Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
"apparently we can't forget poland..."

er... sorry, what did you mean about apparent polish?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yeah, but objectively: more effort should have been put into crafting an actual ecosystem. That would have required a larger investment than was put into the project initially.
I'll give you that. Nokia deserves some blame for that.

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Maemo as an OS is 4+ years old. It is no one's but Nokia's fault that an OS was not developed in FOUR years that could span multiple devices without serious backward compatibility issues,

Not sure what you mean by that the other, now more successful alternatives, have no potential but Maemo who have not gained traction in 4+ years have.
See the original iPhone. It has gone as far as the updates can carry it. The n900 is getting qt 4.6 and and possibly qt mobility. Even the Bluetooth is compatible with future technologies. The n900 is capable of running meego too. There is room for growth on the other hand the original iPhone has peaked.

As much as we like to believe that maemo has been around for years, you need to accept that maemo 5 is a different animal. The move from tablet to smartphone was a huge jump. A jump that can be equated to starting afresh.

Sure, it is nokia's fault for not developing it as you would like. But no use crying over spilt milk. Maemo as a tablet-only os is dead. Maemo as a next gen os is alive and it starts with the n900. You can come off as elitist as you like. It doesn't change the fact that anything pre-n900 is dead

I personally think that nokia became the number one given small steps, not in on step. I think that nokia is still the number one, they are not loosing money, they are all the time improving and building step by step something that in the future will be really great.

Another think I like from Nokia is that they say things as they are. No need to say that they are the number one when they are not, like other enterprise.

Let see what will come.....

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
Others have caught up to Nokia for reasons that are their own doing.

The N95 was a great exmaple of them being able to lead in the market. the iPhone however is an even better example of Nokia not being able to react efficiently or fast enough to changing market conditions.

Nokia's main problems stem from the fact of not having a clear product strategy. While its great that they have a bazzilion phones out there. But, that doesn't help if they are in the volume sector as it'll make them no significant profit, period.

I suppose simplifying product naming like E,C,X series is a start. But they should look at standardising hardware specs too at some level. I cant imagine the overhead it brings having so many different HW platforms.

They should make tier 1,2,3 level hardware base specs and stick to them.

Why? Cause it helps in sustaining a platform easier.

Nokia has lost the plot on the software side, which is the basic requirement of success these days.

Fragmentation of symbian in silly feature packs is a grave they dug themselves. QT is great but I cant imagine how silly it is for them to expect portability, when I keep reading about meego/symbian specific APIs. Look at the hardware of the next expected Symbian3 device. The screen is nHd intead of Wvga(Meego). and that brings parity within their own product lines & if they stick to the silly nHD, they stand to be inferior very soon.

I don't even want to go the topic of silly product diiferentiation strategies of the N or the E series.

Look at their desktop suite. Its not multi-platform and keeps getting bloated every revision I see.

Ahhh.. the wholy grail.. The UI as everyone keeps bickering about. Functional is what i like, but thats not somwthing that would make me recommend a device to a non-geek friend of mine.

Symbian touch is about the most clunky UI I have ever seen, its like "inconsistencyRus".

Maemo while much better is a case of lacking come common UI design sense. E.g. look at the space wasted by the top bar in all applications, look at the extra step needed to jump between 2 fullscreen browser windows(I installed ShorcutD to mitigate it).

A few essential buttons like the N810 or even android would help. But where is that sense?

Imagine the difficutly if we had potrait mode, try hitting the menu/close button then.

Bottom line.
Nokia needs a consistent, easy and sustainable hardware/software/apps ecosystem or they stand to lag behind in all aspects that matter eventually.

This is the place where having a draconian head to provide focus helps. But nokia appears to be the case of the left hand not knowing what the right is upto

PS: Before anybody thinks of this as a rant. How many of you would recommend a N900 to a friend? I wont, even though I love mine to bits. In fact somehow I cant think of any Nokia phone except the E71/E72 that I'd ever recommend. Doesn't look good to me at least.

Last edited by un-named_user; 2010-04-22 at 20:40. Reason: Typo.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
What I don't fully understand is:

Nokia reported today that their smartphone marketshare went up to 41% in Q1/2010. It was 40% in Q4/2009 and 38% in Q1/2009. So when it comes to smartphones, people buy Nokia. Period.

Last thing I remember about Apple was that their market share was around 16% and declining.

How do these figures match the "Nokia is doomed" and "Nokia has lost 2010" speech?

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

Nokia reported today that their smartphone marketshare went up to 41% in Q1/2010. It was 40% in Q4/2009 and 38% in Q1/2009. So when it comes to smartphones, people buy Nokia. Period.

Last thing I remember about Apple was that their market share was around 16% and declining.

