Originally Posted by vijayv View Post
@josh : great work dude, had wanted this fixed from day one. Especially useful while receiving calls from land line. Many a time people ask for some detail and you move away from the phone app. And power button menu is the exact place for it , really good for one hand operation.
Thanks! I'm glad you found it useful.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@Slender: where did you come up with the 90% statistic ? Some people just tend to assume everyone else does things just the way they do.

--Vj
As i said it was just shot in the dark. After being helpdesk and allround guy from IT to Hifi stuff to my friends and relatives I have seen (TOO) much people who I would regard as Average Joe. But still itīs true that we would need proper metrics to measure that thing. It was just wild guess if it was not clear enough from the text itself.

Originally Posted by josh View Post
I make use of multitasking while on the phone relatively often, to look something up; even more often now that I have a Bluetooth earpiece. Recent example, when calling my wireless carrier: "Do you have a land-line I can call you back on so you can get the IMEI from your phone?" "Actually, I can look that up while on the phone; one moment please." Menu -> Settings -> About product, ... (They could use the IMEI to look up the phone's capabilities to tell me whether it could successfully roam on their network.)

However, I didn't create the "End call" option for myself; I just switch back to the phone app and end the call. The person I created this option for doesn't really multitask, though they do leave programs running sometimes. However, more than once they've somehow ended up with the screen blanked but a call active (still not quite sure how), and in this situation the phone doesn't give any visible indication of an active call, leading to a request for some way to ensure that the phone is off.

Potential hardware designers, take note: hardware "answer" and "end call" buttons considered essential for some users. And considering the N900's screen has a significant gap between the right edge and the bezel...
Yes" it's better to have Option,hope u put it with reboot button in extra,thank-x bro

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@josh : great work dude, had wanted this fixed from day one. Especially useful while receiving calls from land line. Many a time people ask for some detail and you move away from the phone app. And power button menu is the exact place for it , really good for one hand operation.
But phone app disconnects when person to whom you are talking disconnects? But itīs true that sometimes you want to disconnect so itīs nice to have option. Why especially land line? How it differs from people calling from mobile?

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Implementing the "End call" menu item took a fair bit of exploration and experimentation, so I want to document how it works as an example for how to implement more complex power-key menu items that use D-Bus and keyfile-based visibility.

Code:
<powerkeymenu path="/">
 <menuitem priority="10" name="End call" visible="yes">
  <keyfile>/var/run/mce/call</keyfile>
  <icon>red_end_call</icon>
  <callback service="com.nokia.csd.Call" path="/com/nokia/csd/call" interface="com.nokia.csd.Call" method="Release" bus="system">
  </callback>
 </menuitem>
</powerkeymenu>
A power-button menu file uses XML, and requires a root tag of <powerkeymenu path="/">.

The "End call" item uses a <menuitem> tag, and name="End call" attribute specifies the text that appears in the menu item. (I should really add a <po> tag in the <menuitem> so that this uses the same localized text for "End call" that the Phone UI does.)

priority="10" determines where the item appears in the power button menu. Smaller numbers appear earlier in the menu. priority 10 makes "End call" appear before all the existing defined menu items.

<keyfile>/var/run/mce/call</keyfile> and the visible="yes" attribute on the <menuitem> make the "End call" button only appear when on a call. The file /var/run/mce/call contains "yes" when on a call and "no" when not on a call; visible="yes" says to make this item visible only when the keyfile contains "yes".

The <icon> tag specifies the icon; red_end_call corresponds to the icon used by the phone UI.

<callback> says to make a D-Bus call when running this menu item. The method com.nokia.csd.Call.Release will end the current call. (Everything I've found says that I should use Telepathy calls for this instead, but I haven't found the right D-Bus interface to use for that; suggestions welcome.) Since the Release method doesn't take any arguments, I don't have to specify any <argument> elements inside the <callback>.
This is awesome. BIG Thank You for explaining this in such detail. Wish many people did this too. Amazing. Wish to see many such hacks/apps from you moving forward.

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
How odd, I was about to start looking into doing this, so a big thank you for saving me the time! Awesome!

I received a new email yesterday as I was leaving work.. Tapped on the yellow "new mail" box, not much happened.. never mind, made a call to a friend.. few seconds into the call the mail client had appeared on screen..

problem was, the phone had for some reason hit a laggy spot.. couldn't close the mail client, couldn't open the desktop switcher.. wasn't really doing much and now the call had rung out and was diverted to answer phone..

Interstingly the only thing still working was the power button menu.. "I wonder if I could add a "end call" item" I though after pressing "power off" to end the call

Good job!

firstly, FYI, the Phone Speakers Switcher app (great in its own right) also has a configurable setting to allow you to answer and end calls with a FULL press of the camera key. That works very well (only downside is that it also opens the camera app in background on "standby" with a message saying lens cover is closed). That's not much of a problem - I would only use the cam button to end call in the odd ocasion that the phone had a hiccough just as I wanted to hangup. Maybe worth checking out PSS as an additional/alternative h/w option for call control?

Secondly:
Originally Posted by a young git
I still donīt get this completely. AFAIK Phone blanks after call if opposite disconnects you or if you press disconnect. Are we dealing with 40+ old users here
You young whippersnapper! If I could get out of my rocking chair and get my specs on & slippers off, I'd give you a proper seeing to :-) Seriously, I do often multi-task on the phone, and depending on what I do, it can quite often be difficult to end the call in a timely manner.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Pune, India
I have written some code in Qt to answer a call using the power button, just a single press. Does anyone think this is worth an app?

The awesome shortcutd app can do something similar but not with the power button. I am thinking a fully configurable app so that user can map a list of functions to hardware buttons.

If you could also make tapping the power button hang up an active call, that would *rock*. The lack of a dedicated hardware "end call" button represents the biggest complaint the users I know have made about the N900, and the mechanism you describe would go a long way towards fixing that. It would certainly make my work in this thread obsolete, apart from serving as an example of how to edit the power button menu.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Pune, India
Just attached the work I have done till now here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...192#post892192