Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Nokia N9

Cons
Limited amount of apps
Questionable future update support
Uses Micro SIM
Not really questionable future support. Support till 2015, and besides, even if it was just PR 1.0 and never another SW update, it still beats the crap out of my old SGS2 in terms of just... everyday use, and "sweet..." factor.

Limited apps... Well, depends. I mean, they say (on android) the top 20 apps account for 50% of all app use, and the top 50 apps account for 2/3rds of all appuse.

Personally, I never had 3049683 apps on my SGS2. I had the basics. Browser. Handcent. Swiftkey X. Things like that. Thinking back, most apps were just apps that were better than the stockapps. Dolphin HD instead of SGS2 browser, Swiftkey instead of the Samsung one, Handcent instead of Messaging, etc.

The rest were just homescreen-changing things like minimalistic text, etc.

Ive yet to want an app for the N9 that doesnt exist. Except a g+ app, but its not that big of a deal for me personally :P . Oh, and an MSN plugin. But I assume thats coming shortly.

Microsim isnt really a drawback. Its just a simcard. You put it in there and leave it there, never to be seen again. Should be easily available from your operator.

Motorola Droid RAZR
Android OS is not as intuitive as Meego
Android OS also cant appswitch as fast as meego, which for me at least is huge. Reading a book and checking an email and copying said email to a forum, posting it, and going back to your ebook shouldnt be the way Android does it. Its... no good. This is the kind of small thing Meego just cleans house with. Regular use type stuff. Not mindblowing "jesus christ thats SO COOL" stuff. But basics.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Pros
Comes with ICS preinstalled
Fresh updates directly from Google
Amazing screen resolution (1280x720)
Cons
ICS is still not as intuitive as Meego on N9
Design doesn't have the premium feel that of the N9 or RAZR
ICS Ive heard has nice appswitching though, not sure as I havent tried it myself. But if I were to get an android device, I sure wouldnt get the Nexus, as the design is pretty shabby IMO. Id rather wait for SGS3 or something along those lines.

Personally the N9 for me beats the crap out of my SGS2, which is similiar to the Nexus hardwarewise IIRC, and thus Ill just stick to my N9 until perhaps a WP8 monster phone from Nokia when the time is right.

Im still finding that I can be sitting out on a park bench, reading my ebook on my N9, now and then switching to reload forums in Opera Mobile 11.1, answering a cute text from my girl, resuming my reading, getting an idea and jotting it down in the note-app, and back to reading, all the while having the soundtrack from Game of Thrones tv series running, and I look down at the phone and just think "damn". Then I smile and enjoy my day some more.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
Iphone 4s?

~wooopsss...runnn~

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
none. Galaxy Note!

if it's not more expensive than others. you will regret your mini screen a year from now if you go for the other

Last edited by Dave999; 2011-11-11 at 15:50.

A year from now youll be buying something else anyways, but... with Note you get what... 18 months of promised updates, if its like the SGS2.

With N9 you get until 2015.

Iunno, id rather have the N9 as said. Or Id get a Note if I could use android without frustration.

As a sidenote, N9 just won mobile of the year and best design in some swedish phoneaward thing.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
well. best is to get both like me and if support to 2015 turns out to be true( I doubt it) you are lucky. and if not, you have a big f***ing phone, plus a small one

Support != updates

Truth. But honestly, **** updates. If the N9 stays on PR 1.1 Id still take it over any android phone atm :P .

THAT BEING SAID, I wont be using the phone until 2015. The very latest Ill be getting a WP8 phone from Nokia if they manage to lure me away from the N9, or potentially ICS could lure me away, but that has to be a nextgen phone, not this SGS2/SGN ******** theyre doing atm .

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by slai View Post
A year from now youll be buying something else anyways, but... with Note you get what... 18 months of promised updates, if its like the SGS2.

With N9 you get until 2015.

Iunno, id rather have the N9 as said. Or Id get a Note if I could use android without frustration.

As a sidenote, N9 just won mobile of the year and best design in some swedish phoneaward thing.
Well, I also in the same situation.

Looking into N9 vs SGN/SGS2 and compare feature/price ratio I am torn too - paying 600+ for 1GHz, one core and know that market has 1.5GHz * 2 cores for the same price...

I got a problem this summer then in airport N900 performance was not enough to communicate with travel agent, look into web, and stay in line to registration with luggage in hands - it was nightmare and since that I am looking into fast device now. Of course, I like Linux-based OS and Android is the only a second choice, but... no luck today. I feel I may be needed to switch to ICS.

Doesnt android run heavier than maemo6/meego harmattan though? When speaking of processors, I mean.

From my end view as a user, the N9 is at least as fast as the SGS2 in use. SGS2 does have H+ connection, but N9 has a stronger connection normally where the SGS2 would flat out or revert to edge.

As for fast, the N9 is pretty damn good at multitasking and being fast. Its kind of its thing.

Operating with several tasks is far easier with the N9 than my SGS2. FAR easier.

Not sure about ICS multitasking/appswitching, but ICS is something Id consider only on a phone that runs it from the get-go. IE no spacewasting frontbuttons like on SGS2 and SGN.

Ive never felt appswitching with more ease than the N9.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Also depends on your primary use for the phone... the more I read about the N9 the less I want one, just a moment ago folks were discussing how badly the camera functions compared to the SGSII, still and video. The 5MP camera on the N900 was great, sad to see it didn't follow to the next flagship.

As well, keep an eye out for OS changes... things like the new top-down swipe in PR1.1, might be something you like or hate, depending again on your intended use.

Of the three you have to choose from, I'm leaning towards the Note. Just my preference, kinda gave up on finding a package like the N900 that doesn't have all the 'quirks' of Maemo... as fun as they are.

The N900s camera was probably great, its pretty **** as default though. I know, Ive used mine recently out of the box with the latest FW.

N9s camera is allright, could be better with updates and tweaks I guess, but it wont come close to the N8. Nothing really does. SGS2 camera is good, no doubt. But if you want a cameraphone, just get the N8. Difference between SGS2 and N9 quality aint that huge, IME.