Active Topics

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It's nobody's interest to have sessions in the limbo, and if a session looks really weak/off-topic we can discard it asap.

The hard deadline on July 3rd also looks unrealistic, specially compared to the casual setting we had last year. I understand some of you want something with more structure but closing the call for papers 4,5 months before the event sounds almost like an academic convention or a business fair.
I agree with you, I personally tend to adopt the academic way, but in this scope I think we don't want to do that .

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Proposal to reword this:

July 5th and September 13th because they are Sundays and people tend to do a lot of weekend work when submitting proposals in these kind of events. You avoid any timezone misinterpretations looking at whatever has been received before Monday morning European time.
Seems fine to me, thanks for the your suggestions

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
PLATFORM DEVELOPERS: convince developers that they should be developing new software for Maemo (and try to pull people for iPhone, Blackberry, Android and other platforms although without the financial incentive that could be hard.).
Porting iPhone, Blackberry, Android, etc. applications wouldn't be platform development though, would it? Isn't the platform Upstart, Clutter, Meta Tracker, PulseAudio, Hildon, GTK, Qt, and so on? I'd think porting from other platforms would fall in with:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
APP DEVELOPERS: convince upstream to port to Maemo and show how easy it is for technical people to package for Maemo.
How about:
  • Users: get the most out of Maemo and Mer, and get involved in our growing maemo.org community
  • Application developers: start your first Maemo application, bring your application to Maemo, and improve your development skills to take your applications further
  • Platform developers: dig in to enhance and extend the Maemo platform and the fantastic technologies upon which it builds
Good? No good? Suggestions? Should I put it into the wiki?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Porting iPhone, Blackberry, Android, etc. applications wouldn't be platform development though, would it? Isn't the platform Upstart, Clutter, Meta Tracker, PulseAudio, Hildon, GTK, Qt, and so on? I'd think porting from other platforms would fall in with:

How about:
  • Users: get the most out of Maemo and Mer, and get involved in our growing maemo.org community
  • Application developers: start your first Maemo application, bring your application to Maemo, and improve your development skills to take your applications further
  • Platform developers: dig in to enhance and extend the Maemo platform and the fantastic technologies upon which it builds
Me likey.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Well, academic or not, I've got a confirmation for our VIP guest on Day 1: Jim Zemlin, Executive Director of Linux Foundation, will give us a key note presentation in the morning.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
How about:
Gotta love conversations going on in 3 different places (wiki, Talk, email). In my mind, what is in the wiki as the call for content is the reference - so yes, any suggestions coming out of email or Talk should get put in the wiki or at least the Talk page there, so that we work towards a final call for content.

I suggested yesterday in email that there are two ways to define the tracks: either we talk about the target audience, or the type of presentations we think the target audience is interested in. In general, you can imagine that the descriptions starts with "People who..." or "Presentations about..."

I quickly thought that this might be a good way to describe the tracks, in both ways:

First way:
  • Users: Want to get the most out of their Maemo based hardware, or are interested in contributing to the Maemo community.
  • App developers: Write great applications on top of the Maemo platform.
  • Platform developers: Interested in getting down to bare metal, hacking on the platform or one of its components

Second way:
  • Users: Show off something cool that lets people get the most out of their hardware, or present an aspect of the Maemo community where you need help
  • App developers: Help people get the most out of the Maemo platform, and write great apps
  • Platform developers: You're hacking on the platform and want to show off great low-level hacks, this is the place for you

(or some variant of those)

The feedback I got was that the second way is better, so that's what I've just put in the wiki page.

Suggested improvements are welcome, we're going to send this out later to get presentation proposals started already.

Thanks!
Dave.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
I suggested yesterday in email that there are two ways to define the tracks: either we talk about the target audience, or the type of presentations we think the target audience is interested in. In general, you can imagine that the descriptions starts with "People who..." or "Presentations about..."
Reading sjgadsby's suggestion, there is a third way - tell the target audience what kind of sessions they can expect. "Come here if you want to..."

Looking at the 3 side by side, I think that the call for content, being targeted more at the people who are submitting proposals, should give guidelines on the types of presentations we expect to see, which matches better the current version in the wiki.

Cheers,
Dave.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Between http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2009/Schedule and http://twitter.com/PeterMaemo/status/2204395247 Peter seems to be basically done with Friday morning already. That was much faster than what even myself expected.

Aiming to have the Friday afternoon somehow drafted during next week. Of course we might keep some slots for later. Feedback will be welcome about the content and format.

Then we could also start adding the clearly expected sessions in the schedule.

With Friday drafted and the obvious sessions in the schedule, the basic tone of the Summit will be set. This should be good enough to inspire submitters of new proposals and to help potential participants to make up their minds and start booking their travel.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Official Council Post:

http://maemo.org/community/council/m...tent_now_open/

Please add your content to the list!

Tim

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Done. Is there a special prize for first post ? :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Done. Is there a special prize for first post ? :-)
You get quoted ^ with a "Thanks" under it.

No, really.... Thanks!

Tim

Tags
summit