Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Ever noticed that nobody has really talked about getting MeeGo onto anything as of yet?
https://www.google.com/search?q=meego+on+galaxy
and
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...t=meego+galaxy
and
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...t=meego+galaxy

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Why isn't there activity in that area like there are over other devices - look at XDA Developers for some serious activity in that regard.
I think it's because they won't be able to get moneyca (Get it?) from it. Lets face it, Not everyone wants to make Apps for free, some do, and i love a free app, No lies there, but some want money, so developers are thinking, Nokia closed the official store, So developing Meego apps means , almost no money for them. this is not appealing to everyone.

Plus i would think you would be able to put Meego On Samsung GS2 because they used the same Kernel as Meego, with differences, they both used a Monolithic Kernel, with a few alterations Googles part, so it should not be that hard to port Meego to an android developed device but for the amount of work, some developers would not see it as worth it. Seeing they will not be able to have a steady relationship with Moneyca (Did it again LOL ). My opinion anyways.

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-03-24 at 18:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashbeck For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
That first like is in regards to the MeeGo Tablet. You conveniently overlooked my continued statement that it was not the handset variant of MeeGo.

Two paths. Moblin was mostly the MeeGo Tablet version. I'm talking about the MeeGo Handset - thus Maemo derived (mostly).

The last two were idle talk, nothing happened. I'm talking about results. I just flashed ICS onto a Kindle Fire last night. I've flashed Android onto a HP TouchPad in the past. I overclocked and flashed HoneyComb and now ICS onto a Nook Color last year. I waited for the MeeGo tablet version for the Nook Color, it was shown, but I don't recall an bootable ISO ever coming out in full - a lot of work was done by wmarone, but it was a shell, some UI...

There are more visible attempts - like here - but as far as it goes, MeeGo tablet (Moblin) was more prevalent than MeeGo handset (Maemo) onto any device.

If you have more than brainstorm links to share, I'm game. But so far, the devices have been mostly tablets. Not all, but most.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
Not everyone wants to make Apps for free, some do, and i love a free app, No lies there, but some want money, so developers are thinking, Nokia closed the official store, So developing Meego apps means , almost no money for them. this is not appealing to everyone.
That's somewhat the opposite of what FOSS stands for. Not that everything should be free, but everything should be open. It's a meritocracy that folks love and like about FOSS - and MeeGo was supposed to have embraced that fully - it didn't, they brought along Aegis which was a hindrance to some development - and the store was supposed to be more open... we all know how that worked out as well.

Plus i would think you would be able to put Meego On Samsung GS2 because they used the same Kernel as Meego, with differences, they both used a Monolithic Kernel, with a few alterations Googles part, so it should not be that hard to port Meego to an android developed device...
And that's what kills me. You'd think you'd see folks moving MeeGo in more directions than just the N9. Instead, we have a more successful port of Android to the N9; not the other way around.

Is it possible? Invariably so. Has it been done to a point where folks embrace it, talk about it, continue to improve upon it like a CyanogenMod or the like?

Not in the least. I don't think it's the lack of money, it's the lack of interest.

but for the amount of work, some developers would not see it as worth it. Seeing they will not be able to have a steady relationship with Moneyca (Did it again LOL ). My opinion anyways.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I see what you're saying... and have to say that money isn't the biggest problem for developers that would be around here. I think it's ease of getting your stuff out there in front of a lot of people.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
they brought along Aegis which was a hindrance to some development
Isn't Aegis Harmattan only ? I got the impression that MeeGo used some other security mechanism.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
I think it's ease of getting your stuff out there in front of a lot of people.
I had to back up upon something that i remember, Like you said, i don't think it's the lack of money, here is my theory,

Nokia- Intel creates a love child, Meego Harmattan, Intel rans away and leaves and leaves Nokia to bring up the child alone.

Ms- comes and will support Nokia, and at that point.

Ms-Nokia is trying to kill the love child Harmattan, By saying that even if it is a success we won't return,

Thanks to the INTERNET and the Chinese whisper sites, People now believe that Meego is dead.
Because a large company like Ms-Nokia has said it. Most people know nothing about Os, Kernels or anything, so if Nokia says, People think, They say, therefore, Must be

I believe you are right when you say about getting your product out there, Most people have no idea, they literally get things because someone says ICS is good, iOs is Good, But don't know anything about it.

Seeing Ms-Nokia has/is trying very hard to kill the love child, Normal people, will think, well i won't get any app support so, it would not be appealing to them, and so they would not want to change. So Ms- Nokia has tried very hard to make sure, the love child does not show it's face again.

and this is what i believe is causing problems to developers.

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-03-24 at 18:55.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
That would rock (until Tizen is ready).
Tizen browser score

I had to back up upon something that i remember, Like you said, i don't think it's the lack of money, here is my theory
Exactly. Besides... being a big fish in a little pond (MeeGo) would honestly be a great thing. Even that's not the case... exposure for MeeGo is anemic, almost nonexistent if you're not savvy. And if you're Japan or North America, it's zero (Mexico excepted).

Theory...
I see your theory and raise you a cause/effect.

February 2010 - Nokia commits to MeeGo fully. No other handset announcements come after that announcement that is positive - later in the year, LG backs out after showing a nearly completed product and no reason is given. No products are shown that more than a shell, a very simple UI and some mockups for months. Intel is rather reticent on their involvement, Linux Foundation says that they will not host the MeeGo source (rather dubious).

February 2011 - A year later after the MeeGo commitment and there's no fruits of Nokia's labor to be seen in stores yet - only the WeTab exists and it's shrouded in issues because of its CEO giving it only 5 star ratings on Amazon.de and then Elop drops a mother****ing nuclear bomb on any forward movement with MeeGo - Nokia announces a partnership with Microsoft, declares there is a burning platform, Symbian also will die.

So... here's the cause. The slowness that Nokia exhibited with Maemo developed OS and products - only one iteration (for the most part) of hardware per iteration of OS (N810 and N810 WiMax - also not a good choice since WiMax is all but dead now) led to Maemo 6 not being in a place where the entire public, not just us enthusiasts, hackers and people that love having something new, shiny and not made by Apple (for the most part) in our hands.

That meant Elop could waltz in, say one very true thing "Can we launch it today? No? It's in the way." and nobody from the board members to senior executive staff could argue that. Also, Maemo products were not in the same league as their best selling Symbian devices. Not in the least. And Maemo has never enjoyed the same level of funding, engineer support or internal support as Symbian... which is also to be led off and killed in order to support their (Nokia's) new WP7 line.

So... here's the effect. Read the February 2011 announcement part again. Due to the slowness, due to the inability to shove something out right then and there. So about 18 months or so after the Intel/Nokia MeeGo announcement, after Intel basically abandoned it, saw failure with their Intel AppUp (failure as in it is not as big as the Android Market, nor really even Blackberry's Market) and then they move on to Tizen, which will be hosted and supported by the Linux Foundation. The N9 becomes a one-off product that will probably get only PR1.3 support, equal to N900 and with the bug report deal closed, it's pretty much a sealed deal that we will not get more support outside of severe security issues for the rest of this year.

Nokia played it too slow with Maemo. The world passed them by with iOS, Android and others. Nokia allowed Elop to come in, make sweeping statements from a company that's more known for reticence. I sorta wished Elop would have learned the Nokia motto of remaining silent, releasing late instead of hyping WP7, killing Symbian, removing talented engineers from MeeGo, placing a bet on a lower-level Meltemi and an even lesser selling WP7 and sealing the deal on this site, the Harmattan engineers and closing factories in Europe and shifting production to Asia... just like everybody else.

Cause/effect as I see it. Your theory has a lot of truths in it. I just think that it's far simpler than your theory. See the bolded bits in the prior paragraph to see how simple it truly is, imho.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Tizen browser score
That score is for HTML5 specifically, it's not a general browser score.

I had to back up upon something that i remember, Like you said, i don't think it's the lack of money, here is my theory,

Nokia- Intel creates a love child, Meego Harmattan, Intel rans away and leaves and leaves Nokia to bring up the child alone.

Ms- comes and will support Nokia, and at that point.

Ms-Nokia is trying to kill the love child Harmattan, By saying that even if it is a success we won't return,
Your theory is way off target from real world events. It was not Intel which ran away from the MeeGo project it was Nokia which declared MeeGo will be a one-off wonder in N9 and discontinued after the mole Elop took control. Intel was kicked out into the cold without a hardware partner then Samsung came in and proposed Tizen.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down