Hi,
I just received the N900. I always used symbian phones.

On symbian I setup the email accounts to automatically check for new emails every 15minutes. Then the phone, every 15min, starts the data connection, download new emails and after that closes the data connection.

With the N900, AFAIK, the data connection is always connected...
Is there really no way to have it close the data connection after the mail checking is completed (if no other programs is using it)?

Thank you,
Roberto

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
go to your homescreens, click the top bar to open the quickbar menu. There you can disable/enable bluetooth/wlan/umts(3G) connections.
Should also be possible in menu->settings.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

If I disable in settings than the mail will never be checked automatically.

If I go via the quickbar, I have to always do that manually as after every mail check it will stay connected again. not very useful.

To me it seems that the only way is to be always connected... and it drains the battery a lot.

Thank you,
Roberto

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Originally Posted by francorg View Post
If I disable in settings than the mail will never be checked automatically.

If I go via the quickbar, I have to always do that manually as after every mail check it will stay connected again. not very useful.

To me it seems that the only way is to be always connected... and it drains the battery a lot.

Thank you,
Roberto
Unless you really checked and your N900 drains the battery a lot then I would say: no it doesn't.

The tablets, especially the latest N810 were super good at battery conservation. I was actually amazed how optimized they are at this. And seems that N900 follows in their footsteps from this point of view.

I am always online and there is no noticeable battery drain because of this. My former Android G1 would be long gone battery wise in the same conditions.

As long as there is no app really using the connection then the N900 nicely stays in a standby mode where it consumes very little.
Of course if you have stuff going on in the background then yes battery will be consumed both by CPU and by the connection.

I will do some test during these days but I'm pretty sure that having the N900 always connected either on WLAN or on 3G will make me have hard time to have the battery last for a whole day (7am - 0am)

It would be really useful, I think, if the N900 could stay disconnected unless an app is needing a data connection.

Thank you,
Roberto

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany

It would be really useful, I think, if the N900 could stay disconnected unless an app is needing a data connection.
Easily realizable with an app. but srsly, the N900 is developed to be a device that is connected 24/7 with the internet. Why?
Because:

1.) As you said, you could always receive an important email where you want to answer ASAP

2.) Someone could send you an instant message, you are reachable through im clients 24/7 which is awesome and no other mobile has integrated in the OS (you need to open a web browser for IM there)

3.) Someone could skype call you

and so on..and so on...

And btw, I don't find it that hard to do 3 clicks to switch it off manually, but as said above, that ofc, can be handled by an app or fw upgrade.
If you think it's a musthave, feel free to put that in the brainstorm section and create a brainstorm idea.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I will do some test during these days but I'm pretty sure that having the N900 always connected either on WLAN or on 3G will make me have hard time to have the battery last for a whole day (7am - 0am)

Thank you,
Roberto
Having the device search than log on to data networks every 10 minutes might actually use more battery than always on.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US

Thank you,
Roberto
Mine lives through the day for sure, *with* other usages as well (internet browsing, phone talk, etc).

Don't u guys think its a safety issue not to have it on all the time.
Considering radiation? As if your (almost) talking with it all the time?

no........

Tags
it's a frigging computer, of course it's always on