhere?

How to expand the good Maemo vibes beyond Amsterdam during those days (and in Amsterdam city as well?)

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post

How to expand the good Maemo vibes beyond Amsterdam during those days (and in Amsterdam city as well?)
That'a easy. Just convince a local seed merchant to name a strain after Maemo...

...lets see we have:

1. WHITE WIDOW
2. BIG BUD
3. NORTHERN LIGHTS
4. CRYSTAL
5. ICE
6. WHITE RHINO
7. PURPLE POWER
8. MAEMO
9. BUBBLEGUM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Personal advertising like that only works if the person isn't a fanboy. Tunnelvision fanboys that insists their singular worldview applies to everyone else will only be a turn off to whatever it is you're pushing for.
That's why nobody listens to me anymore. "Oh here he goes again with his Maemo stuff ... blah blah blah whatever, dude"

But there are lots of good reviews, videos, and pictures out there already. Tweet them, post them in Facebook, make comments on mobile forums, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I've done two or three pictures in what I intend to be a photo essay/grassroots marketing thing. As soon as I get my hands on an N900, I redo them and push out a lot more.