Active Topics

Closed Thread
I was getting a little bored with all the amateur sleuths and stockbrokers speculating on what may or may not happen to Nokia etc.... http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ighlight=stock

HOWEVER, I must apologise for being so cynical, having just happened to catch 5 minutes of Bloomberg News this morning.

They showed a graphic called ‘Patent Envy – Who has the most patents?’
Nortel: 6,000
Motorola: 17,000
Nokia: 42,000

Based on the Googorola deal they estimate Nokia’s current value to be about $20 billion whereas the value of the patents based on Motorola’s should value the company at around $30 billion.

Nokia and RIM’s shares are up 17.26%

It seemed that Bloomberg were suggesting that Nokia is ripe for a takeover!

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
I wonder what will Elop do in order to make the stock drop again. Maybe he'll leak some video when he's saying how much symbian sucks and how people that buy Nokia phones are stupid

Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
I wonder what will Elop do in order to make the stock drop again. Maybe he'll leak some video when he's saying how much symbian sucks and how people that buy Nokia phones are stupid
No, this time he has to attack the perceived value of Nokia patents. Perhaps he will decide to "settle" one or more current patent lawsuits against Nokia?

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by oweng View Post

It seemed that Bloomberg were suggesting that Nokia is ripe for a takeover!
So ^THAT is why Microsoft is giving out statements like this:
http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-w...source=twitter

Lol! Talking about amateurs!

Ah so WM7 is now an open platform? Does that make linux/Meego closed?

Oh so sorry me English not soo good me from UK....

All hail MS...

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
So ^THAT is why Microsoft is giving out statements like this:
http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-w...source=twitter

Lol! Talking about amateurs!

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by oweng View Post
Ah so WM7 is now an open platform? Does that make linux/Meego closed?

Oh so sorry me English not soo good me from UK....

All hail MS...
Don't worry dude! It's not your English, it has to be something else

By the way I'm not sure... maybe it's just my bad English but I think it's called WP7.

We could call it many things... but we'll stay polite!

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
Don't worry dude! It's not your English, it has to be something else

By the way I'm not sure... maybe it's just my bad English but I think it's called WP7.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by lma View Post
No, this time he has to attack the perceived value of Nokia patents. Perhaps he will decide to "settle" one or more current patent lawsuits against Nokia?
This time heŽll give a big portion of them over to MS as a sign of "our enduring committment to the Windows Phone partnership"

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
This time heŽll give a big portion of them over to MS as a sign of "our enduring committment to the Windows Phone partnership"
However Nokia patents are not that useful against Linux anyway. Curiously the patent pledge seems to have disappeared from nokia.com, but there's a copy here.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Didn't Elop already do somekind of patent deal with MS?

EDIT: Yes, it was part of Nokia and Microsoft deal.

4. An agreement that recognizes the value of intellectual property and puts in place mechanisms for exchanging rights to intellectual property. Nokia will receive substantial payments under the agreement.

And there are already claims that MS is using the patent deal with Nokia illegally and uncompetively to attack Android.

Barnes & Noble claims Microsoft Nokia patent pact is illegal

Last edited by Rauha; 2011-08-16 at 15:25.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen