I decided to get a Samsung Galaxy Player 5". This is just a tablet, no phone hardware, so I still use the N900 as my phone.

Here are some opinions and observations.
Advantages of Android (on the Samsung Galaxy Player):
1. Much nicer screen (5", can view movies on it, play games, etc.) without eye strain.
2. The touch screen is sooo much better. After playing with it for a while, the N900 screen seems very insensitive (must press harder).
3. Lots and lots of applications, almost any need can be satisfied.
4. The battery won't die in 8 hours of being idle. It can last for a few days in idle mode.
5. My device can be overclocked to 1.5Ghz (from 1Ghz) without increasing the base voltage too much. So it's almost twice as fast as an overclocked N900.
6. Same weight as the N900.
7. The speakers are quite a bit louder.
8. Compass and other sensors.
9. BT is better than the N900, especially with the WiFi on.
10. Skype has a much better video, and can select the front or back camera.

Advantages of N900
1. Keyboard (that's a really nice thing).
2. It has a phone built in And 3G too.
3. Notification lights.
4. Can run more programs at once, despite for the fact that it only has 256 RAM vs 512.
5. Runs Linux, can port some normal Linux programs to it.

Anyway, at home the Samsung is my 'default' toy. It's a really nice device, and I take it with me to places where I have WiFi. I use it a lot for games, some light browsing, and it's great for Skype with video. I also like the fact that Skype is a separate application, and not integrated with the phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
I decided to get a Samsung Galaxy Player 5". This is just a tablet, no phone hardware, so I still use the N900 as my phone.

Here are some opinions and observations.
Advantages of Android (on the Samsung Galaxy Player):
1. Much nicer screen (5", can view movies on it, play games, etc.) without eye strain.
2. The touch screen is sooo much better. After playing with it for a while, the N900 screen seems very insensitive (must press harder).
3. Lots and lots of applications, almost any need can be satisfied.
4. The battery won't die in 8 hours of being idle. It can last for a few days in idle mode.
5. My device can be overclocked to 1.5Ghz (from 1Ghz) without increasing the base voltage too much. So it's almost twice as fast as an overclocked N900.
6. Same weight as the N900.
7. The speakers are quite a bit louder.
8. Compass and other sensors.
9. BT is better than the N900, especially with the WiFi on.
10. Skype has a much better video, and can select the front or back camera.

Advantages of N900
1. Keyboard (that's a really nice thing).
2. It has a phone built in And 3G too.
3. Notification lights.
4. Can run more programs at once, despite for the fact that it only has 256 RAM vs 512.
5. Runs Linux, can port some normal Linux programs to it.

Anyway, at home the Samsung is my 'default' toy. It's a really nice device, and I take it with me to places where I have WiFi. I use it a lot for games, some light browsing, and it's great for Skype with video. I also like the fact that Skype is a separate application, and not integrated with the phone.
the galaxy note is the galaxy player with a phone

so if you really did want to replace the n900, that would be your most likely choice

The Following User Says Thank You to UCOMM For This Useful Post:
Yes, but it is much more expensive than the Galaxy player, close to 700 usd unlocked.

I bought my NOTE brand new for $690 with shipping and also got a 32GB microSD.

It can be had for ~$600 depending, and its worth its weight in gold$$$

I'm closely tracking the Ubuntu port and the Spark tablet. I think there might be a middle-ground somewhere. I think a dualboot into Linux+rpm+kde is possible just need the source which can be had from a range of devices (SGTABv, SGSII, SG NOTE all use Exynos) and also the LIMA driver.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
...Here are some opinions and observations. Advantages of Android (on the Samsung Galaxy Player)....
You are COMPLETELY wrong - what you observe ARE JUST HARDWARE advantages of contemporary HW against 3 years old one. Nothing to do with Android, which is just OS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
^Except for points 3, 4, 5, 10.
Android has had its time to incubate and fix up many kinks, which is why it works well on most new Android devices.

I seriously doubt Maemo5 (on SG 5") wouldn't have kwirks of its own.
Given the tender, love and care...then I'd agree with you.

And that's the most infuriating thing about Nokia. If the Apple first iPhone's software was 4/5 years advanced compared to the competition, then the N900's would be at least 5 years more advanced than it. Why, Nokia, Why !!?!!?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
The number of applications has to do with android. Even if the N900 had the same specs, you still couldn't do a lot of things because of the software.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
I am sure the Note would be worth the money IF I needed a phone. But I work from home, and most of the time (say, 99%) I am in the range of a wifi network. The GSM reception at my place is very poor, I can get SMSes, and make some broken voice calls if the stars are right. Data is almost a no go.

Anyway, I am very happy with the Galaxy Player, the only thing I wish it had was better cameras, The back and front cameras are OKish for Skype, but worthless for anything else. And maybe 1Gb of RAM, although 512 seems to be satisfactory.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@Kangal
point 3. I wont comment on "app mantra". Tired of it.
point 4. It is just completely WRONG. N900 lasts for more than A WEEK with GSM off.
point 5. It is HW issue.
point 10. What does Android (or OS) has to do with it?

Otherwise - I completely agree with the second part of your post.

Last edited by zlatko; 2012-02-19 at 09:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
I never had the N900 last for more than a day with GSM off, wifi on, skype and some voip stuff on. My Samsung will last for 2 days of standby AND moderate use. Granted, it has a bigger battery and a more efficient processor, but I think that's more to it than just hardware.

Talking about the OS without talking of hardware is meaningless. I think you can put Android on N900 (not sure how well it works, and if it is usable). You can't put Meego on the Samsung.

Anyway, I was comparing it with the N900. The N9 is closer in hardware specs, and I would not buy a N9, even if it were at the same price. What matters most is the software. You just can't get the software selection and ease of use on Maemo/Meego. Installing most of the stuff requires hacks, some minor some not so minor.

Tags
android, byebye nokia