So Is the Swyping thing the only trick in the bag ? I hope there is something more useful as well - like good apps integration with communication protocs, good FB / Twitter apps, good RSS readers (like Pulse) etc.

But I am sure the area Nokia will fail will be in having tie-ins with other companies for good content - like Apple / Google / Samsung try to put in place.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
For what it's worth, the N900 can "recognize" when a swipe comes from the outside of the bezel inwards. There's no reason that we can't have bezel-gestures like the PlayBook or webOS do - it just needs to be written properly.

Example -

Enter "edit mode" on the desktop and slide your finger from off the display onto it in left or right and the workspace will change while staying in edit mode. PR1.2's hildon-home allowed swiping down to bring up hildon-status-area, it's since been modified and lost.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
For what it's worth, the N900 can "recognize" when a swipe comes from the outside of the bezel inwards. There's no reason that we can't have bezel-gestures like the PlayBook or webOS do - it just needs to be written properly.

Example -

Enter "edit mode" on the desktop and slide your finger from off the display onto it in left or right and the workspace will change while staying in edit mode. PR1.2's hildon-home allowed swiping down to bring up hildon-status-area, it's since been modified and lost.
I think irggu is using i too.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by HaugMedia View Post
Random fact: Anyone that knows the norwegian company Trolltech is the inventor of Qt?
I first heard of TrollTech and Qt long before I had my N900. A Canadian developer was using it to develop a title (that I used for work) for Windows and Linux. I'm guessing 2003?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
So how,is this better than the N900 multitasking view? Whats the practical benefit of this. If,this was in any way gesture controlled than that would be good.
It has both Maemo5 style live thumbnail grid as well as the swipe off feature. So we are not missing out on what we are used to on the N900. But instead of camkeyd or any other method in N900, we can now switch between apps in a much more natural way it seems.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by RWFarley View Post
I first heard of TrollTech and Qt long before I had my N900. A Canadian developer was using it to develop a title (that I used for work) for Windows and Linux. I'm guessing 2003?
Yes, Without Qt no KDE desktop :-)

Qt also used in many commercial apps like Matlab/Mathematica etc...

Personally I think its the best crossplatform toolkit.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by HaugMedia View Post
I need investors, I want to make my own phone now, to please a huge crowd, not to get rich because I'm fine with what I have.
Interested. If you're serious you could join a little project we're thinking about here in Berlin.

Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
WebOS? So how is WebOS compared to Maemo 5? How are the PIM apps. I thought PIM is better on webOS ( never used it though, just from reviews) ecause of the Palm heritage. I always wanted a webOS phone but since I am now used to a superphone I would prefer to upgrade, not downgrade. The camera on webOS are all fixed focus.
webOS feels more like a phone OS. PIM: I would say they're on par. But webOS doesn't have a homescreen/widgets like maemo where you can put a calendar overview. So you have to start the calendar app. But I'm not a heavy PIM user, I only trust my brain..
Yes, the camera is a downgrade. I love to do macro shots with the N900. Not possible with a webOS device up to date.
There are some similarities regarding the UI comparing webOS and Harmattan. No wonder as the webOS UI designer works on Harmattan now.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
I hope that Intel buys Qt...I don't trust Nokia anymore since Elop

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
Example -

wow thanks. Did not knew that. Was so annoying to go in and out of edit mode to move things around.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
It has both Maemo5 style live thumbnail grid as well as the swipe off feature. So we are not missing out on what we are used to on the N900. But instead of camkeyd or any other method in N900, we can now switch between apps in a much more natural way it seems.
I would prefer camkeyd. The camera key is in the perfect position for the indexfinger when you hold it in landscape mode. For swiping you have to move your fingers/hand.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland