Active Topics

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It might be better to change the intended audience options to match the tracks (users/app developers/platform developers).
Especially since all the Maemo users who will be at the Summit are likely to be "power users" already.

Dave.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Ok, as someone usually say in this forums "less talk more action" .

Here is a draft of a possible 'Call for content template': http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2...ntent_template
Modifications/corrections are welcome .
I updated the page to create an initial call for content - it's a little rough right now, but it might already be almost good enough. I put in dates, because dates are needed, but these shouldn't at all be considered final.

Call for content

The Maemo community invites you to participate in the second Maemo Summit in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, from October 9th to October 11th 2009. The core themes of the conference will be Fremantle and Harmattan, the forthcoming release of the Maemo platform and the planned future release.

The Maemo community invites talks, lightning presentations and BOFs in three main tracks:

* Users: Presentations for people who want to get the most out of their Maemo-based hardware, or contribute to the Maemo community
* Application developers: Developers who want to take the platform as it is, and use it to make useful stuff
* Platform developers: Hardcore hackers working on the Maemo platform, or one of its components.

We are asking for two types of submissions:

* 30 minute long presentations, BOFs or workgroup sessions
* 5 minute long lightning talks

We invite people to submit a short description of the session they would like to give, including the talk title, intended audience, a short description, and the name, a short biographical note (1 or 2 sentences) and contact details of the presenters, in the Maemo wiki. Instructions for submitting proposals can be found at htt://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2009/Proposals

We also welcome proposals for 5 minute lightning talks which will be held during the conference on each day. Proposals for lightning talks will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis, in the limits of available space.

The deadline for submissions is Friday July 3rd, 2009.

Successful candidates will be selected and notified by the organizing committee by July 24th, 2009.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Thanks Dneary seems really good however ...

Originally Posted by dneary View Post
We also welcome proposals for 5 minute lightning talks which will be held during the conference on each day. Proposals for lightning talks will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis, in the limits of available space.
Is this a good idea, no selection, no exceptions ?

Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Is this a good idea, no selection, no exceptions ?
This is the idea of lightning talks - all inclusive, first come first served (although we can of course organise so that similar talks aren't one after the other, say). Bad speakers or uninteresting topics don't last long, so you know something else will be coming after.

If we do 2 hours of lightning talks, that makes 25 speakers - if we over-flow then we can of course filter, if needs be. But I guess we're not going to overflow.

Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
This is the idea of lightning talks - all inclusive, first come first served (although we can of course organise so that similar talks aren't one after the other, say). Bad speakers or uninteresting topics don't last long, so you know something else will be coming after..
Seems a good idea. I'm just afraid of the acceptance of some uninteresting topics that will let some good topics out.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Rewrote it a little and added comments. Would be a pain to inline [ quote ] everything again so I didn't. I've used italics to show where I've amended bits.

The Maemo community invites you to participate in the second Maemo Summit in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, from October 9th to October 11th 2009. The core themes of the conference will be Fremantle and Harmattan; the forthcoming and future releases of the Maemo platform.

The Maemo community invites talks, lightning presentations and BOFs in three main tracks:

* Users: Presentations for people who want to get the most out of their Maemo-based hardware, or who are interested in contributing to the Maemo community.
* Application developers: Developers who want to take the platform as it is, and use it to make useful stuff. (Not sure about this one. Seems a little fragmented. Can't think of something better at the moment, leave it with me).
* Platform developers: Hardcore hackers working on the Maemo platform or one of its components.

We are asking for two types of submissions:

* 30 minute long presentations, BOFs or workgroup sessions.
* 5 minute long lightning talks.

We invite people to submit a short description of the session they would like to give, including the talk title, intended audience, a short description, a short biographical note (1 or 2 sentences) and contact details of the presenter(s). This information should be added to the Maemo wiki at (give url). Instructions for submitting proposals can be found at htt://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2009/Proposals

We also welcome proposals for 5 minute lightning talks which will be held each day during the conference. Proposals for lightning talks will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis, in the limits of available space. (is this really the case? shouldn't it also be judged on content too?)

The deadline for submissions is Friday July 3rd, 2009.

Successful candidates will be selected and notified by the organizing committee by July 24th, 2009.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
  • Users: Presentations for people who want to get the most out of their Maemo-based hardware, or who are interested in contributing to the Maemo community.
  • Application developers: Developers who want to take the platform as it is, and use it to make useful stuff. (Not sure about this one. Seems a little fragmented. Can't think of something better at the moment, leave it with me).
  • Platform developers: Hardcore hackers working on the Maemo platform or one of its components.
I'd prefer that the descriptions of the three tracks were more parallel. As it is, "Users" describes the presentations within that track, while "Application developers" and "Platform developers" describe their audiences. Also, shifting the descriptions to imperative sentences will add energy.

A rough idea:
  • Engaged users: get the most out of Maemo and Mer devices & get involved in our growing maemo.org community
  • Application developers: start your first Maemo application or improve your development skills to take your applications further
  • Platform developers: dig in to enhance and extend the Maemo platform and the fantastic technologies upon which it builds

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I'd prefer that the descriptions of the three tracks were more parallel. As it is, "Users" describes the presentations within that track, while "Application developers" and "Platform developers" describe their audiences. Also, shifting the descriptions to imperative sentences will add energy.

A rough idea:
  • Engaged users: get the most out of Maemo and Mer devices & get involved in our growing maemo.org community
  • Application developers: start your first Maemo application or improve your development skills to take your applications further
  • Platform developers: dig in to enhance and extend the Maemo platform and the fantastic technologies upon which it builds
I think USERS also shows the intended audience too. Maybe it could be worded better but for me it should be something along the lines of:

USERS: target new users and non-technical people.
APP DEVELOPERS: convince upstream to port to Maemo and show how easy it is for technical people to package for Maemo.
PLATFORM DEVELOPERS: convince developers that they should be developing new software for Maemo (and try to pull people for iPhone, Blackberry, Android and other platforms although without the financial incentive that could be hard.).

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
I think USERS also shows the intended audience too.
I didn't mean the term "Users" was a problem. I simply meant that the descriptions of the three tracks weren't parallel.

Your description for "Users" begins with, "Presentations for", while "Applications developers" and "Platform developers" begin with "Developers who" and "Hardcore hackers" respectively. The first is a description of the presentations found within that track, and the second and third describe the people who should attend sessions within the tracks. It's a slight shift, but it feels a bit sloppy and sets "Users" apart in an odd way.

That's all.

Hi Jamie,

Can I assume that you didn't just edit the copy I made here, and that you edited the wiki page too? It'd be a bit of a pain to maintain 2 sources.

Dave.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:

Tags
summit