How do these figures match the "Nokia is doomed" and "Nokia has lost 2010" speech?
People is stupid enough to think there is no profits in the low end market, and that something flashy = success.

Henry Ford and the T-Model would beg to disagree.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Last edited by mrojas; 2010-04-22 at 21:03.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

wonder if you care:
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_q1_res...-news-1593.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_q1_results_are_out_looking_good_but_symbian^ 3_gets_delayed-news-1600.php

now keep in mind, its a comparison btw nokia's various smart phones vs just iphone alone. so lets do the math.

Last edited by junooni; 2010-04-22 at 20:54.

Originally Posted by un-named_user View Post
Others have caught up to Nokia for reasons that are their own doing.

The N95 was a great exmaple of them being able to lead in the market. the iPhone however is an even better example of Nokia not being able to react efficiently or fast enough to changing market conditions.
Nokia's reaction, short-term, was the 5800 XM. Quite a success.

Nokia's main problems stem from the fact of not having a clear product strategy. While its great that they have a bazzilion phones out there. But, that doesn't help if they are in the volume sector as it'll make them no significant profit, period.
They do have a clear product strategy, based in the motto "One size doesn't fit all". It was presented crystal clear in Nokia World, in the presentation of Capital Markets, etc. Just google around for it.

The 3rd world market is in fact the market where the money is. The richest man of the world based his money in mobile in the developing world. Source: http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...th-mobile.html

I suppose simplifying product naming like E,C,X series is a start. But they should look at standardising hardware specs too at some level. I cant imagine the overhead it brings having so many different HW platforms.

They should make tier 1,2,3 level hardware base specs and stick to them.

Why? Cause it helps in sustaining a platform easier.
The whole idea of Qt, of Symbian passed to the Foundation and MeeGo is precisely to make hardware irrelevant, as long is running Qt. In a sense, an OS is a virtualization layer between the HW and SW. That is why I know I can run Windows or Linux software on my PC, independently if its an Acer, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

Nokia has lost the plot on the software side, which is the basic requirement of success these days.

Fragmentation of symbian in silly feature packs is a grave they dug themselves. QT is great but I cant imagine how silly it is for them to expect portability, when I keep reading about meego/symbian specific APIs. Look at the hardware of the next expected Symbian3 device. The screen is nHd intead of Wvga(Meego). and that brings parity within their own product lines & if they stick to the silly nHD, they stand to be inferior very soon.

I don't even want to go the topic of silly product diiferentiation strategies of the N or the E series.
While I don't like the differences between FP's and N and E series, it is clearly working for them (i.e: marketshare just grew, see post above mine).

Ahhh.. the wholy grail.. The UI as everyone keeps bickering about. Functional is what i like, but thats not somwthing that would make me recommend a device to a non-geek friend of mine.

Symbian touch is about the most clunky UI I have ever seen, its like "inconsistencyRus".

Maemo while much better is a case of lacking come common UI design sense. E.g. look at the space wasted by the top bar in all applications, look at the extra step needed to jump between 2 fullscreen browser windows(I installed ShorcutD to mitigate it).

A few essential buttons like the N810 or even android would help. But where is that sense?

Imagine the difficutly if we had potrait mode, try hitting the menu/close button then.
And that is exactly why MeeGo is coming around, and why Symbian^3 and 4 are being designed.

Bottom line.
Nokia needs a consistent, easy and sustainable hardware/software/apps ecosystem or they stand to lag behind in all aspects that matter eventually.
Agreed, and they are working on it. That you have been unable to inform yourself adequately, or disagree with their decisions, doesn't invalidate them.

PS: Before anybody thinks of this as a rant. How many of you would recommend a N900 to a friend? I wont, even though I love mine to bits. In fact somehow I cant think of any Nokia phone except the E71/E72 that I'd ever recommend. Doesn't look good to me at least.
I have done so, and they are happy with their N900's.

[rant]One thing that I hate from Internet, is that anyone is free to spew their opinions, no matter how misinformed they are, and present it as the holy grail of truth. It is something that is happening in the media as well, sadly.[/rant]

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Last edited by mrojas; 2010-04-22 at 21:00.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
As much as we like to believe that maemo has been around for years, you need to accept that maemo 5 is a different animal. The move from tablet to smartphone was a huge jump. A jump that can be equated to starting afresh.
I'm not expert in this area by any means so correct me if I'm wrong but these don't seem that big differences to me (Fremantle changes). Sure there's OpenGL ES but that's just for eye candy. What matters are the layers below UI. There you make or break compatibility. If Fremantle on N8x0 is totally impossible, why smart people behind Mer even started the project? So can you show me why the jump is bigger than I think?

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source